The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Political Debate

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2004, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default The election is over

It is time to reflect on the strength of our multi-party system.

The primary strength of our system is it's ability to check itself. Both parties have been through a trial by fire and like all men and anything initiated by men they have been found wanting in some areas and have shined brightly in others.

The Democrats have fought with all of their hearts to get their message to the American people and in doing so have held a spotlight to many issues that need resolution.

The Republicans have held firm to their belief structure and in the end have extended the olive branch to the opposing party despite their deep ideological differences.

The responsibility of all Americans now will be to ensure that none of the voices heard during the election are forgotten. It is now time for the voices to rise as one course, leading our country in unity, securing a prosperous future for all regardless of party affiliation.

God Bless America, her allies, and all of her citizens.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2004, 04:27 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Very well said, David.

The most significant part of his acceptance speech was this:

"Reaching these goals will require the broad support of Americans. So today I want to speak to every person who voted for my opponent: To make this nation stronger and better I will need your support, and I will work to earn it. I will do all I can do to deserve your trust. A new term is a new opportunity to reach out to the whole nation. We have one country, one Constitution and one future that binds us. And when we come together and work together, there is no limit to the greatness of America."

True statements, and I hope he meant them. I hope he has the desire, will, and strength to bring this country closer together. I hope the PEOPLE have the desire, will, and strength to bring this country closer together. There's going to be some very sore losers out there, as well as gloating winners. I hope it doesn't take them long to get over it and move on. He won the election fair and square as far as I can tell. Now people need to come together as Americans, which we all ultimately are, and get behind the man. Whatever your feelings are about him, his SUCCESS is our success, and his FAILURE is our failure.

It's not going to be easy or happen overnight. What I read in the election being this close is that nearly half the population either feels disenfranchised and unrepresented by our government, has a distrust of our government, or all of the above. Personally, as a blue-collar working stiff, I never felt that this administration always had my best interest and well-being at heart. He's going to have a tough job of keeping his promise to EARN everyone's support and trust. It's going to take alot of people, citizens and politicians alike, to forget their egos and move more to the middle of issues for the good of ALL. A huge feat. I hope we're all up to it. I, for one, am willing to keep an open mind and try.

God Bless America.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:33 PM

Well said David... Our Democratic Republic is a flawed form of government, but it is light years ahead of whatever is in 2nd place!
Old 11-04-2004, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 

Quote:
[i]Whatever your feelings are about him, his SUCCESS is our success, and his FAILURE is our failure.
God Bless America.
Couldn't say it any better Tom.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:34 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post My Take on it all

Stayed away from this forum this election. I just hate polarizing arguements.

I voted for Bush for one major reason. He is on the correct side when it comes to the moral issues. However, I hope the Republicans can do much better in the area of social reform. We need to do something about the high cost of medicine. For those of us who are low middle class or high end poor and "self employed" the cost of medical insurance and medicine is unbelievable. I want to know why we can buy American manufactured drugs in Canada, Mexico, and India for about 1/4 - 1/3 the price we pay in the U.S. I believe we need to do a better job of protecting America's production from low-balling by Asian and Latin American sources.

I do feel the Democratic Party would betray my moral convictions and in a sense undermine those qualities which made America great. So I had mixed emotions about this election.

Tom,

I think you are right on: We as a country need to stop polarizing each other and get our act together to solve our country's problems.

We need to listen to each other's concerns with and an open mind and not a critical spirit.

I don't understand this deep seated hatred for Bush - or some have shown towards Kerry. Hatred does nothing but breed suspicions and distrust. Those who advocate hate on both sides of the issue and in both parties need to wake up and realize the damage they are causing us as a nation.

Just thinking.

Keith

P.S. James and Gimpy you'll always be my friends! I still love you guys.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:20 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Our "multi-party system" is a sham and a disgrace. Incumbents at every level have little if any opposition, because of the flood of money from special interest groups, including big drug companies, teacher's unions, big agriculture, unions, trial lawyer's groups, anyone with major legislation pending, and even Israel. Bush and Co. are spending our children's inheritance like the liberals of old they so use as the bogey-man. Third party candidates have no chance, unless they are "approved" and / or total loons like Perot. By any measure, his was a failed Presidency...and now we have "four more years"....thanks but no thanks...

Larry
Old 11-05-2004, 10:31 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Question I guess I don't understand.

I don't understand how we as sensible logical people can get so emotional over politicians. Having been in politics and worked with members of both parties I have real difficulty in having all this anger towards an individual I have never met and really don't even know as a person. Spin masters in both parties love to portray their men/women as saints and the opponets as an evil worse than the devil. Books written by both the left and the right politically go way overboard portraying these folks as worst kind of evil ever. Some liberal wrote a book this year telling everyone that if Bush got re-elected it would destroy democracy in America and it was a bunch of bull. Some conservatives wrote books telling everyone that the moral fiber of America would be destroyed by liberal idealism and that wasn't correct either. I have strong opinions about a lot things but I'm not going to allow my disagreements break down into hatred.
I don't hate Kerry or the liberals. I certainly believe the Republicans need to develop a better social conscience but I don't hate Bush either.
I think both men put forth ideas and philosophies they believed in and though I strongly disagree with those ideas I am not going to allow it to develop in bitterness and hatred towards anyone. It just isn't worth it to destroy my life getting angry with someone I really don't know.
James and Larry and I haven't always agreed on things but I will always think of James and Larry as friends. I would hope that we as veterans could learn to disagree without our disagreements going into bitternesss and anger. I hate the mud slinging that has occurred in American Politics. Why can't we stick to the issues, and allow the issues to speak for themselves without all these personal attacks.

Keith
Old 11-05-2004, 10:45 AM

Default Keith

To answer part of your question, I don't hate John Kerry so much as a politician. I hate the man because of his betrayal to the veterans.

He USED them at his convienience for his political needs. In the 70's when it was popular to hate the Vets, that's exactly what he did, he turned his back on them and betrayed them to make gains in politics. Now in 2004 when it's popular to respect us Vets, he now has pride in his service and tried to use it for political gains. That is what pisses me off about Kerry.

Do I think GWB is the greatest president we have ever had? No. Do I agree with how he is running this country? Mostly yes, but there are some issues that piss me off as well. The biggest reason I voted for Bush is because of Kerry's disrespect for Veterans more so then his politics. After what he did to the Veitnam Vets in the 70's, I could never trust him to run this country.

Put up a presidential candidate that's willing to take care of us Vets, whether he's republican or democrat, and he will most likely get my support.

You will only under estimate me once!
Old 11-05-2004, 07:50 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I just wish people would stop being nasty and let it go...its over already.

So so glad its over, just wish people would not be so negative about it!