The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Da Nang

The only place I ever was with a wood floor. I went looking for a picture but coun't find one. The tents had wood sides and wood floors. I spent most of my time there loading old mortar rounds onto a sling to be taken out in the ocean to be dropped in. Although that was a good job the Army had other ideas for an RTO in the infantry.
So they said , white beach, cold beer hot food, You gota leave, Im not real sure where they sent me next but it wasn't nice.
\Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2006, 05:27 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

We always had to stay in the Army Support Command Danang's compound when we came down from the north in convoys. No offence to those guys but to us they were the remf's. They all wore base ball caps, clean clothes and polished boot's. If there was a mortar attack 2 miles away the sirens went off and everyone rushed to the bunkers. We could eat at their mess halls and use the hot showers but not the barrecks. We slept in our trucks behind some fences in the sand. I think they looked down on us a little because were kind of dirty and scrufty and maybe didn't smell real good. Some times if just a few of us were there without any nco's we'd drop our trailers and drive the tractors around the city going to PX's, bowling alleys, hamburgers at the USO and the beach. [we were kids again.]
We thought we were back home again with our cars [tractors]. Until they would send someone down from Phu Bi to make us come back. Great white sand Beach at China Beach.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:31 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Today I know it was all of us in the same war , but for many years my wife would tell me " you think you were the only that was in a shooting war" and I didn't think there were many guys like me. As James would say Happy just to be alive. Thanks to all you guys. Short for the mountain !
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote