The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Military Weapons

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2003, 12:55 PM

Default Colt 1861 Navy

One of my buddies, at the local range, let me shoot his Colt 1861 Navy. (I hope I stated the correct year.) I shot six rounds off one handed. It sure was fun..

Another guy let me shoot his two trigger rifle. He also taught me how to load it. I was a little nervous about the recoil, but it didn't hurt. What a bang it made..

It was very exciting for me, as I've never shot anything old like those two weapons were.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2003, 05:23 AM

I take it, the Colt 1861 Navy was a 2d or 3d generation reproduction and not an original. They were almost identical to the 1851 Navy with the only difference being the Barrel. The bbl in the 1861 was round instead of octagonal. It's considered the "Prettiest" gun that Colt ever produced. .36 caliber.

The "2 Trigger" rifle.......do you mean a double set trigger? One to cock the hammer fly and the other to act as a "hair trigger" or do you mean a Wesson Two Trigger Rifle where the front trigger opened the action for loading and the rear trigger fired the weapon?

Shooting black powder is a lot of fun but.......the clean up afterwards is a bear! I usually leave the range with my face and hands smudged with burnt powder and covered with the associated smell.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:19 AM

I think it was a reproduction of the 1861. It was fun shooting.

You're correct about the double set trigger? One to cock the hammer fly and the other to act as a "hair trigger". I don't have any experience with the these two weapons. I was thrilled to have the opportunity to shoot them. For a moment, I felt like I took a trip back in time.

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:14 PM

Philly....I take it you live in Philly. PM me If you'd like to go shooting. My range is in Evesham, NJ (Square Circle) and I have a bunch of original Civil War weapons that I regularly shoot. I live in Cherry Hill. You're welcome to come to the range.