The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-15-2005, 01:28 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Cool Psyco Vet Recons The Delta

Psyco Vets MC; Bay Area Chapter [ABN] has arrived in the Mekong Delta. After about a 5hr. kamakazi ride [typical], we arrived in Can Tho. We made the trip in air conditioned comfort in a Mercedes van with our driver and interpreter. Very interesting trip, since I have never been this far south. this is the main reason we chose to come down here. Always looking for something new an Tom's Big Adventures.

When we arrived in Can Tho, we were taken directly to our hotel; The Victoria. The lap of luxory. As soon as we stepped into the place, we were given an ice cold face towel and a chilled juice drink. After checking in, we went to our room. A fair sized room with mahogany floors, mahoghany trim, nice furnishings, and french doors opening out to a small balcony that overlooks the Mekong River. Ate lunch in the dining room, but wasn't too impressed with the chow. We'll eat dinner in Can Tho. Find better food for less money.

In fact, we're in town now at an internet store; about $2.00/hr.. It's about $6.00/hr at the hotel. To get to town, we took a water taxi provided by the hotel at no charge. Going to do a little shopping, then find a place to eat when we are done here. Then we take the water taxi back to the hotel. All very exotic.

Tomorrow morning we, early, we catch a boat to take us to a couple of the famous floating markets. 95% of all the commerce in The Delta is done on the river and it's canals. See crafts of every size, up to small ships. Will tell about it tomorrow, given the chance. Kath says she wants to go shopping now :re: .

Talk at you later.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:48 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Tom

Try and see if you can find some collectables--like Vietnamese piastres or MPC (ROTFLMAO!)
Don't forget my tshirt! Something really cool I can wow the psycovets with. Like" I left my heart in Ban Me Thuot along with my liver, arm and half my toes"
sounds like youre going to have a great time. what an adventure!! I'm proud to have inspired you
Have a terrific time
Stay good ol pal and say hi to Kath!

james
Old 11-15-2005, 06:11 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Hey Tom

You're in my old 'stompin grounds'!...........take lots of pictures so's I can see how much things have changed since I went 'cruising around' and 'sloshing around' in those muddy waters down there!

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 09:14 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Tom,...

...james brought me some coffee last time you two went, and it was good,...

...If you see it, grab one for me, "PHUC LONG"......(Bob don't say a word, that IS the name of it), small 1 lb. package , redish , enjoy your trip,...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 11-16-2005, 02:35 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

James, got ya covered on the shirt, my friend.

Curtis, will keep my eyes peeled for the coffee. Gifts will be by request only this time around. Keep in mind, the biggest shirts I can find over here are XXXL [vietnamese] which equals about a XL with us. Hats are pretty much a can do.

Gimpy, will have plenty of pictures for you. This morning we went on a 2hr. [one way] boat trip up the river to a couple of the floating markets. Don't envy any of you boys that put in time patroling around here on the water; especially up some of those narrow little canals :ek: .

The Mekong is pretty much the breadbasket of the country; the south, anyway. I sure haven't seen any of the effects of Agent Orange overkill that the Commies keep bitchin' about down here. No deformed kids or two headed water buffalo.

Yesterday we had to cross the river on a ferry. While waiting in line to board it, several beggers came up to the van. A couple of them were obvious disabled vets, but I don't know which side. One was missing both hands, and the other an arm to the elbow. I just showed them my right hand that's missing parts and told them "Life's a bitch, and then you die." They didn't bother us anymore.

Late this morning, we left Can Tho and headed for Rach Gia. Took a little over 3hrs.. We made it to the hotel where we will spend the night. Quite a switch from the Victoria in Can Tho. Sits on a busy, noisey street, and doesn't have all of the amenities of the Victoria. James, about the equivelent of Ban Me Thuot or Pleiku. This internet connection is FREE, though.

Our guide was telling us that alot of commie Cambodians live here. They're pretty easy to spot with their darker skin. Earlier, Kath and I went out for a walk to eat and buy a couple of things [Kath needed a new hair curling iron :re: ]. Steve, you 9th ID boys must have really pissed in these people's nuoc mam back in the day . Got alot of hard looks from some of the older Vietnamese and most of the commie Cambodes. Probably didn't help that I walked around like I owned the place wearing my U.S. PARATROOPER hat :cl: . But also got alot of smiles and "Hello, hellos" from people, too. We passed an elementary school just as it was getting out for the day and about got mobbed, all of them wanting to try out their "Hello, how are you?" and "Where are you from?" Would get a lot of smiles and giggles when we would respond. Some of the boys would touch us, probably for bragging rights. Had one reach down and touch my leg tattoo. I can relate; I would have done the same thing.

Tomorrow morning we go down the the docks to catch the jet boat to Phu Quoc Island in the Gulf Of Thailand. About a 2hr. trip. Had the option to take the ferry with the poorer locals, along with the pigs and bicycles. About a 6hr. ride competing for your piece of deck space, but opted for the jet boat :re: . Enjoy taking in some of the local color, but in some semblance of comfort .

The northern end of Phu Quoc Island was an ARVN operated POW camp back in the day. I can only imagine what a fun place that was. Today, there's still some kind of military installation at that end, but the rest of the island has been being built up as a beach resort destination. All of the big, luxory hotels on it are 5-6yrs. old, or newer. It's mostly the western shore that has been developed, so it's one of the few places in VN where you can see a sunset over an ocean. Will get pictures for sure.

Well, I'm going to go back to the room and drink and cold one. Will tell ya how the boat trip went, tomorrow.

LET THE ADVENTURE CONTINUE!
Old 11-16-2005, 03:19 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Great trip Frisco

I was never in the Delta either. You are just a little south for the AO spray areas. The two headed fish contest is held on the saigon river north of Saigon.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:22 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Frisco and Kath!

Glad you guys are having a great time in the ol' green latrine. If you find any parts Gimpy left behind down there....put them on E-Bay when you get back! If you find my hip......well you won't be in my AO so guess I'll just have to go get it myself!

Have fun and stay safe. Glad your taking the speed boat to the island....I read too much about Asian Ferry's tipping over.

No tee shirt for me please......your right about the size.

Take care bro! And keep wearing the hat!

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 11-16-2005, 01:44 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Hey

Tom we didn't do a very good job of 'public relations' with the local citizenery round those parts while I was there (or after I left in November 67 either).

I was actually a little ways away from where you are at, up in Long An province near Tan Tru and An Nhut Tan. But, we were involved with Operation 'Coronado IV' in and around Co Cong and Kiuen Hoa provinces in late August and early September of 67. And then again during Operation 'Coronado V' along with elements of the 3rd and 5th Battalions of the 60th Infantry (Ninth Div).

I was with 2nd Battalion, 60th Infantry, 3rd Brigade (GO DEVILS) and we bought 'beau cou' smoke on Charlie's ass during the late summer and early fall of 1967.

We were staging out of Dong Tam for both of these operations and were also temporarily assigned to the MRF (Mobile Riverene Force) for part of this time. We had one day when we had 134 VC confirmed KIA's and 39 captured during Coronado IV and even more in Coronado V on two separate days of combat near the Rach Ba Rai river. We had a total of 18 wounded with no KIA in both of these operations.

So, needless to say, a lot of those guys you see walking around with missing limbs and various other infirmitaives are probably a result of us 'MUD GRUNTS"!

Once again, PLEASE take lots of pictures, I'd love to see if and how much things have changed.

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:03 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Great descriptions Frisco. It is always good for me to hear how the land has healed. Sin Loi if they are still angry.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:48 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default Frisco

As Fred said, great description. Tom I got an idea, why not tell Gimpy you'll take 100 pictures but he needs to go to Ellijay to see them.
You and Kath stay healthy and stay away from the chickens.

Andy