The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Enduring Freedom

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-22-2006, 08:54 AM

Boats, Beau, Murph and All:

Yeah Boats...somethings are easily remembered...and what to do when ya get incoming is one of those things. I think I may have already mentioned it in one thread or another, but it had been pretty quiet here around Kandahar UNTIL I ARRIVED!!! The day I got here, we got incoming that nite...and...it's been pretty steady ever since! :cd:

And Beau...desert is desert...sand/dust/muddy as hell when it rains...etc. This place, however, is FILTHY for the most part. The people live in squalor and (seemingly) consider it the norm.

Murph:

Answered your questions as to why I'm here in another post, but there are times when I wonder why I'm here!!!! Some days it's one step forward and three smartly to the rear! Gonna be interesting to see how the NATO folks do, because IF they don't start coming by some marked successes, this effort will go down the tubes and I do NOT want to be here should that come about...!

Net is really acting up tonite...has taken me three tries to get this far...gonna fly this and wish ALCON a VERY HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!

Will try to send you some flicks of our T-Day meal tomorrow...folks at the KBR Chow Hall hard at work (right now) to make it a special day for us!

Semper Fi to all from the Muddy Sands of Kandahar,
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2006, 03:58 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default desert is desert ...

I'd rather be in the High Desert of Arizona and New Mesico than any low desert like your in ... bless you and yours back in the world, I know you would rather be having chow with your family and serving up chop at the USO (like you did for a few years) ... but you WILL get home (thats about the most positive I can be ... as to your doubts about what you are doing their " one step forward ... and three back" (to paraphrase) ... well, the math don't look good ... pass the gravy).

Thank You,

Beau
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 03:40 AM

Default THE KANDAHAR

Desert is one of the hottest places in the world in the Summer...up to 150 in the sun...130 in the shade. That said, and now as we move thru Fall into Winter (and it happened within a couple weeks), it's cold (at least "cool"...night time lows in low 40s), rainy and about as different as it can be from only a month ago!

I posted some Thanksgiving Day flicks on the General Post Site.

Semper Fi to all from the Cold, Muddy Sands of Kandahar,
Old 02-07-2007, 11:56 AM

Here's some local stuff I picked up on the web about Kandahar.

Brooks Bulletin
February 7, 2007
Kandahar, Afghanistan (CP) - Allegations that Afghan detainees were abused after they were captured by Canadians came as no surprise Tuesday to Kandahar ...
Hicks link to sex abuse claim

NEWS.com.au
February 7, 2007
The statement was sworn in February 2002 in Kandahar, Afghanistan. Hicks spent time in the joint interrogation facility before he was moved to the US ...
Canada backs plan to open Afghan version of Islamic school in Kandahar

Montreal Gazette
February 6, 2007
Kandahar, Afghanistan - The Afghan government hopes to open a madrassa - a school of Islamic education - in Kandahar province this year with the active ...
Alleged abuse of prisoners

Hamilton Spectator
February 6, 2007
... if substantiated, could rock military morale and further undermine public support for Canada's dangerous -- and controversial -- mission in Kandahar.

Kandahar PRT conducts mine awareness training for children

ReliefWeb (press release)
February 6, 2007
Many of the children who attended the training previously received medical attention during a medical outreach patrol conducted by the Kandahar PRT at the ...
Military probes abuse allegations in Afghanistan

CBC News
February 6, 2007
Attaran said he received three documents from the Department of National Defence, hand-written reports from Canadian military police in Kandahar. ...
Afghan Development Assistance

Voice of America
February 6, 2007
"We have been involved in trying to construct a ring road, a national ring road. . . .from Kabul to Kandahar around to Herat in the west and back up again. ...
East Coast troops take up post near Kandahar

ChronicleHerald.ca
February 5, 2007
... from around Atlantic Canada have begun pouring into the trenches, dugouts and fortified positions in the Panjwaii and Zhari districts, west of Kandahar. ...
Try conquering the cultural divide

ChronicleHerald.ca
February 5, 2007
JUST OUTSIDE the sprawling NATO airbase in Kandahar, a large temporary camp is full of internally displaced local Afghans. ...
Taliban Report Fresh Operations As US Takes Over Control Of 33000 ...

Jihad Unspun
February 5, 2007
Taliban spokesman Qari Yusuf also reported that on Sunday afternoon a Mujahid of Islamic Emirate named Wali Ullah from Kandahar province carried out a ...
Taliban prepare for new offensive

Globe and Mail
February 5, 2007
Kandahar, Afghanistan -- Taliban fighters heavily occupy parts of Helmand province and must be confronted, a NATO official says, adding to recent ...

Calgary Sun
February 5, 2007
Kandahar, Afghanistan (CP) - The Afghan government hopes to open a madrassa - a school of Islamic education - in Kandahar province this year with the active ...

News1130
February 5, 2007
Kandahar, Afghanistan (CP) - The Afghan government hopes to open a madrassa - a school of Islamic education - in Kandahar province this year with the active ...
Suspect in Canadian diplomat's death says he's innocent

CBC Nova Scotia
February 5, 2007
Berry, 59, was killed in January 2006 during a suicide vehicle bombing in Kandahar. Three Canadian soldiers were wounded in the attack. ...
Afghanis tune in

Victoria Lookout
February 5, 2007
For safety reasons, the station is located in Kingston, where the broadcast is sent by satellite to a radio tower with a 300-watt antenna in Kandahar. ...
Kandahar cops making progress in street-survival skills, says RCMP

Canoe.ca
February 4, 2007
Kandahar, Afghanistan (CP) - Afghan National Police are making progress towards standing on their own two feet, despite a recent series of ambushes and ...
Taliban leader's old digs home to Special Forces

Houston Chronicle
February 4, 2007
Firebase Maholic, a sprawling compound on the outskirts of Kandahar, is plush living by US Special Forces standards. There's plenty of serious work here. ...
Suicide bomber attacks NATO convoy in Afghanistan

Reuters AlertNet
February 4, 2007
Kandahar, Afghanistan, Feb 4 (Reuters) - A suicide bomber blew himself up in an attack on a convoy of NATO troops in Afghanistan's southern City of Kandahar ...
Blast heard in southern Afghan city, cause unclear

Reuters AlertNet
February 4, 2007
Kandahar, Afghanistan, Feb 4 (Reuters) - An explosion rattled Afghanistan's southern City of Kandahar on Sunday but it was not immediately clear what caused ...
British troops take war to Taliban

Independent
February 4, 2007
But they also suffered big losses during a summer and autumn of ferocious combat, after claiming they would capture Kandahar and then making the mistake of ...
Suicide bomber attacks NATO convoy

Sunday Times.au
February 4, 2007
A SUICIDE bomber blew himself up in an attack on a convoy of NATO troops in Afghanistan's southern City of Kandahar today, police said. ...
Suicide bomber attacks NATO convoy

The Australian
February 4, 2007

Any of these you take exception to?

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 02-10-2007, 06:33 AM

Don't know anything about the Talib prisoner abuse by the Canuks, but other issues with attacks on Coalition Forces tracks with daily SITREPs. Southern AO (where I am) remains the hotbed of enemy activity even tho the winter weather has slowed things down a little bit. With the coming of Spring, however, things will heat up around here in more ways than one!

Wx really sucks...rainy, cold...muddy as hell...wadis are washed out and had to drive quite a ways today to find a site we could ford the wadi out near Camp Shir Zai where we work. Will try to attach a photo of morning commute!

Semper Fi to all from the Sands of Kandahar,
Old 02-10-2007, 07:09 AM

Default WOW!!!!!!!!

"Rainy, cold, muddy as hell"!!! Tough duty there Jarhead!! But beats the hell out of a foxhole in December & January at 30* below, but what would one know---they didn't have thermometers up there. Get's kinda frosty!!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2007, 06:14 AM

Default WOULD NEVER BEGIN

to compare service over here (or even that during three tours in Vietnam) with yours.

I have always just done the best I could with the hand I was dealt. I've been in Korea during two winters...MISERABLE would be an improvement, AND, there was nobody shooting at me!!!

Thanks for your service to Corps & Country.

Semper Fidelis from the (now not too cold...Spring's a comin') Sands of Kandahar,

WVM
Old 02-18-2007, 01:45 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default to "the humper"

We have not virtually met, but I think I can conclude that you are Korean War Veteran ... and we need not compare wars and services, that old tune ... but I am glad you are here. I do have an uncle who served on a Duster and AAA in the Korean war. The last I heard, he is on the borderline between OKness and Leukemia. I do not commune with the above for his everlasting presence in this Earth life but for when that day comes, it is done without fear.

Not enough attention has been given to the wars, like Korea, WWI, the Philipine-American (formerly "Insurrection") and so on.

Beau
Old 02-22-2007, 06:07 AM

Here's one for the troops oversea's

You Gotta Love Engineer?s

Three guys, a Canadian farmer, Osama bin laden and an American engineer
are together one day. They come across a lantern and a genie pops out.

"I will give each of you one wish, which is three wishes total," said
the genie.

The Canadian says, I am a farmer, my dad was a farmer and so will my son be
a farmer. I want all Canadian farm lands to be forever fertile."

Pooooof! In the blink of an eye, all Canadian farms were forever fertile for
farming.

Osama bin laden was amazed, so he said, "I want a wall around Afghanistan, Iraq and Iran so that no infidels, Jews or Americans, can come into our
precious state?s."

Pooooof! Once more in a blink of an eye, there was a huge wall around
all those countries.

The American engineer asks, "I am very curious, please tell me more
about this wall."

"Well," the genie says, "It's about 5000 feet high, 500 feet thick and
completely surrounds the countries. Nothing, and I mean nothing, can get
in or out. - it?s impenetrable."
The American engineer says... fine - ?fill it with water."

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"