The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > New Members

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-24-2010, 04:25 AM

Default Fng

Pardon the Lt. Dan subject.....

77 years old, 30+ year veteran (E-8 retired) from wars and skirmishes from Korea to Vietnam - served in two branches of the military (Navy and Air Force) - did three advisory tours with three different countries military forces, retired but still working (life's too precious to waste it in front of a TV screen).

Grandson currently a US Navy CT1 serving in Iraq - really proud of him and love him beyond words.

Bob
God Bless our troops
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2010, 05:16 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Welcome aboard Bob. My brother was also a CT during the Vietnam War. Served in small spy ships...i.e. like the Pueblo off the coasts of Vietnam, China, and Russia.

Good group here.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 03-24-2010, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

Welcome to the site Bob.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:44 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Welcome here and welcome home. Thank you and your grandson for your service. Did I tell you I was an Opa also ?
Old 03-25-2010, 03:02 AM

DMZ-LT - 'Opa' - not familiar with that term - but then again, I've been out of the service a llllooooonnnnngggg time. Please explain.

Bob
Old 03-25-2010, 06:18 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking

Bob , my Dad was born in Germany and came to the USA when he was about 12. I called my grandparents Opa and Oma. Guess it's a German thing but my grand kids call me Opa and I have " Opa " tattooed on my forearm. Welcome here Opa !
Old 03-28-2010, 07:55 AM

DMZ-LT - now I understand. Like Abuelo in Espanol.... Thanks
Old 04-05-2010, 07:42 AM

Default Welcome Bob

Sorry I'm so late - but welcome aboard mate. I too agree life is too short - as we are getting on with our life we are finding each year it gets shorter and shorter. I feel I have so much yet to do and not much time to do it in.

Working keeps me busy and my mind sharp - yet I do wish I could do more. I've been on this site for some time and its been good for me as I'm sure it will be for you. Here you keep connected to others like ourselves. You become a family of sorts and those who can contribute are very much welcome.

Many have issues (but who doesn't) here they find friends who care and know what they are going through. Here they unload the issues that they've buried for years and know they can vent those things that other's just wouldn't understand.

I've been grateful to many of them but really haven't said it in so many words. It seems they've adopted me into their circle of life and that alone keeps me from being alone - if you know what I mean.

Bob - you are very much welcomed here and we look forward to your words of wisdom and input. Don't hesistate to speak your mind as other's have for years. They are a good bunch of guys and gals and they all are an inspiration to each other.

My best to you and your family.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 05-21-2010, 08:15 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to coachman
Distinctions
Contributor 
Smile Been awhile

Hello all it has been a while since I checked in but I am back now.

-Juvenal
C.50-C.130

“Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government
that requires every citizen to prove
they are insured……but not everyone
must prove they are a citizen.”
Old 07-01-2010, 02:07 PM

Default Fng

Lots of newbie forums to choose from, but FNG is a term I can relate with.

Between my dad and I we have over 40 years service in the Army.

My military career was pretty brief, just three years, but it had an everlasting effect on my life to say the least.

My dad, on the other hand, had to be kicked out of the Army after 37+ years spanning WW II, Korea, Vietnam, and a huge chunk of the Cold War. He was in the Army NG here in Washington from 1930-38 after attending Citizen's Military Training Camps in 1928 and 1929 at Camp Lewis, and taking JROTC training from 1928-1930 at Walla Walla High School, winning hundreds of shooting medals on school and unit rifle and pistol teams and winning a national rifle championship in 1936.

He was drafted in 1942 but couldn't pass the physical. At only 5 feet tall, he was four inches below the minimum height requirement. Because of all his prior training (he had achieved the rank of 1SGT in the NG) and his marksmanship skills (awarded the gold Distinguished Marksman's Badge, 1935; Army Pistol Team badges, 1936 & 1938; Army Rifle Team Badges, 1936 & 1938; principal shooter, Washington State Civilian Team, 1940; National Guard Rifle Champion (National Individual and National Team), 1935; Individual Rifle Champion (National Guard Division), Camp Perry National Matches, 1936; to name just a few) somebody turned their back and dad slipped in the door.

He ended up at the Cavalry Replacement Training Center at Ft Riley, Kansas, for a year training recruits before joining the 99th Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop (Mecz), 99th Infantry Division at Camp Maxey, Texas. He was a sergeant by then and made staff sergeant during the Battle of the Bulge while anchored on the northern shoulder. He received a battlefield commission to second lieutenant shortly before crossing the bridge at Remagen.

After the war dad remained in Europe for two more years, first as a platoon leader in the 83d Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop (Mecz), 83d Inf Div; then as Displaced Persons Officer for Hq, 83d Inf Div; DPO for Hq, 42d Inf Div Artillery; and finally DPO for Hq, 4th Constabulary Regiment.

He came here to Ft Lewis in 1947, to the 717th Tank Bn, 2d Inf Div, where he won the Washington State Rifle Association Individual and Team Championships that year with the 2d Inf Div team. He was booted out of the Army in 1948 when the 717th was deactivated during the Army's trimming of excess officers/units after the war. Dad turned right around and rejoined as a master sergeant and was assigned to the newly formed 72d Tank Bn, 2d Inf Div, which was the former 717th.

The 2d ID was the first unit to arrive in Korea directly from the US when that war broke out, landing in Pusan when it was the last territory still held by UN forces. He was part of the breakout and march all the way to the Chinese border, and part of the massive retreat when the Chinese entered the war. The 2d ID suffered over 5000 casualties in the final five days of November 1950.

Dad got Warrant Officer shortly after returning from Korea in 1951, and I was born the day the Armistice was signed. We went to Germany where I spent my 1st birthday with the 2d Cav. I was to spend my 21st birthday with them also.

After leaving Germany we went to Ft Banks, Mass, where mom made dad get out of the Army in 1957 as a CWO-2. Dad bought a 1956 Plymouth Belvedere in NY and we drove back to Washington. As soon as we got back, he drove up to Seattle and enlisted in the Army again as a master sergeant.

As this is pretty long already, I have skipped dozens of assignments and deployments. He did more tours in Germany, another one to Korea in 1960, VN with the 4th Inf Div in 1966-67, Panama in 1968, Thailand in 1969. He was a sergeant major when they booted him in 1971.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Camp Perry-1931.JPG (107.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 3rd ARCOM - Korea 1962.jpg (54.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 1stSgtGettman.JPG (28.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg plaque award I.jpg (178.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg MSgt Gettman.JPG (212.7 KB, 3 views)