The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-04-2007, 05:44 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Tom,

Says a lot for your driving ability and the Subaru. I drove in over a foot of snow ONCE in my life in a 70' Caddy Convertable I restored. This was a freak storm. Had to go pick up my ex who was stranded at work. No snow tires but the shear weight of the Caddy, with over 20" of snow on it, did the trick. We renamed it "the Snow Pig" after that night. Took me hours to drive about 6 miles and back. It was snowing so hard that my tracks on the interstate dissappeared before I got back and everything blended together so you couldn't see the exits....just knew where they were. In hindsight, should have left the bitch there and had another Martini.

I am so glad you guys had a great trip.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2007, 09:09 AM

Great pictures Tom. Thanks. Burrr!!!!

Raggedy Ann
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 06:13 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Skiing

Quote:
Originally posted by frisco-kid Tom: We made it over Donner, but it wasn't easy. Took over 8hrs. to get to Reno; usually takes less than 4. We hit snow at about 2,000'. It was "Chains Required or Four Wheel Drive Vehicles With Snow Tires." We took the Subaru, so had the four wheel drive covered but have all-season radials. It was doing good when we reached the check point and they waved me through. When we got to the top [about 7500'] the plows hadn't been up there lately. Had about a foot of snow on the road. Several rigs in the ditch, but we walked right by them. All those years I lived in snow country paid off.

The Palmetto Blanket holds a distinguished spot on the back of one of the rockers in the living room. It has a good home.

It would be a great place to retire to, but pretty expensive. Probably won't be to Oregon; more like the Spokane, WA/Couer d' Alene, ID area. That's where Kath is from. Lived there many years and raised the kids there.

James: Tommy don't shovel snow no mo'. I had a snow blower the last 6-7yrs. we lived in snow country. Don't know what took me so long to get one.

I got in some cross country skiing while we were there. Did pretty good considering my age and the altitude. I used to do it pretty seriously back in the day. Usually did 2-3 races per season. I've done several 30k races.

Where you going to go ski at? Mt. Bachelor is practically in your backyard. Some of the best skiing in the Pacific Northwest. Or,....try Jackson. Some of the STEEPEST skiing in THE COUNTRY.
Tommy
I was going to go this week but we got a new woodstove and now I have to rework the whole frigging chimney--it turns our house could have burned down any time. Another learning curve to master (Oregon! Its not a state, its an adventure--James Kim)
I always wanted to ski in the places you mention and many more you don't. On my First Ski Trip in OR, I'm going to first try Hoodoo up on Santiam Pass, about 35 miles away. Its a small place but its the closest. I figure to try out the local stuff first. then I'll drive farther along past Bend to Mt Bachelor. Always heard about this place, goig to give it a try.
I hope to try Mt Hood also this season.
I'd LOVE to get as far as Idaho and teton, depends on which way Ol' Aerostar wants to head. I turn the key, give 'er the spur and away we go on another adventure.
I tried cross country skiing but its too much like work. Strap on some boards, point em downhill, give 'er a shove and away you go and hope for the best--whats not to like with downhill skiing? More like parachuting than cross country.
hey dude, don't forget we got a glider ride to go to. Lest do thhat this spring--I'm a ready Fredddie
Stay good
James