Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2009, 12:58 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Feb March april 1968

Operation Wheeler/Wallowa.
29 February 1968 - 30 March 1968. On 29 February 1969, the 3d Brigade commenced Operation Patrick in Northern Binh Dinh Province, Although the 1st Air Cavalry Division had inflicted very heavy casualties over a four month period in the AO, it was apparent that the 3d NVA Division was still conducting some offensive operations; probably because they had received numerous replacements during the month of January and February. On 2 March C, 1/50th Infantry OPCON to the 3d Brigade, contacted elements of the 2nd VC Regiment east of their base area in the Nui Miu Mountains and killed 43 NVA and captured 11 weapons. On 4 March 1968 the Phu My District Headquarters came under attack, results: 20 VC KIA, additionally 53 VC were killed when the district jail took direct hits from 82mm mortar and B-40 rocket rounds. On 4 March LZ Crystal received heavy 120mm mortar and RR. fire that resulted in light damage. The sane night LZ Moon came under a heavy ground attack from an estimated NVA Battalion and 54 NVA wore killed and 15 weapons were captured. On 8 March 1968 a LRP Team in the Cay Giep Mountains spotted an NVA company apparently on a supply mission. Artillery and tactical air strikes were called resulting in numerous secondary explosions, the destruction of a bridge, and 30 NVA KIA. Intelligence sources confirmed that the 22nd NVA Regiment had moved south from the Bong Son Plain area into the 506 Valley area and on 9 March 1968, LZ Litts Vic BR911712, received a ground attack from the 8th Battalion, 22nd NVA Regiment resulting in 36 NVA KIA and 12 weapons captured, The mission of the 22nd NVA Regiment was to reinforce the 2nd VC Regiment in the Phu My Valley area and gain the confidence and support of the population in this area. On 9 March 1968, 1-50th Infantry again contacted elements of the 2nd VC Regiment and killed 23 NVA. The remainder of this phase was spent in platoon and company size recon in force operations against an enemy that withdrew to resupply and refit.
As we moved from the east coast to the middle of VN, we were attached to or Upcon to several units, and those units turned right around and were upcon to us the further west we moved.
On one of the 1/50 engagements I had to relay radio communications were who ever was in charge of the 1/50 ( I recall Major something) . Seems one of the APC drivers was being put in for a Silver star.
I had to repeat it about six time to each end so it kind of stuck. I don’t remember his name but he was a SPC 4.

Major to me:
On ------Date Spc 4 ______ distinguished himself in the face of overwhelming odds by firing his 50 cal until all ammo was expended, he then fired his 4.2 mortar and although his APC was hit several times by RPG and numerous small arm rounds, Spc 4 ---- fired the 4.2 and allowed the rest of the APCs to make a withdraw to a safer position. When finally ordered out of the APC and threatened with disciplinary action Spc 4 _____ did drop several hand grenades down the tube of the 4.2 rendering it un useable. Spc 4 _____ was the sole survivor of his APC crew and received minor injuries, He actions were above and beyond the call and in the face of certain death.

Me to some RTO/LT at their base camp.
About ½ of what was told to me, so I had to ask Major _____ to repeat slowly because I had to write it down. After several attempts and questions asked by Base camp and answered by Major, every one was satisfied. I was just happy base camp got the information correctly.
I always wondered if the Spc 4 got his SS.
Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2009, 03:49 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default If he'd have been killed...

they would have given him the MOH for that. He should've got the MOH anyway but it always seemed to me that if the guy lived, Silver Star, if he died, MOH. Bless him anyway.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:14 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packo View Post
If he'd have been killed....they would have given him the MOH for that. He should've got the MOH anyway but it always seemed to me that if the guy lived, Silver Star, if he died, MOH. Bless him anyway.

Pack

Yep, Packo, I agree. I don't know the stats, but I'm betting there were more MOH's given posthumously than there were given to guys that got out with their asses.

If this guy had been in the 101st back when it was just the 1st Bde, he probably wouldn't have been written up at all for a citation. They were pretty stingy with awards back then. I saw several guys perform some pretty gutsy things that saved lives that went totally unrecognized. Ask Dan or James on this. Hell, we didn't even get Air Medals for all those CA's we did.

I, too, hope he got his SS. He earned it and I hope he has had a good life.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:03 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Not trying to put down Officers...

but it also "seemed" to me that they got MOH's, and am NOT saying they didn't earn them, more as live bodies then enlisted men. Would like to see the stats on that. I could be totally wrong.

A guy I know here in Beaufort got a Silver Star for this: During TET of 68' he was a medic on a medivac...Army. (when I met him he was a PO 1st Class at the Naval Hospital, he had come back in to the Navy as a Corpsman.) They flew into Hue to pick up some wounded Marines. When the copter landed and as loading the wounded, they were ambushed. The pilot and co-pilot were killed instantly. The Marines were going to off load the wounded and he stopped them, had more put on, and without anything other than minor stick-time, flew the chopper out himself at very low level and got them to safety. Now, if that isn't MOH stuff, I don't know what is. Or maybe even DFC....if that's higher than the SS, which I think it is. The General at PI had him as the reviewing officer at Graduation when he retired, which I think was cool, but he should've gotten the MOH.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:47 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

The Brits do it right. They have separate medals for officers and enlisted men.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:44 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

On 30 March the 3d Brigade Task Force passed responsibility for the Patrick AO to the 173rd Airborne Brigade effective 30 March 1968 and assumed responsibility for the MacArthur A0 effective 30 March 1968 and reverted to 4th Infantry Division control, During the period 30 March through 30 April the Brigade conducted reconnaissance in force, and security operations to defend the Provincial Capital of Kontum, interdict LOC, and block enemy routes of egress to the Cambodian Border. The contacts during this period were heavy and in some cases initiated by the enemy; however, in all cases enemy attacks were repulsed. The general plan was to have infantry battalions establish fire bases with the battalion command post and supporting artillery and mortars. The rifle companies were employed to guard the firebase and conduct local operations while the remainder of the infantry elements conducted operations throughout the TAOR. After the enemy was located and fixed, maximum artillery and tactical air power were employed, to repulse attacks and enable the infantry to advance and destroy enemy forces, Arc Lights were also employed and exploited to the maximum extent to harass and destroy suspected enemy base areas and troop concentrations.
During the reporting period the 1st Battalion, 35th Infantry participated in Operation Wheeler/Wallowa with the Battalion CP located at LZ Baldy and LZ Cacti under the operational control of the 3d Brigade Task Force, 4th Infantry Division. On 19 February 1968 the Battalion moved to Pershing AO and became OPCON to the 2nd Brigade, 1st Air Cavalry Division. On 29 Feb the Cacti’ Green returned to the operational control of 3d Brigade Task Force and participated in Operation Patrick with the Battalion CP located at LZ English. On 29 March 1968 the Cacti Green deployed to MacArthur AO and participated in Operation MacArthur and established a Battalion CP at LZ Mile High and at LZ Bass. During the reporting period the Battalion had a number of minor contacts and ambush engagements with 3 major contacts occurring on 9 February, 5 and 15 April 1968.
You couldn't hear the B-52s of Arc Light but when 100 500lb bombs hit an area you will take notice. We would get a communication to move to this Grid, no explanation or mission. Then the earth shook and we were ordered to do BDA. I’ve got some pictures of a strike.

Ron