The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-28-2004, 07:28 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Kokomo, Indiana ... All Vietnam Veterans reunion

I received this email from Bill Schwindt ( C 3/22 25th ID Organization )

He said there were maybe 3 - 4,000+ there. Here is the web site.

WWW.HCVVO.ORG

http://www.hcvvo.org/reunion.htm

Same time and place every year. Anyone here been it ?

Guys, I attended the Kokomo IN all Vietnam Veteran's Reunion recently. It's the same time every year, 3rd weekend in Sept. I think I heard that this was the 22nd one, but it was my first. Dave Gehr was right, it was a fantastic experience.
It's a campout, but I stayed in a motel. There are at least 700 camp spots, and it was full, everything from very expensive motor homes, fifth wheels, trailers of every size, campers, large tents, small tents, and of course all of us who stay in motels around the area, thousands of Vietnam Vets. It's mostly Army and Marines, but some navy and airforce were there too.
I learned a new greeting there. We are all familiar with the "Welcome Home" greeting, but in Kokomo they add something, "Good To See You". The meaning is that it's good to see you "Alive", we all came within inches of being killed, and it's "good to see you".
Kokomo is one of the friendliest places I've ever been in my life. I was walking in one morning and a guy in a camp with a cup of coffe in his hand said, to me "good morning, welcome home, good to see you, Are you hungry?" I accepted his invitation to breakfast, which is what you're supposed to do in Kokomo. He had a big pot of "everything in there" he said; potatoes, scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage all mixed together. I took a scoop with the large ladel and filled my plate. It was very good and we talked as I ate.
I made a mistake the day before, I bought my dinner at a food stand there. It was good too, but after I ate I went looking for a 196th camp to ask if they thought Bill Knight would be there. The camp I found invited me to join them for dinner, home made Gumbo, which I love. But I could only eat just a taste since I had already ate. Next yr, because I've already decided to go again, I'll only buy my dinner if I don't get invited "in" to a camp for a meal. Like I said, it's really what we who stay in motels are supposed to do there, allow ourselves to be invited in.
I've been reading Vietnam books since my first national reunion in 1988. I've read everything I've found about our area of operation in Vietnam, plus some about other units too. And as I walked around at Kokomo I saw guys with hats that say their units; 1st Div, 4th Div, 25th Div, 4/23rd mech, 2/22nd mech, 4/9th Inf, 196th LIB, Wolfbounds (1/27th and 2/27th), 2/14th Inf, 2/77th arty, 7/11th arty, 3/13th arty, scout dogs, !/2nd Inf (Gene Heck's unit) 1/26th Inf (Nery's unit), 199th LIB, 9th Div (this was fun, asking those 9th div guys if they knew Forset Gump, that always got a laugh),
Guys, It brought tears to my eyes to see these guys there, they were all in the same extreme danger as we were, but They Are Alive, and it was deffinately "Good To See Them".
When I got home I stopped to show a Vietnam Vet from my church one of my t-shirts I got at Kokomo. It has a huey on the front and above the huey it says "Frequent Flier". Gary laughed as I did when I first saw it, I had to buy one. Gary says he's going to Kokomo with me next yr, he's a Big Red One 69-70 vet.
These C3/22 guys were at Kokomo; Me, Dave Gehr, Bob Mockler, Barry Bovee, Jim Klotz, Palmer Johnson, Butch Godlewski, Joe Nett, Hans Pinkepank, Tom Mohar and his wife Minh, Gene Heck, Erv Dodoseiwicz, and Larry (Tom) Furguson 1st plt 68-69 who says he's going to attend our Milwaukee reunion next yr, it will be his first C3/22 reunion.
John Erby A3/22 was there, he helps out at the 25th Div tent where there's a sign in book. Two B3/22 guys were there, Glen Perkins and Smokey Ryan, I think they are 68-69 guys. A Brand new D3/22 guy showed up, never been to any reunion before in his life. I've got to let Jerry G know his name and address, Walter Conlin 68-70.
Jim Nelson 2/22nd mech was there, we ran into 4 HHC 2/12th originals (boat people) there and they say they will join us in Milwaukee next yr, plus Bob Schodrof HHC 2/12th 67-68 was there and he'll be in Milwaukee too.
I hope next yr that more C3/22 guys, and other friends, will show up at Kokomo, it's always "Good To see You".
bill
Old 09-29-2004, 05:46 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Larry
Spent 2 days there with some vet friends. Its one big camp-out with alot of entertainment. (some of it similar to Andy's almost fire walk/backwards half-gainer flip) It goes for one week with alot of momentos for sale. If any one is looking for friends from the midwest, he will probably show up there. Its not the same as psyco mtn but close. I would estimate over the period of one week more then 10,000 vets pass through the gates. If anyone is interested in going next year just PM me
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 07:14 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Bob :

I would sure like to go. How far is Indianapolis and Kokomo from Memphis and each other ? Please remind me about this next July ( and others too !! maybe we could have a Psyco vets rally there as well and sell lots of Psyco vets gear !! )..hopefully I will have some $$$ by then... LOL

Larry
Old 09-30-2004, 05:48 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Larry
From Nashville to Indianapolis is about a 6 hr drive. Im not sure of the distance from Memphis. You make it to Indy and I'll get you to Kokomo (1hr north of Indy).
I was telling Sid about it and how he should bring his Psyco-Vet wears up here. He would make a killing.
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote