The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-07-2005, 02:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to rags
Question ptsd

I am trying to help my husband,Bob a former Marine,fill out a statement in support of claim,regarding his disability due to ptsd.He was in Viet Nam.The gentleman from the DAV at the veterans hospital that we had seen before is out for 8 months due to surgery and no one could help us.On the first appl. the man just indicated that Bob was at Khe-Sanh, I dont know what else to put,or how to word this.Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Bill Farnie recomended us to this website.Thankyou,sincerely Linda and Bob Nervi.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2005, 03:16 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

Linda Facts and Details , Names of Buddys alive and lost forever. the stresser must be presice and deal with the root cause of what has been bothering Bob all these years. Nightmere's , loss of sleep, anger, marrage problems. things like that. if the DAV man is out transfer your case to the American Leigion but don't try to fight by yourself. thats my advice and I'm no expert but have been through it myself.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:49 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up Rags

Bill is my Homie , Welcome here. When I first went to the VA I had to do one of those " stress " letters . Brought up a lot of stress. I would advise getting a DAV person to help you. Talking here has helped me a lot , ask Bob to read here and post if he wants. Peace
Old 11-07-2005, 04:52 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Linda...Chris is a good man to listen to. I used to have a Commander who's favorite saying was...."Times, dates and bumper numbers." What happened, when did it happen and who was invovled.

Letters from people he served with, commanders, plt leaders, squad members...etc would be helpful also.

Any medals for heroism, wounds and such can sometimes work in your favor.

Need to get Paco and Gimpy in on this one.

Hope this helps. Never be afraid to bring questions to this group. Bill is a good man among many good people on this site. Chances are, if it has to do with the military or the VA, we have a member who has been there and done that.

Tell Bob thanks for his service and welcome home.

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 11-07-2005, 06:07 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default If filing for a PTSD Claim

They are going to want Three initial stressors that caused your (husbands) initial trauma. Be as precise as possible. I have a book that lists all KIA at Khe Sahn by date and battle description, a listing of each military unit involved along with map coordinates of some actions, Book was written by the Chaplin at Khe Sahn. DMZ LT and I were there for Lam Son 719.

Call this guy, Larry King, Commander DAV sunshine City Chapter #9 St Petersburg Fl. 813 526 9870. Larry is a Khe Sahn Vet and Navy corpsman. He can connect you with a competent DAV person. Tell him PSYCO SID of the PSYCOVETS sent you.

My cell is 404 402 5360 I'll call back.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:24 AM

Smile filing for ptsd dis.

Thank you so much for your replies.I am starting to feel a little less afraid of this whole thing.It is really tough getting Bob to speak of something thats been pushed away for so long and I am so thankful to have the help from you guys.Thanks for defending my freedoms. Linda N.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:29 AM

Thank you,thank you, thank you. linda N.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:30 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Dear

Rags, I hope this following information helps you and your husband.

The West Palm Beach VA Medical Center is located at 7305 N. Military Trail, West Palm Beach, Florida.

This VA Medical Center operates six Community Based Outpatient Clinics in Delray Beach, Boca Raton, Stuart, Ft. Pierce, Vero Beach and Okeechobee, Florida. Some have PTSD therapist available at these clinics, some do not. It's best to call the WPB Medical Center for info regarding available resources at each CBOC.

The Telephone number for the PTSD clinic at The West Palm Beach facility is listed below:

(561) 422-5695 PTSD Clinic, room 4C-222.

Sid has given you some excellent advice and directed you to someone I'm sure can help you organize your husbands information for his claim. What Chris and others have said about gathering all the information and documentation that prove the 'stressors' involved with his PTSD is critical to the success of his claim.

You can also call the Disabled American Veterans National Area Supervisors office for the state of Florida at, (727) 319-7444, Andrew H. Marshall (NAS-5). His mailing address is:

Disabled American Veterans

VA Regional Office

9500 Bay Pines Blvd., Room 232

Bay Pines, FL 33744

or;

P.O. Box 1437
St. Petersburg, FL 33731

The nearest office to your location (at the WPB VA Medical Center) is:

Blaine Gjurich, Jr.

Disabled American Veterans

VA Medical Center

7305 North Military Trail, Rm. A-169

West Palm Beach, FL 33410

Telephone # (561) 422-8203

God Bless, and we're all praying for a successful result to yours and his efforts. Ask him to come aboard and post with us, we are all brothers & sisters here and would welcome him with an open heart.

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:53 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Essential to filing a claim

Is to also get into treatment if not already. YOU CANNOT GET COMPENSATION if you do not show or are treated for the disability so that they may acertain the amount of disability.

What unit was your husband in?
When did he serve in VN?
Was he in combat?
Was he wounded, When, Where?
Is he currently drawing any VA compensation for Wounds, Scars, Hearing Loss, Loss of body parts?

My brother was a RECON Marine, 5th RECON Bn 3rd/27th Marines.

Marine Birthday is Thursday.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:59 AM

Rags - I about fell over when I saw your handle. That used to be what the kids called me when I small. I had very little in the way fancy cloths. Tattered pants well worn shoes and not to many changes. Kids back then too could always throw the hard stones.
This does not relate to your thread but it was the handle that caught my attention.

You have a good day.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"