The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-19-2006, 01:25 PM

Default A U.S. Navy ship is steaming for Leyte Island to provide disaster relief

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Samantha L. Quigley
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Feb. 17, 2006 - A U.S. Navy ship already in the area for an exercise is steaming for Leyte Island in the Philippines to provide disaster relief assistance, U.S. State Department officials said in a news release today.

The has been dispatched from Subic Bay, less than 1,000 kilometers from Leyte Island, where it was participating in Exercise Balikatan '06. Officials did not provide the name or type of the ship.

The United States has received a request from the Philippine Red Cross for helicopter support to assist with rescue and relief operations in the area, State Department officials said.

"We will continue to coordinate with Philippine authorities, including the National Disaster Coordinating Council, regarding needs, and will assist to the best of our abilities," an official with the U.S. Embassy in Manila said in a statement today.

Leyte Island has endured heavy rains in recent days, according to news reports. Those rains caused a mudslide that swept through Guinsaugon, a farming village in the municipality of St. Bernard, covering all but four of the more than 300 homes in the area, and reportedly an elementary school in session, with mud.

A representative of the Philippine Red Cross has indicated that at least 200 residents were killed, but warned that the death toll could be much higher, as there are 1,500 to 2,000 people still missing, according to news reports.

The United States has authorized the Philippine Red Cross to use about $50,000 of emergency relief funds already granted to the Red Cross from an earlier disaster. The Philippine National Red Cross also plans to distribute protective masks for rescue workers, plastic sheeting, and body bags donated by the U.S. government in response to previous disasters tomorrow morning.

Rescue efforts have ended for today because of continuing rain and darkness, news sources said.

Balikatan is an annual military exercise aimed at improving Philippine-U.S. combined planning, combat readiness, and interoperability. It also enhances security relations and demonstrates U.S. resolve to support the Republic of the Philippines against external aggression.

Related Sites:

State Department [http://www.state.gov/]

U.S. Embassy, Manila [http://manila.usembassy.gov/]

__________________________________________________ _____
NOTE: View the original version of this web page on DefenseLINK,
the official website of the U.S. Department of Defense, at
http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Feb2...217_4231.html.

================================================== ==

Visit the Defense Department's Web site "America Supports You" at http://www.americasupportsyou.mil, that spotlights what Americans are doing in support of U.S. military men and women serving at home and abroad.

Visit the Defense Department's Web site for the latest news
and information about America's response to the war against terrorism: "Defend America" at http://www.DefendAmerica.mil.

swampbuck
8 Point
Member # 5329

posted 02-17-2006 12:58 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tragic we just don't appreciate how good we have it in this country. GO NAVY have I mentioned my dad was in the Navy for four years. Before he went into the Air Force.

--------------------
I do not want to settle down in the houses you would build for us I love to roam over the wild prairie There I am free and happy When we sit down we grow pale and die
JeepKuntry
10 Point
Member # 3543

posted 02-17-2006 02:39 PM
Did they offer help or assistance following Hurricane Katrina? I don't think they did, I'd just move the ship on along then. We're always asked to lend a hand but the favor is hardly ever returned.

--------------------
Greg Cooper

Locksley
10 Point
Member # 1548

posted 02-17-2006 04:23 PM
Did they offer help or assistance following Hurricane Katrina?
I don't think they can help themselves they are our poor former colony and as such look to us for help , and will most likely need our help for years to come. The Communists and El-Quata terriost over there convinced Wozzie Clinton into deserting one or the best navy bases we had in the Pacific . Not even Castro could run us out of Cuba and our Navy base there. El-Quata thinks they are going to run the place someday so I am for doing anything possible to pi$$ El-Quata off .

--------------------
To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;"The greatest pain a man can suffer is to have knowledge of much, and power over nothing" - Herodotus
swampbuck
8 Point
Member # 5329

posted 02-17-2006 04:47 PM
Today, the world is becoming more and more closely linked. Trade has increased and the movement of people between countries is greater than ever before. However, billions of people still live in poverty, and in many places, the gap between rich and poor is widening. This essay will look at the arguments for and against helping poor countries.

There are many reasons for helping poor countries. First of all, there are humanitarian reasons. Like individuals who give to charity, many countries feel it is their religious, social, or moral duty to help people in other countries who are suffering from famine, drought, war, or disease. However, many rich countries also donate money for political or diplomatic reasons. They want to maintain a relationship of dependency with the recipient, or simply to influence the government and direction of the country. A further reason why many countries help poorer ones is for economic reasons. The donors may want to control the supply of commodities such as oil, water, or wheat. Alternatively, the richer country may want to ensure markets for their own products, whether these are planes, computers or shoes.

However, aid is not necessarily the best way to help a country. For one thing, billions of dollars of aid often goes missing, into corrupt governments or inefficient administration. A second point is that many foreign aid projects are unsuitable for the target country. Many agencies build huge dams or industrial projects that fail after a few years or that do not involve the local people. Furthermore, much aid returns to the donor. This can be in the form of expensive specialized equipment and experts from the donor country.

There are many other ways we can help poor countries. Opening up trade barriers, so that poor countries can sell their goods is one way. Another is to remove subsidies so that imported goods from poorer countries can compete fairly. A third method is to forgive debts. Many poor countries have huge interest repayments on old loans.

The needs of the poorer countries may seem obvious. However, although our humanity makes us want to help eliminate poverty and suffering, we must examine the real needs of poor countries and implement solutions that will benefit both them and us.

--------------------
I do not want to settle down in the houses you would build for us I love to roam over the wild prairie There I am free and happy When we sit down we grow pale and die

Locksley
10 Point
Member # 1548

posted 02-19-2006 03:15 PM
By Petty Officer 2nd Class Corey Truax, USN
Special to American Forces Press Service

LEYTE, Philippines, Feb. 19, 2006 - Two Navy ships, USS Essex and USS Harpers Ferry, and elements of the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit arrived off the coast of Southern Leyte today to provide humanitarian relief and assistance following a deadly Feb. 17 landslide.

The ships, based in Sasebo, Japan, responded to the Republic of the Philippines' request for humanitarian relief aid after the landslide devastated parts of the island.

"We were sent to assist in the humanitarian assistance and disaster relief mission because the crew and embarked Marines of the 31st MEU are trained for this kind of mission," said Capt. Martin J. Keaney, Essex's commander.

Capt. Mark E. Donahue, commodore, Amphibious Squadron 11, the task group commander of the Forward Deployed Amphibious Readiness Group, flew over the area today and met with members of the Philippine military.

"We went to survey the area at the invitation of the Philippine government. I discussed what we would be able to provide with members of the Philippine Army task force coordinating relief efforts," he said. "We now have diggers on the ground to assist."

"We are currently gathering onboard relief supplies, volunteers, linguists and other preparations to be ready to provide assistance while on station off of Leyte," said Keaney.

Meanwhile, joint task force relief efforts are moving desperately needed supplies into the Leyte area, officials from Combined Information Bureau, Philippines, reported today. The initial delivery contained five generators, 10 light sets on tripods, 100 shovels, 2,100 five-gallon water cans, 900 1.5-gallon water cans, 400 four-quart kettles, 2,000 blankets, Meals, Ready to Eat and bottled water, officials said.

Additional relief supplies sent into Tacloban today for further distribution into the Leyte disaster area included a pallet of water, a pallet of Meals, Ready to Eat, a pallet of shovels and miscellaneous supplies, five generators and a reverse-osmosis water purification system capable of purifying 800 gallons per hour, officials said.

Extended periods of heavy rain and flooding hit Leyte Island, about 420 miles southeast of Manila, and caused the massive mudslide, which practically washed away a farming village.

(Petty Officer 2nd Class Corey Truax is assigned to the USS Essex Public Affairs Office.)

Related Article:

Amphibious Ready Group Responds to Philippines Landslide [http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Feb2...0218_4247.html]

__________________________________________________ _____
NOTE: View the original version of this web page on DefenseLINK,
the official website of the U.S. Department of Defense, at
http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Feb2...219_4251.html.

Visit the Defense Department's Web site "America Supports You" at http://www.americasupportsyou.mil, that spotlights what Americans are doing in support of U.S. military men and women serving at home and abroad.

Visit the Defense Department's Web site for the latest news
and information about America's response to the war against terrorism: "Defend America" at http://www.DefendAmerica.mil.

swampbuck
8 Point
Member # 5329

posted 02-19-2006 03:21 PM
As you said Locksley we have to do it. Or someone else will it is our duty. We will never turn our backs on others in need.

--------------------
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2006, 05:53 AM

Mr McGoo beer will be served I'm sure. I liked PI sure is sad not have a base there anymore. I'm glad we could help them out.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 02-21-2006, 08:22 AM
Robert J Ryan

Oh yes Boats good ol San Mgiuel Beer. On the news there are Marines on the ground helping where the mud slide occurred, but in Manila the Philippinos were protesting that US Marines were in the Philippines. Guess they are still po'd that we closed our bases there.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:50 AM

They just miss our money!!!!

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"