The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-26-2002, 10:13 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Thumbs up Making Up The Difference

One of the casualties of war is the family. When a man (or woman) in the reserves is called up to active duty, they usually end up making a helluva lot less $$ than in their civilian jobs! As most employers are small to moderately sized, and with the economy not the best, this causes a hardship for both the soldier and the company - but what about the trooper?s family?

In a show of patriotism that I saw as truly magnificent in scope, one large employer vowed to make up the difference between a reservist?s civilian pay and that given by the military. Of course, and as I said above, most companies are in no position economically to undertake such a caring gesture, but (unfortunately), nearly every bill collector that the reservist has, demands payment regardless of hell, high-water, and yes, even war!

The (not so) funny part of this scenario is that many of these very same employers (historically) gain from the increased production of war!

Well, Saddam the Slimy and Mr. Bush, like his father before him, apparently means to have a war (now or later), and unfortunately, that "Bastard Hussein" is leaving little room for (so-called) diplomatic movement! And as you all know, ?a soldier?s lot is not to reason why, his is but to do or die!?

I have often asked myself just what exactly is this ?No Fly Zone?? Is it a chip upon the shoulder of state, one that a potential antagonist dares his adversary to knock off, thereby starting the fists to fly! Is it a security buffer perhaps - one designed to hold a former foe at arm?s length. Or is it a symbolism, like the Mason-Dixon Line, the 38th Parallel, Bunker Hill, or maybe even the current ?No Fly Zone?? Whatever it is, wars are begun by the toss of just such a glove!

The lot of a combatant is not an easy one. In fact, it is a ?DEAD SERIOUS BUSINESS?, the difficulty of which is compounded by national hardship for the guy, gal, or the family that is directly involved! I didn?t catch the name of that caring U.S. company (this morning) that offered to make up the difference between the civilian and military pay of that called-up reservist, but God, I wish that there were more like it!

War is, after all, not just the bloody effort exerted upon a field of battle alone. It is rather a team effort, dreaded and painful though it may be!

?Please let us all stand behind and help to support our men and women in uniform!?

VERITAS
Old 11-26-2002, 10:22 AM

Rick
The Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act of 1940 has been amemded to now include the Nat'l Guard and Reserves. Some of the provisions are designed to prevent home foreclosurers and insurance cancellations of the active duty personnel. It may not be a lot, but any little bit helps.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 10:33 AM

Too bad the celebrities aren't out garnering free publicity for themselves, and raising money for the reservists families. The way they did for the 9/11 victims, or the starving in Africa.
Old 11-26-2002, 10:38 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Thumbs up DRYWALL & JANE

THANKS FOR THE INSIGHT DEAR FRIENDS! I WAS UNAWARE OF THAT ACT (1940)!

UNFORTUNATELY, HOWEVER, FOOD AND A FEW OTHER AMMENITIES (NECESSITIES) MAY NOT BE COVERED UNDER THIS ACT? I GUESS THAT I AM TRULY GETTING OLD AS I REMEMBER THOSE LITTLE RED RATION POINTS, THE SCRAP METAL DRIVES, THE BUY WAR BONDS ADS ETC.

IT IS GREAT, HOWEVER, TO SEE THAT THESE KIDS IN UNIFORM WILL HAVE SOMETHING TO COME HOME TO! THEY DESERVE THE BEST!!

Jane, as far as the celebs. doing something tangible for our people in uniform, your idea was splendid. Maybe we should initiate a call-in and letter writing campaign to this effect. And while we are at it, why not have each and every politician, top to bottom, donate 10% of their salary to this same worthwhile cause?

And for the record, everyone in our nation can call their representatives (in Washington D.C.) "TOLL FREE" to relate their concerns on this and other issues.

THE TOLL FREE CAPITOL SWITCHBOARD # IS-
1-800-648-3516. Merely ask for the Congressman or Senator by name. "It will cost you nothing but a little time!"

Thank you again friends....

VERITAS
Old 11-26-2002, 10:40 AM

Thumbs down Celebs

Wish I had a clever comeback on this but I don't. Most of them just digust me. I don't understand how people can give any credense to what they say about politics or foreign policy. They're just actors not statesmen. They live in a fantasy world.
Old 11-26-2002, 11:04 AM

Hardcore,

The world is much smaller today than Korea or WWII. The interconnected wireless system and fast airplanes have made the world much much smaller.

We can all know and see what's goin on in a matter of minutes today. Whereas years ago it took weeks or months and then it was filtered through the government (showing only what they want you to see).

Another conflict is on the horizon - this is to be sure. It will be a quick one but this one will take many lives (not just American). Iraq will be a dust bowl and if our so called friends don't back us well I'm sure they will be sent a carbon copy.

No matter how this thing starts I will always support the troops. You have too! Bush is pushing hard I agree - I think he's trying to finish what his Daddy started. Only wish we would have gone in then this wouldn't be goin on now.

Money you bet - many make big dollars each time a war starts. But many other's will be shut down and people laid off.

I don't worry about the actor's - I worry more about the media getting it right. Last night Newsweek was back-peddling on his story or evidence against the Saudi sister. CIA - FBI so called informants or stated sources? What the hell's this.

I also want to know who "Deep Throat" was? Many people think they know but I'd sure like to know who it was - Do You Know?

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 11-26-2002, 12:04 PM

Hardcore, ...a glimmer of light from the dark culture of this generation's corporategreed.

TheCorporation I used to work forpays close attention to Veterans. Whether in their employ or in general.

Here's some examples...
All Reserve Vet employeesthat are called up, not only have their exact same job assured them when they return, they're paida difference amountbetween military salary and their existing pay. In addition,their seniority and most of their benefits continue.

Every Veteran's day special honorsare paid to employee Vets.A large display is put upwith all the Vets names, medals,campaign history,etc. All through the year Non Veteran employees are urged to seek out the vets,shake their hands and say "Thank you".(Sometimes, a bit embarrassing for non-combat vets like me.)

As I was in the Technical Services department, I can attest to the fact that:

When the Wall came to town, we donated computers, printers, loaded the "Wall" software, and provided technical support during it's stay in town.

Plus, computers, scanners, printers, etc..... were and are beingdonated to all the Legion,VFW, and other Vet organizations in the area.

None of the company's Veteran orcommunity involvement is ever advertised. Most know nothing of these and othernon veteran activities.(The way it should be)

With out mentioning the company name, I can assure you that they are, "Good Neighbors" to all Vets and "Do live" where the Vet's live.

DAMN, that sounded like an advertisement and it is absolutely not meantto be.

I'm sure that my ex-employer is not perfect,has made mistakes, and is not loved by all. I'm just saying that from my experience as an employee, I know they've done the right things in the Vet appreciation arena.

I'm sure there are others corporations out therewithan admirablesense of patriotismwho honor Veterans all year long.....I just wish there were more.
Old 11-26-2002, 12:33 PM

"THE TOLL FREE CAPITOL SWITCHBOARD # IS-
1-800-648-3516. Merely ask for the Congressman or Senator by name. "It will cost you nothing but a little time!"
Thank you for the number, I will use it. A letter writing campaign may help too. Especially the way these things can spread through e-mail.

"I don't understand how people can give any credense to what they say about politics or foreign policy. They're just actors not statesmen. They live in a fantasy world."
No doubtr, Drywall, but they sure do raise a lot of money where there's publicity involved.

Ken, I think you should mention the name of the company. I think anyone who knows of a company that has or continues to support veterans should mention them by name.
Old 11-26-2002, 12:50 PM

I neither know of nor have heard of any politician that answers e-mails, and I know of very few that answer regular mail. A phone call? They will deny ever having spoken to you.

Please excuse my cynicism, but - well, just but.......

Although it would be nice to know the name of the company to which Ken refers, it's their policy to not publicize their involvement. I respect and understand that decision, for various reasons.

Jeff
Old 11-26-2002, 02:05 PM

Jeff, Didn't mean e-mail them, but spread the word through e-mail, with addresses, etc., to write to. Maybe a sample letter.