The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-03-2004, 04:16 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Learn The English language

I was thinking while coming back from a vehicle fire and one of my back seat guys says, "I need to put some polish on my kickers, Dawg." You try to translate that into any other language. And then there is the spelling of the English language. There seems to be no ryme or reason for spelling, its a matter of memorizing words. New-Moan-Ya, starts with PH, Nife starts with a K, Iland has a S stuck in there just because, Put a K in front of now and you get NO? I could go on but you get the point.
Someone needs to step up and put a halt to the teaching of this crapp. Spell words like they sound, Thats not to much to ask, is it?

RHON
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2004, 07:22 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

2 fun e I a gre

air row

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 09:38 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Ron.....

Try French as a ?say what?? spell vs. spoken language, that will make ya crazy for sure I?d bet. We English speakers haven?t become ?cultured? enough to even come close to the French, we are mere pikers in comparison. We have a city called St. Cloud, there is a same-named city in France and is spelled exactly the same but if ya ask the way to St. Cloud they have no idea as to what ya are asking. It is spoken ?Sanclu?, go figure.

Scamp
Old 01-03-2004, 09:43 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking RHON

Mee 2. Fonix shur wurks 4 mee.
Old 01-04-2004, 05:01 AM

Ron,

When driving down the road and going throught a school zone, and at the end of it , it says " resume " speed.

What do I do, get my resume out and mail it , or go back to the original speed.

enough........
Old 01-04-2004, 06:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 

Rhon {the poster formally know as Ron},

I have to admit that I do cringe on occasion when I hear someone speaking or using words incorrectly but I don't think it's that big of a deal. I don't look on it as the "dumbing of America". Language /slang changes with every generation and I don't think you can really call what we in the U.S. speak as English. Just as our way of life is unique so is our language which I call American. Another influence is, as the melting pot grows with other cultures so will the language as it has in the past when any ethnic group immigrates to our shores. Now spelling is another thing all together. As the written word goes I hate the use of things like Ph in place of the letter F as in Phish or the letter Z inserted as an extra letter as in boyz. Speech is one thing but the written word , in my opinion , is being butchered badly.

Bil - ill

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote