Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2003, 03:54 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Need for Marines

I hesitate to bring this up, Buuuut.
Our NEW military doesn't need the Marines anymore, I know, I know, I know.
But think about it. What is the main job of the Marines. Do we do that anymore, anywhere. Is there any possible way we may do it again in some future?
You answered No, didn't you.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2003, 04:28 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

To put it simply YES, YES, YES!!!!
Same thing said after WWII then came Korea and the landing at Inchone (sp). There will always be a need for MARINES and the CORPS, ALWAYS!!!!!!
SEMPER FI!
Old 10-30-2003, 07:06 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Marine

Why, Whats there job.

Ron
Old 10-30-2003, 07:56 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

To seek out close with and destroy the enemy with fire and maneuver. Well other than that to be used at the discretion of the CNC as a rapid deployment force using ether amphibious landing or vertical envelopment. In conjunction with predeployed equipment on USNRS (RORO's) be ready to deploy within a 48 hour notice to any location and sustain combat operation for a period of 90 days without resupply (which is the limits of the Wars Powers Act). MEU's (Marine Expeditionary Units) are stationed aboard USN Amphibious Fleets (Gater Freighters) as the spearhead of these forces.
Old 10-31-2003, 05:16 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Marines

1st , I like all the marines I know, and I know a bunch. That being said.
The military just does not need anything you mentions above. They can do it with Rangers or seals.
The Marines were not even doing what they do best in VN, (Amphibious) The 9th infantry did this. They were used mostly at fixed positions in a defensive mode,
The biggest Amphibious landing of all times, the Marines were no where to be found, D-Day.
There just isn't a need for they special operations that the Marines do anymore, Like the SR-71 and the Jeep, They were the best at what they do but what they do isn't anymore.

Tell me something that the Marines do today that couldn't or isn't done by Army of Navy personnel?

Ron
Old 10-31-2003, 07:23 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Ron...

Though never any love lost between The 7th Cav and Marines (a Unit Pride vs. Branch Pride thing),...I gotsta go along with The Gyrene's way of thinking. Whether Soldiers, Marines, Cops or other Emergency Services,...such are always debatted and discussed to death UNTIL DESPERATELY NEEDED. Then, and only then,...are all alluded to (and some) truly appreciated FOR WHAT "THEY" DO BEST.

Besides, and since I believe that: "An Army of One" is quite stupid,...I would also have to believe that: A Military of One would even be more stupid. Hey,...just my opinion Ron,...and GarryOwen to-yuh anyway.

Neil :cl:
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 07:42 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Logically we don't need the Marine Corp.

Psychologically and emotionally we need the Marines really bad!

World War II in Western Europe proved we didn't need the Marines because Army units did the job the Marines were traditionally trained. We don't need the Air force either, it could go back to the Old Army Air Corp. And the Navy could become the department of Water Warfare under the Army. In Vietnam and the war in Iraq, Army infantry and Marines did/are doing basically the same job.

But that name MARINE and the Tradition and the all that goes into making the Marine will always be needed. We still need the Marines!

Keith

Military of ONE, Yuck!
Old 10-31-2003, 07:51 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Marines

Sure any Marine will say they are needed, and the SR-71 pilots will say they are needed and the M-1 gerand manufatures will say they are needed, And the buggy wip company, and typwriters, But reality has to set in somewhere along this line.
The Marines job is being done by Army and Navy people right now. The marines in Iraq are doing the Army job. Just an extention of the Army.
They don't where baseball caps anymore eather.

Ron
Old 10-31-2003, 08:36 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Ron,

You are absolutely correct.

But its the psychological lift that being a MARINE, brings to the Military.

Once a Marine always a Marine.

Psychologically it would be devastating to the Dept. of Defense. and cause more havoc than what it is worth to proceed with the proposal.

Also, to mass the bureaucracies together would be a nightmare. Keep them somewhat separate, it is easier to manage a Corp. than a massed together military. Hopefully?

Keith
Old 10-31-2003, 09:38 AM

Keith has the key to the debate. Marine boot camp sets us apart. In the Army, you have to go to the specialized untis to discover the type of mind set that basic Marines have developed. With the Corps, you have from top down one focus. To put a man with a rifle in harms way, who will overcome the obstacles, and complete the mission. The Army, being the Army, is large with many separate duties. 39, to go back to your references of the past, the Army did not develop the techniques or the planning for across the beach assults, the Army did not work with the Navy to develop the methods of putting troops across the beach. The Army did not plan Ichon or carry it out. It took the Army three years to plan D-Day, and one full year to train for it. The average for the Marines in WWII to plan and land on a beach in the Pacific was every 3 months. Army deserves it credit. MacArthur used only the 1st Marine Division