The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-13-2004, 08:10 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default question about C + P exam etc.

I realize that everyone's situation is different...I would like to know about how long it took from the last C + P exam you had ( for your initial claim ... ) to get some sort of payment. Thanks.

Larry
Old 08-13-2004, 11:15 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default Larry

Larry,
First claim I made, 1970, Dad drove me to the VA against my will, the claim was for a bunch of pieces of shrapnel in me. That took about 3 1/2 months.

Second claim was in 1992. That took 6 or 7 months. Moreover, it also took a phone call to the VA by a big time politician.

Third claim took about 4 months, it was a slam dunk, a well known and respected cancer doctor said I was 4th stage.

When they decided to reduce my 100% for the cancer etc. I was getting nowhere till Packo gave me a phone number, it ended up being about 5 months to straighten things out.

Bill R is the true expert but I'd guess your looking at 4 to 6 months. However, if your going to get something it's money in the bank. They do pay retro from the date of your claim.

Stay healthy,
Andy
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 03:57 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default From the C&P to

Cash in hand would vary, some as little as 2 months others as much as 6 months. But, as Andy said it is money in the bank because it is retroactive to your initial claim date. Also, if you dissagree and file an appeal and the appeal is granted the difference in the claims goes to the initial claim date. IE, if you file for PTSD and they give you 30% then you appeal and get 50% the 20 % difference goes to the original claim date.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:04 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Thanks Andy and Sid !!

Sid :

If you don't want to give details about your 6 year ordeal with the VA, I understand.... With your almost 4 years in country and all you went through, why did it take so long to get 100 % for PTSD ? What was your initial rating for PTSD ? Thanks.

Larry
Old 08-14-2004, 08:11 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Its a long story but here goes

When I applied for PTSD along with DMZ-LT his came back approved in about 6months, Mine lingered in I don't know where. About 2 years after I applied, I came down with type II diabetes and applied for compensation and was approved in 2 months. About 6 months after that my PTSD claim was disapproved due to, and I quote "No record of combat service in VN" I went to the VA regional office in ATL and got with a VA case officer and we went to work on the computer. He told me after looking thru the computer files that I was what they called a Black Hole Boy, They could not access my files. At this point I can only surmise, for part of one of my tours I was in the Phoenix program and I suspect that there are certain portions of my records that are not releasable, I also suspect that there are some entries that show me with different assignments. LT and I applied at the same time and when they sent me copies of my records several areas were blanked out from copying, Anyway, I was fortunate that the Bn Co of the 1/27th wolfhounds became a 3 star general. I was also lucky that he liked me and I had served with him later at Ft Benning and a quick spurt at the Pentagon. I phoned him in San Antonio, TX were he retired to and explained my problem. He wrote a to whom it may concern letter to the VA and I appealed the ruling submitting the letter from General Johnston. I was approved within 30 days at a 10% level pending a C&P exam, it took 6 months to get the C&P and another 6 months to get a decision. I was given 30%. I appealed and was eventually given 70% and told to apply for total disability. I applied for that on the 5th of Feb of this year and it was approved the 23rd of April. My wife brought the papers to Psyco mountain and you know the rest. Several problems in my records still exist but I do not feel a desire to push them to be corrected as it would probably complicate my life much more that it is. Anyway, we applied in Oct of 1997 or 98 I don't remember which, and got 100% on 23 April 2004. I would have probably settled for 50 or 60% but the first night we talked with a VA counseler at a bar ( he came to see us because we wouldn't disarm to go to the VA) we met for about 3 hours and when he left we asked him what he thought. He said our friend Ron who we were doing this for to begin with would be 30% he said DMZ-LT would be 50% and he looked at me and said " YOU are off the charts". I couldn't disapoint him.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:04 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Larry

Larry
The whole process took over 2 years for me but that counts the fact that they were sending some of the appointment times to the wrong address so I missed my first 2 appointments--this was typical VA fckup, the address they were sending them to had no relation to me ever, and some of the stuff was coming to the right address so it was confusing. This was entirely a VA fckup I had nothing to do with it, Ive had the same mailing address for over 10 years.
They never disputed any of my stuff, I over whelmed them--the intenet made it very easy to document the stuff, especially after connecting with old buds
After the C&P it took them about 3-4 months to make the decision.They gave me 80%total (equals 70% by VA figgering), started sending me checks for $1008/month,and offered me the option to collect 100% unemployability, which option I did exercise. The approval took about 5 months and the upgrade check, with backpay to original date of file (over 2 years by then) came in the mail right behind it. so it was about 4 months untill I saw some money and 8 or so months after the C&P that I started getting the full enchilada.
Lemme know when it hits, I'll come to Memphis and kick off the party with you.
Missed you at the West Coast Party--next year I know you'll be there
yr bro
James
Old 08-15-2004, 05:11 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Thanks !

Larry
Old 08-15-2004, 08:19 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

James, did you do the Social Security thing? I think so but there is a good reason to apply now instead of later. There's back pay there too that goes back to the day of first application. Even if they turn you down before you get the 100% the clock is still ticking. I applied for SS in October 2000 and got it in May 2002. I was turned down once during that time but still got $24,061.50 back pay and get $1631.00 a month plus Medicare. That's the max you can get from SS and some get less depending on contributions.