The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2007, 04:09 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Samoa

Samoa is situated about 2,500 miles southwest of Hawaii and about 1,800 miles northeast of New Zealand.

The US government has passed the minimum wage increase. In the bill it also imposes min wage on all US territories except the American Samoas.
The Island is home to Star kiss Tuna. Star Kiss employs most of the population on the Islands. Star Kiss has a parent company, Delmonte. Delmonte food headquarters is in San Fransisco in Nancy pelosi home district.
Anyone connect the dots?

Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2007, 05:29 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

My father was transferred to Samoa after Guadelcanal. He loved it there. He said, "After the Canal, a transfer to Hell would have been an upgrade".

No Ron, this is just a coinkidink. Only Republicans have anything to do with things like Big Tuna.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:16 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post I had a roommate!

I had a roommate in college that was Samoan. He was 6'7" and weighed close 300 lbs. I went to a Samoan picnic with him, I found out that Samoan's are the biggest race of people on earth. Never saw so many big boned folks in one place at one time. I haven't heard from Poi (Poi Ripley) in a few years.

So, Ron you are saying that in Nancy's district the law doesn't have to be observed or exceptions are made?

Keith
Old 01-12-2007, 08:28 AM

Awwww, only the GOP plays favorites. The Dems are the 'party of the people' dontcha know.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:35 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Kieth
I left the conclusion up to you. All but one of the American territories are include in the bill to increase min wage. That one American territory is the American Samoan island. The Star Kiss Tuna company employs 75% of the people on the Islands, the parent company of Star Kiss is Delmonte, which headquarters in SF to which is her home district, she being the speaker can impose her will on law makers and bill writers.
You draw what ever conclusion you wish.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:07 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I?ll go look again, but as memory serves, I think Samoans get some kind of individual subsidy, kind of like our Native Americans that live on Tribal lands. I did read an article about the very significant diabetes problem in Samoa and some experts say it?s diet related. An effort was made to bring in different food items in order to balance their diet but the article pointed out that the new freebee food items were fed to their livestock and no real change from traditional diet took place.
Yes, very big people and one became a very famous Sumo wrestler in Japan and others have played both College and Pro football in the US.

The directly related people to the Samoan are the Mauri of New Zealand and they are very big, indeed. There is a very interesting and fascinating Mauri museum and homelands area just north by east of Wellington, NZ., and there is quite a display of artifacts relating to linage and connected people.

And sure, SF does their own thing and any relationship with California or the balance of the US is merely a coincidence or an intentional but unhappy accident. Alas, animals have more rights than humans, all things not mandatory are to be considered strictly forbidden and the things breaking records every year at an astronomical rate are the crime rate, political-financial corruption and local taxes.

Scamp
Old 01-12-2007, 02:24 PM

Special wage considerations for Samoa are nothing new. They have been reviewed differently since 1958.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:42 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

This is why I let everyone draw there own conclusion. My opinion is she had something to do with the only US territory not in the minimum wage deal. But thats just an opinion.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:59 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Da dims and da lies!

House Republicans yesterday declared "something fishy" about the major tuna company in House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's San Francisco district being exempted from the minimum-wage increase that Democrats approved this week.
"I am shocked," said Rep. Eric Cantor, Virginia Republican and his party's chief deputy whip, noting that Mrs. Pelosi campaigned heavily on promises of honest government. "Now we find out that she is exempting hometown companies from minimum wage. This is exactly the hypocrisy and double talk that we have come to expect from the Democrats."
On Wednesday, the House voted to raise the minimum wage from $5.15 to $7.25 per hour.
The bill also extends for the first time the federal minimum wage to the U.S. territory of the Northern Mariana Islands. However, it exempts American Samoa, another Pacific island territory that would become the only U.S. territory not subject to federal minimum-wage laws.
One of the biggest opponents of the federal minimum wage in Samoa is StarKist Tuna, which owns one of the two packing plants that together employ more than 5,000 Samoans, or nearly 75 percent of the island's work force. StarKist's parent company, Del Monte Corp., has headquarters in San Francisco, which is represented by Mrs. Pelosi. The other plant belongs to California-based Chicken of the Sea.
"There's something fishy going on here," said Rep. Patrick T. McHenry, North Carolina Republican.
During the House debate yesterday on stem-cell research, Mr. McHenry raised a parliamentary inquiry as to whether an amendment could be offered that would exempt American Samoa from stem-cell research, "just as it was for the minimum-wage bill."
A clearly perturbed Rep. Barney Frank, the Massachusetts Democrat who was presiding, cut off Mr. McHenry and shouted, "No, it would not be."
"So, the chair is saying I may not offer an amendment exempting American Samoa?" Mr. McHenry pressed.
"The gentleman is making a speech and will sustain," Mr. Frank shouted as he slammed his large wooden gavel against the rostrum.
Some Republicans who voted in favor of the minimum-wage bill were particularly irritated to learn yesterday -- after their vote -- that the legislation did not include American Samoa.
"I was troubled to learn of this exemption," said Rep. Mark Steven Kirk, Illinois Republican. "My intention was to raise the minimum wage for everyone. We shouldn't permit any special favors or exemptions that are not widely discussed in Congress. This is the problem with rushing legislation through without full debate."
A spokeswoman for Mrs. Pelosi said Wednesday that the speaker has not been lobbied in any way by StarKist or Del Monte.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 01-13-2007, 04:42 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Long ago the spider Charlotte made observations about some being more equal than others and the SF-Del Monte-StarKist combo is apparently applying the rule.
The denial of lobbying activity or some sort of payback deal is absurd right out of the starting blocks and I?m anticipating the rationalization as to why Samoa was exempted if there was no lobbying or one hand washing the other.
Looks to be the well-thumbed pages right out of the SF night move playbook at work and trying to sneak in under the radar whilst no was a lookin, again.
And of course, this blatant discrimination comes from the same folks that pretend to go to core meltdown whilst claiming discrimination against some mythical person that may not be able to vote due to not acquiring some sort of I.D. But then maybe Samoa is in the ?out of sight, out of mind? situation, so apparently it is thought that night moves can go undetected.

I have no compelling reason to have Del Monte or StarKist products in my shopping cart or pantry and so that?s that for that.

Scamp