The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Enduring Freedom

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-16-2009, 07:57 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up Brice

Just got back from the post office and sent 13 pounds of unshelled pecans to your son. Betty is so proud of herself I think she may pop. We all did good. Scouts Out !!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2009, 08:13 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Brice, It may be late in coming but if there is anythng I can do for your son or any of the men he serves with, let me know.

I am glad to hear he is doing well. My cousins wife is serving in Iraq right now and will be sent over there in a few months. My cousin, her Husband, was in Afghanistan a few years ago. I do believe he is a Major. Not sure what she is, she is a JAG though.

They all have my prayers. Thank your son for me!
Old 03-16-2009, 08:29 AM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up Lt and Col

Hope ya`ll don`t mind an EM sapper joining in on this conversation, but I`d be proud to have Greg`s address as I too remember all too well the importance of care packages. Had a guy in my platoon, Benny Aires from SF, who would get huge rolls of hard Italian sausage from his mom. What a joy we had sharing that greasey treat!
Not much on goobers here in Montana, but let`s see...there`s a "Testicle Festival" coming up next month...?

Peace,Griz
Old 03-16-2009, 09:40 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Talking

Gunner Carvo can tell you stories about the 26 lb box of homemade cookies he got.

He actually complained about the oatmeal

I told him that I ran out of chocolate chips and peanut butter and some on his ship might like oatmeal cookies.

Joy

Old 03-16-2009, 11:20 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Griz

Purty sure that 'tree goobers,' aka pecans, don't do well up there in the frozen tundra. But knowing my son, he'd probably figure out a way to create a truly gourmet dish out of the mountain oysters!

Sent his APO via pm. Thanks fer asking.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 03-17-2009, 07:28 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Melody

Not too late atall!! Send me a pm, or email me, and I'll send Greg's APO address. And thanks in advance.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 03-26-2009, 05:56 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Latest News!

[This is latest email from my son, Greg. He's a great letter writer, but spelling was never his forte! Thanks to all for supporting him and his men in their efforts to protect us!]

Dad,
Got the box of decilious cookies, got to play "Cookie Claus" in the HQ, please tell KC and Kayln everyone says thank you. Thank you for sending the pecan cracker, believe it or not, a box of pecans from the Hagers showed up the same day. I mailed them a hand made thank you card. Usually I'm in a meeting when the mail comes, so it's a nice surprise to come back to my office and have a box in my chair. Especially after one of those hair pulling meetings where common sense left on the last slick out of Siagon. Too many of those, in fact, its almost a crime with some of the stupid crap we are or more aptly put not doing over here. Our teams keep getting the goods on the perps, yet...
Now's not the time to bitch, but to keep leaning forward, it will get worse in the near future.
I've got some enterprizing NCOs over here that I've got to keep busy when they are not out on a pointy stick mission. Ones a master carpenter and another a welder. So in there spare time they are building us a BBQ shack, and not just any old shack. Supposedly its going to have a façade of the Alamo. Timing is working out because they are moving us out of B-Huts and into "cans" to live in. The cans have an advantage of its own air unit and a window, the down side its two per. I don't mind bunking up over a hunting trip, but to have a roomie for 6 months is a little much for this 43 year old. So... I have to ensure our "storage shed" in the Alamo is big enough to accommodate a rack.
That being said, a steady supply of brisket and rib rub will be in order. We can get all the meat from our big bad older brother, the Aviation BDE's chow hall. Of course and do it better justice than having boiled in a pot. The crock pot I order from AAFES came in last week, and I cooked up four lbs. of pintos and Fiesta seasoning (that Danielle sent), we had the chow hall make us a sheet of corn bread and went to town. Also stuffed some can jalepenos (from DD as well), with some cream and cheddar cheese we absconded. Needless to say, the next morning was doozie.
Lots of Love - Greg

Old 03-26-2009, 06:10 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Very good , I'll make sure Betty knows he got them. Lots of memories of " care packages " coming to the platoon in the bush roaming around this old head today and the connection to home and brotherhood is still there. Scouts Out !!
Old 04-08-2009, 05:33 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Latest News!

[Here's the edited version of the latest email from my son. I'll add a few comments in the body of his message, just for clarity's sake! And my thanks to all who are supporting him, his men, and all our blessed warriors!]

Hey Dad,
Always good to hear from you. We are having spring weather here at BAF as well, have had some splendid days, highs mid 60's and lows high 30s.
Not so hard to get out of the rack as it was when we first got here. We got a fews days of showers which keeps the dust down, I'm not looking forward to the windy season coming up. Dusty and dry, but probably no where near as bad as the weather in Iraq.

[Earlier, I had sent him an email that we were trying out a new jerky recipe, including one that uses a "jerky pistol" and that he would be the first to taste the new batch.]

Looking forward to being the guinea pig for your jerky. If you could send a 2lb bag of pintos and some Fiesta pinto seasoning that would be great. Down to my last batch. If we aren't running a battle drill in the TOC, we try to enjoy pintos and cornbread, stuffed jalepenos, while we watch a movie in the conference room. That is the extent of breaking the busy schedule and crisis de jour.

[The box that was just sent included pintos, seasoning, as well as the beef jerky!]

You probably need to get your knee fixed after you get out of jail, you go in there with crutches and your going to be washing somebodies socks before you know it.

[As a result of a bizarre accident back in February, I'll have to have surgery on my right knee. The "jail" thing refers to the Kairos ministry we are involved in here, where we go to a maximum security facility, and bring the Message of God's love to the prisoners. This ministry also involves monthly visits on ongoing support and encouragement. The recidivism rate is 70% vs. 18% for Kairos.]
Say hello and give a hug to KC.
Love you - Greg

Old 04-08-2009, 07:10 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Good to hear an update from him.

Got a box almost ready to send, just need to get a few more things. Haven't had the most time with all the family being around.

Thanks!