The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-25-2004, 06:05 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to nataliemarie

Aaahh..

I'm a female and therefore have to defend my sex.. but I don't know about ALL female anything. I don't think I could take the estrogen overload... the mix of both evens things out. It's the guys who keep us in check (as we do.. with ya'll)

Respectfully,
PFC Natalie Hughes
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2004, 06:24 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

We had a talk on here maybe a year ago, concerning giving it a trial run for an all female Navy ship... I think it was between Scamp and Boats and me talking it over... something about it sounded kinda good, almmost one of those friendly competition things maybe... not necessarily a good idea in time of war probably, but who knows.

When it comes down to it, honestly... I've known a few pretty hard assed females in my time whom one would probably not want to tangle with, so that sort makes good warriors. But, they were very very very rare birds. I suppose I will just never get used to co-ed boot camps or the idea of infantry/artillery etc. being thrown together under fire... its that foxhole bunker thing, would not work. Pilots didn't used to make sense either to me, but now it does more and more, even combat pilots for that matter.

But, a part of me will always be where Ron is coming from... nobody can sanely want to fight, and since that is true, most guys would just as soon you didn't. Like I say though, I've met a couple I would not mind being in the situation with if no other choice... and could come a day when that becomes fact... so in a sense, might just as well get the training done, adjust the mind to as much of it as can be tolerated... but co-ed is generally not a good idea... so it seems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jul06#29.jpg (59.2 KB, 56 views)
Old 01-25-2004, 02:46 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default crying

That was in referance to Tom Hanks movie about girls playing baseball, (theres no crying in Baseball)

I can't recall comming across any Army women while I was in the Army. Im sure they were somewhere, just not where I was.

We have 3 women that work in Fire department. One of them I requested to be put on my crew, She showed me she has more heart than most of the guys in the department, and that means something to me.

While taking the entrance PT test, the last station in the test, (tired out) is to drag 185 lb dummy 60 feet. (simulate a fallen firefighter)
Doing the test the canidate has on all the fire gear and air pack hooked up and breathing tank air. Gear weighs about 60 lbs.
Anyway,,, about 20 feet into the 60 foot drag she ran out of air.
She drug that 185lb dummy 40 more feet without any air. That came from only one spot, right behind her chest plate, (heart)

As far as women in combat, Hay, let them, Just remember, "theres no crying in combat"

Ron
Old 01-25-2004, 03:30 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Ron -
That's one of my favorite moments from that film, for sure... used the line with one of my daughters once... went over fairly well :-) We're still talkin'
Old 01-26-2004, 12:07 AM

I think its true, that no one can sanely want to fight. But, I don't think its the want to fight.. its the "why not me?". I have to evaluate only what I know, since I haven't been in too many circumstances that would require me to "fight". I'm on the PDF (perimeter defense force) here in korea. Although none of us expect anything to errupt with the north, the possibility is always there. Do I want it to happen? no. Would I fight? yes. Would I want to fight? yes. Because, why shouldn't I?

(I'm sure it's unnecessary to go into this for y'all.. you know more than I can.. but by babbling I figure it out for myself as well.)

There are tough girls out there.. there are wimpy dudes out there. But the majority proves that guys are tougher than girls. Usually, in a physical sense... That is why all girls can not be excepted into a combat MOS.. you don't know what you'd be getting.. a tough girl, a wimpy girl? We all know recruiters can glorify anything.. even 11B. But there are the exceptions... I have a meeting with my battalion CSM tomorrow. I put in for a letter of endorsement to be assigned to the 3rd SF group at Ft. Bragg. I will be taking a male slot, so I have to prove that I can hold my own. I can.

I hope they can see that.

Respectfully,
PFC Natalie Hughes
Old 01-26-2004, 04:28 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Natalie -
Good luck with the CSM, I hope you get what you are after.

I've often thought of you all on that PDF there... and it would seem that if shells started flying, it wouldn't matter a damn who was holding which end of a weapon so long as it fired in the right direction accurately, eh? You are very isolated out there (I don't need to say), but a lot of us here think about you every day and are concerned... just check out our Korea forum if you haven't already, where we go into it in detail.

Tell 'em all there that we are thinking about you, no matter what your MOS.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:01 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Re: crying

Quote:
Originally posted by 39mto39g As far as women in combat, Hay, let them, Just remember, "theres no crying in combat"

Ron

But I can still feel sorry for myself, bitch and complain and try to get out of it, can't I?
Sure wouldn't be no fun if I couldn't, wouldn't have no reason to live

James
Old 01-26-2004, 10:05 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Nat

Be very carefull what you wish for. Being on a Perimiter defence is close enough.
are you on the DMZ?
I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would want to strap on 60 lbs of crap on there backs and then take a hike in an area where you might get killed.
Those bullits don't care if your male or female, Mortar rounds don't have eyes to steer clear of the females.
When the shit hits the fan (and I belive it will soon in ROK) all you have is each other.

Hears a little test for ya,
Get two radios and a book.
Lay the book down and get down with it and start reading, Now put a radio one each side of you on different channels, Turn them up very loud.
Ok, Now read the book. If you can and you can make sence out of what your reading you may have your wits about you when you need to.

And good luck, I guess.

Ron
Old 01-26-2004, 10:14 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default James

Airborne,
I didn't have a chance to go my first year.
While at benning I checked into it. I didn't have enough time to comlete training and 30 day leave and a year in VN. I would have had to extend, (not).
My high school friends were airborne, 101 and 173.
I figured you had to be part ass whole and I would fit right in.
But they sent me to VN anyway, with 14 months left in the Army.

Ron
Old 01-26-2004, 01:58 PM

Default Ron

I may have everyone try that my next 'Sergeants Time Training'... with the radios.

We take our PDF seriously.. I pray it doesn't happen. But, if it does.. we're as ready as we'll ever be.

Respectfully,
PFC Natalie Hughes