The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-14-2007, 05:43 PM

I do not believe A-4D's carried Zuni rockets. If so, how did McCain fire a Zuni rocket that hit his own aircraft?

I think this individual has an agenda.

Since you raised the issue I think you should do some independent research to determine the veracity of this individual. You should review the films yourself.

I call him an "individual" since you have given no proof of his bonefides.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Folks,

I found online a 5 min 28 sec video of the accident.

The quality is not the best, but it does show the plane that launched the rocket that started the whole mess.

If anyone here knows naval aircraft and can identify that plane, then we should know who did what to whom.
McCain was flying an A-4 Skyhawk.

The first image that you see when the video starts is the plane that launches the rocket, and its brief, but should be enough for identification.

BE ADVISED:

The film does not show anything IN DETAIL that is disturbing, but it does show the first bomb exploding, and, from a distance, sailors on fire.
You may wish to choose NOT to view it.

I don't know if a hot link is legal, so I'll tell you how to find it:

Go to Youtube.com.

Click on VIDEOS at the top of the page.

In the Search Engine put USS Forestal Mishap July 29, 1967 (use THIS spelling)

That will bring up the correct video.

Steve / 82Rigger
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:11 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

A4 Skyhawk (John McCain's plane)

Steve / 82Rigger
Old 03-14-2007, 06:12 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

F4 Phantom II (NOT John McCain's plane)

Steve / 82Rigger
Old 03-15-2007, 04:26 AM

Zuni Rocket data

http://www.designation-systems.net/d...n-rockets.html

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 03-15-2007, 04:42 AM

A-4 Skyhawk design details and history:

http://www.answers.com/topic/a-4-skyhawk

Note: Disclaimer - To: Covan

I admit I could have misunderstood the report I heard and didn't really check my facts out as you commented. I am very familiar with the following aircraft A-4, A-3, A-1E and F-8 along with many helo designs. I only saw blue rocket pods, 500 and 2000 lbs bombs and sidewinders and I can't recall what aircraft carried the Zuni's? So with this I in no way wish to imply McCain caused the incident. I'm a X-Navy man and have the greatest respect for all pilots and crew-members - yesterday and today. I also have the greatest respects for all branches of the service. Therefore I hope my apology is accepted. This also goes out to Mr. McCaine if he's listening.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 03-15-2007, 09:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

Quote:
Originally posted by 39mto39g SH
I have no way of knowing what did or did not happen or wear you got you info even.
The Master Chief petty officer that said he reviewed the taps more than 20 time concluded that the rocket came from McCaines plane and that the cause was that McCaine pulled the trigger, Also that his father covered up the investigation. I can't dispute your story and I can't dispute Ricks story. So I'll keep an open mind. Boats says McCaine said he fired the Missile on some talk show and then in a report McCanine said the missile came from behind him? This shouldn't be a hard deal to figure out except if McCaine did it and his dad covered it up. Then it would be a hard thing to figure out. Which seems the case.
I found my information here:
http://www.blah3.com/article.php?sto...70122183950855
The inital rocket that started the fire came from an F-4, this hit McCain's plane. The missile that came from behind McCain was this missile from the F-4 as it hit in the after part of McCain's plane. McCain's plane was parked TOD (tail over deck) there is no way another plane was behind him.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 03-15-2007, 02:13 PM

Boats,

No apology necessary in fact I may owe you an apology. From the photo provided by 39 I was in error and A-4E's did carry zuni's.

The book "Sailors to the End" recounts the incident and the author concludes there are varying accounts and errors in reports.

"Manual of the Judge Advocate General Basic Final Investigative Report Concerning the Fire on Board the USS Forrestal (CVA-59)" concludes the Zuni came from F-4D #110 and struck aircraft #405 rather than McCain's #416.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:12 PM

I showed that video to my son, a Navy submarine officer. He says that is the video shown to Navy officers during their training and is the official video. I'm glad that individual could discern so much from those clips.

It is piss poor but does show the initial fires are all on the port side. That is the side the A-4's were on.

I do have an open mind. If McCain's aircraft fired anything it would have probably have hit #204 on the starboard side.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:50 PM

I'm sure you can obtain the report. It's not classified, 7500 pages and NARA charges $.50 per page.

Let us know how you make out.