The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-12-2005, 08:43 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Tom and Kath on the BIg Bird

Even while I write this Tom (friscokid) and Kath (mrs friscokid) are winging their way back to Vietnam.
I'm proud of my friend Tom going back for the 4th time. I was the one who talked him into going back with me the 3d time (2d time for me) what an adventure that was.
I'm goig back again myself next year, going to start in Hanoi and work my way South. This time,I want to see everything I missed the first 2 times: Hanoi Hue, Danang, the battlefields in I Corps. I want to ride an elephant through the Ia Drang Valley. I probably won't go back a 4th time.
Going back again was one of the most fascinating trips I ever took and settled a lot in my mind. It was completely different than what I expected, we could hardly find a trace of the American War when we were there. Its certainly7 not a paradise yet but a whole lot better than at any time when we were in charge of the place. Let the Vietnamese have it--it was easier to run Iraq than Vietnam.
Mostly what blew me away was what a pretty place it is when all the war material is removed. I only saw II Corps when I was there and not the pretty parts of it.
Beaches, mountains deserts--its got it all. And its great to go when all the little comrades are not trying to kill you. Hey there little comrade, bring them drinks here chopchop or I'll be faxing a complaint to the Peoples Committee on Sucking Up to Tourists first thing in the morning!

God Bless Tom and Kath, you are real adventurers. wish I was with you.
Stay good
James

pic shows Tom at Ft Ord in front of his basic training company
Airborne dude! Fight with what you have untill relieved!