The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-27-2003, 05:30 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to tdeane

1977 Datsun B-210, Orange in color, 4 door...rust all over the place. We called it "Orange Crush". I didn't care the way it looked. I was 16 and had a set of wheels and a working cassette player radio. Got great gas mileage too...but damn, what an eyesore.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2003, 06:06 PM

1954, 2-door, blue, Chevy. My grandfather said, "If you can move it. The car is yours". Had a neighbor work on it so it would run. A great first car. Right front wheel fell off rounding a corner, but weight going left kept the car up until I could stop. Luck of the Irish, the wheel bounce back over the car, and landed under the car so there wasn't any extra damage to the car. Joined the Marines, my brother wrecked while I was in Vietnam.
Old 02-28-2003, 04:48 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default I bought a 1979 Datsun 210 hatchback....

brand new. I kept it until 1993 and when sold had 175,000+ miles on it. Engine, transmission and air conditioner still worked and were all original. The air conditioner never had any parts go out, just had to add freon sometimes. I got about 30 mpg. The best car I ever had, just too small. We took family vacations in it, somehow, when kids were small, and even put a luggage carrier on top. I should have kept it..

Larry
Old 02-28-2003, 06:17 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Wasn't allowed

to own a car in High School so had to use my parents. My favorite was Dad's 62 Buick Electra Duce 1/4. Not a "sexy" car but had a 401 Wildcat engine. With no posi it would lay a strip a long long way. My mom had a 63 Dart GT Convertable with the venerable 225 Slant 6. With out the air cleaner, it sounded formatable. With the 3 speed push buttons could grab 2nd if done just right. First car I bought was a brand new 70' Duster 340. 13.8's out of the factory. 4 speed, posi, buckets, rally wheels, the whole nine yards except factory tach for $2800 bucks. It was a great car and wish I had it back. Dad owned a 69 Charger R/T 440 Magnum. I smoked him in a 1/4 mile but his cubes killed me on the top end. Plus I was runnin' 3:91's to Dads 3:23's. Anyone else here ever raced their Daddy or is that just a Southern thing?

Mopar Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 02-28-2003, 06:26 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default 55 Ford convertable.....

It was a basket case I got for $75.00. I put in a new long block, white vinyl top and re painted back to stock baby blue. No money for go fast stuff but I did re do the suspension so it didn?t wallow and meander around anymore. It seems to me 50?s cars were about looks and engine size but not so much about suspension and staying put on the road. As stock, that car had the worst case of speed boating, under steer, drift and brake jiggles possible or imaginable. Talk about unsafe at any speed, yikes! Resized and modified Lincoln coil and leaf springs and anti sway bars did the trick. It dropped the nose ride height 1.5 inches and the rear 1.0 inch. Then it would go around a curve without scaring the pee out of me at long last. But about that time duty called so I put it up on blocks for another day.

Scamp

P.S.
Paco, my Dad owned an auto shop and as part of that business he stabled some dirt track midgets and sprinters for the rich boys. So on race prep day, we?d give them a spin in the field next to the shop just to see is everything was OK.

So sure, we?d do some dicing around a bit but I knew better than to try to pass the Pop. :ek:
Old 02-28-2003, 06:54 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Father was arrested in my

'67 Mustang Fastback with a 289,(first new car)bought it 2 weeks prior to graduating from OCS and did not want to register it while still in OCS. My dad came down from OKC and picked up the car and took it on a trip to Houston. No registration papers and paper tag was about to expire. Was stopped inHuntsville, TX.for speeding and Cops called the orderly room to verify that car was not stolen. Took Dad to a texas dealer and got him a Temp Tex Tag and sent him on his way. On the way back he was stopped again for speeding in Dallas.( Still no registration) Told cop the car was mine, he had just borrowed it.Cop asked him to explain why a car bought in OK. Had Texas Dealer Tags. Had Togo to the Orderly room at 3AM to verify ownership again. this time it made the CQ report and I did numerous pushups and a Jark for not properly registering the car.Dad spent the night in a Dallas Jail.
Old 02-28-2003, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

1977 Ford LTD II station wagon. My parents had bought it new and then given it to me years later. I later lost it one day while I was at school when they traded it in on a Toyota Starlet. We called it the Dragon Wagon. It had fully extended air shocks in the back and blew a quart of oil out the tail pipe every time it was started. I carried a case of oil in the back. I had this car in Virginia Beach and while it sounds like a crappy ride it was actually a pretty cool car for loading everyone up in and cruising the beach. I learned how to drive in this car and even took it through the garage door once. Fortunately the door had just popped off of the rollers and there was little damage.