The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-15-2007, 09:09 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Carpenter's Crispy Critters

9JUN66
NW of Dak To was a Special Forces camp at a place called Toumorong. It was being besieged by the 24th NVA Regiment. Two battalions [1/327 & 2/502] of the 101st Airborne Division were sent to support them. This was Operation Hawthorne.

C company of the 2/502, commanded by Captain William Carpenter, was inserted on the morning of 9JUN66 to be a blocking force for the 327, which was sweeping in their direction. As Charlie Company was moving up a small hill, the forward platoon radioed Carpenter telling him that they could hear voices down in a small streambed. The platoon leader asked Carpenter if he wanted them to set up the blocking force or go get Charlie. He decided to engage Charlie. Well, it turned to shit for them real quick. They had bit the tail of the 24th NVA Regiment. C company was immediately swarmed and almost overrun. They were spread out and had Charlie right on top of them. They were taking quite a few casualties. At the height of the battle, Carpenter made the decision to call in an airstrike on their position. The nearest planes to them were carrying napalm. The airstrike made the NVA disengage and bought Charlie Company some time. They were able to gather the wounded and setup a better defense perimeter. They kept the NVA at bay until part of the 327 and B company of the 502nd could come re-enforce them.

This battle made the tv news and newspapers back in the States. I remember hearing about it and thinking to myself "Watch me wind up in THAT unit." I landed in Nam on 30JUN66 and sent to the 101st the next day. After processing in and going through P-Training at Phan Rang, I was sent to Dak To to join my new company,......Charlie Company of the 2/502! That was 10JUL66. Two days later I saw my first KIA in my company. On the 15JUL66 we were pulling out of The Highlands headed for Tuy Hoa over on the coast.

The survivors of Toumorong would forever be known as "Carpenter's Crispy Critters." You gotta love grunt humor. As I began to settle into the company and hear the stories from the Crispy Critters, there were alot of mixed feelings about Carpenter's decision. Some of them thought he over reacted [there were troopers killed by the napalm], while others believed that he saved their lives. Like in most battles, it depended on where you were standing and where you were looking. Everybody's experience and perception can be widely different.

Our battalion commander, Hank 'Gunfighter" Emerson, put Carpenter in for the MOH, but was downgraded to a DSC. Our First Sergeant, Walter Sabalouski, was also awarded a DSC and a Silver Star for his actions that day. I stood at attention while General Westmoreland pinned them on both men.

The 2006 Oh Deuce reunion was held in Atlanta, GA. Bill Carpenter couldn't attend.

This letter was read by Hank "Gunfighter" Emerson, to the men of Charlie Comapny, at the Atlanta 2/502 Reunion, especially those who served under Bill Carpenter in 1966.

"To the gallant men of Charlie Company, 2nd Battalion 502d Infantry 1st Brigade, 101st Airborne Division.

I regret that family commitments preclude my joining you for what I know will be a great reunion event. Please extend to those with whom I served in Charlie Company my thanks and appreciation for their unsurpassed performance of duty as members of the Strike Force. While the Battalion Commander saw fit to move me from Charlie Company before I had time to know many of you personally, I?d like each of you to know that there is seldom a day when you are not in my thoughts. After 40 years, I am still in awe of your commitment to each other and your unit, your selflessness, and your stoic professionalism. Your fortitude, perseverance and courage remain unmatched in my experience. For a short period of time, it was my great privilege and honor to serve with you and for that opportunity, I thank you and General Emerson. The respect, admiration and affection I have for each of you has not been dimmed by the years. Finally, I remind you that history is replete with examples of soldiers achieving extra-ordinary results in the absence of officers, but I know of no example where an officer achieved anything without soldiers !! Have a great reunion and hopefully take a few minutes to remember ? Lt. Baker, PSgt. Hanna, PFC?s Murphy and Fordsham, Ellman, Shuyler, Williams and Garcia, who made it possible for the rest of us to return from Tou Morang. And express some gratitude for having had the opportunity to serve with one of the great soldiers in our Army?s history ? 1st Sgt. Walter J. Sabalauski."

William ?Bill? Carpenter.

One of the paratroopers mentioned in the letter that died that day was 21yr. old PFC Joe Ellman. He was from Spokane, WA, and Kath grew up with him. In fact, they dated off and on for years; even after he entered the army. They wrote each other often after he got to VN. She still talks fondly of him. He sounds like a real nice guy. I know I would have liked him.

Another paratrooper to die that day was 19yr. old PFC Bill Barton of Bravo company. They were engaged in the same battle, trying to come to Charlie company's aid. Bill was also from Spokane, WA. He and Joe had joined the Army together along with Kath's brother, Bob. Bob fell behind Joe and Bill in training by a couple of weeks due to an illness. By the time Bob got to the 101st, they were both already dead. Bob was assigned to 2/327. He's never quite recovered from the loss. I have visited both of their gravesites a couple of times with Kath over the years. We never know what Fate has in store for us.

R.I.P. Brother Eagles.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:04 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Frisco,

The "scuttlebutt" in 1969 was that the men of the 101st had a bounty on anyone that would frag Carpenter. Was there any truth to that? I doubted it then, and from the letter etc. I doubt it true, but I remember it distinctly.

Here's a salute to all these fine men!

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:49 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Tom
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=29152

Operation Hawthorne

I'll be there next year,
Ron
Old 03-16-2007, 05:03 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Thanks Tom. We fought for each other
Old 03-16-2007, 07:41 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by Packy Frisco,

The "scuttlebutt" in 1969 was that the men of the 101st had a bounty on anyone that would frag Carpenter. Was there any truth to that? I doubted it then, and from the letter etc. I doubt it true, but I remember it distinctly.

Here's a salute to all these fine men!

Pack
There were some that weren't too thrilled with his decision, but I never heard anything quite that extreme. Overall, he was well liked and respected. Not too long after I got there, he was pulled out of the field and made battalion S-2.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:32 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

In battle tough decisons are made that affect the person making the decsion and the people who are affected as a result of that decsion. All the names mentioned in his letter speak highly of the losses, and the way he respected his men. Thank you Scout, just another reminder of how Dak To was one of the most violent areas of the Central Highlands.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).