The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-21-2004, 04:40 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up STEVE

As you know, most of my 2nd tour was spent riding in a gun jeep as security for tanker truck convoys from Cam Rahn Bay to the Central Highlands. Had to use the M-60 on several occasions, and I've seen what a tanker truck hit with a B-40 looks like. There was also a rifleman in each truck with an M-16, and a few guys had M-79s. I helped pull a couple dead or wounded guys out of truck cabs. All you truckers earned every penny of your combat pay, and I'd fight anybody that said different.
My seat in the back of the jeep was always a couple of cases of beer and a case of C-rats. Would also have some on ice in a meermy [sp] can. You're right about there being Ballantine beer. I also remember Shlitz and, I think, Hamm's. And of course the Black Label and Pabst. All Eastern beers. But like Ell Tee, the whole time I was a grunt I thought Black Label was the only beer in Nam.

BILL: The 101st issued us the cards in '66/'67, also. They had the Screaming Eagle on the back and a black spade on the face. They weren't personalized by company, though. I think they did say "Screaming Eagles-101st Abn. Div." We did the same as you with them.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:56 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Bill

I thought it may have been a spade, but its hard to remember so many years ago. In April 1968 while I was sitting and waiting for a week at Bastone, I'd see a platoon of guys go out through the wire every night at dusk and come back each morning. They had the spade on the side of their helmets. I always wondered who they were and I sure felt sorry for them going into the that jungle at night.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 08:47 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Welcome Home !

I don't think I ever saw any other beer in 1970 except Black Label and it was usually in rusted cans that seemed like they had been outside for years. We also seemed to have an abundance of Fresca with banned cyclamates for some reason. What was that brand of milk ? It was in an orange and white carton.

Larry
Old 01-22-2004, 05:52 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default truckers

My old man was a truck driver for the Army Air Corps during WWII in North Africa, Sicily, Italy, Sardinia, Corsica, France and Germany. In all that time he never lost a truck loaded with with war supplies. But he was always amazed at the amount of "spillage", "lost en route", "stolen" or "damaged" crates that were destined for Officers Clubs and such. He still laments over all that beer, whiskey, steaks, etc.that he just plain couldn't account for. War is Hell!!
Old 01-24-2004, 06:57 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs down

My Dad and grand Dad worked for Ballentine Beer . We lived across the street from the brewery. Loved that beer. Pisses me off we never got any - never even saw any . Peace. Got to go hold my grandbaby.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:04 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Black Label

Like larry, I think most of what I got was Black Label in the rusty cans. This is the shittiest beer in America--is this owned by Saddam? Ba Me Ba was better
I saw Schlitz and Pabst, maybe Hamms but these are also shitty beers
We'd have killed for a Coors or a Bud
I always wondered why we got such shitty beer untill the Khaki Mafia scandal came along. tirned out the distributors of these beers (and othr commodities) were bribing the procurement department heavily, millions were salted away.

I had lots of worst days in the Nam, thats why it was so memorable. I think the worst day I saw was in Chu Lai. Not only did we have an all day battle but it was raining--rained for days. I was starting to grow webfeet.
it had been so long since I was dry, when the lrrp recruiter came around I was like: "Where do I sign?'
I never regretted it

James
Old 01-25-2004, 10:17 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I Corps

All we got at Camp Evans was Black Label and Fresca. When the Cav moved south we went threough Phu Bai and there were acres of Budweiser and Blue Ribbon guarded by Marines. We took our share.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:39 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default I HATE TO ADMIT THIS BUT

I liked black label. [it reminded me of home']
Fred, I don't know how I could have missed the large amounts of Bud and Papst the Marines had at Phu Bi. Too bad they didn't have my army company haul it for them.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:48 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I think it belonged to the Marines and we got hind teat. We left Camp Evans in 1968 and the 101st took our place. Did the beer get any better for you guys in the 101?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c5.jpg (70.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 01-26-2004, 08:05 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 
Default Steve

Admiting to liking Black Label is ALMOST as tasteless as my fessing up to enjoying Ham and Mothers. :ek:

Peace,Griz