The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > New Members

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-19-2005, 12:40 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Seabee
Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Request permission to come aboard

A little about myself. I was born in Chillicothe Ohio, moved to Highland Park CA, in 1950, then to Lawndale CA. in 1952. Joined the Navy in Oct 1956 and went to boot at San Diego NRTC. Received orders to Mobile Construction Battilion Center at Port Hueneme CA. where I spent one year on a kiddy cruse.

First over seas deployment to Okinawa with MOB-3 where we built The Marine facility at Futenma, which took several years. During peace time I deployed with several other battalinos in the Pacific, Guam, Kodiak, Adak, Okinawa again and again, Camp Hansen, Camp Swab. In 1965 Deployed with MOB-9 to Viet Nam, we were to go with the Marines to Hill 327 on main side Danang, but wound up in east Danang between Monkey Mountain and Marble Mountain.I worked with the Army on the Monkey Mountain projest, and of course with the Marines on the MAG-16, the 1/9,contonments. Our major project was the hospital job, which got messed up on the night of Oct/28/65 when Mag-16 and our base got hit. The guys in black went through the hospital site with their charges and blew it to hell.

My last tour in country was from 1968 to 1970, with MCBMU-301, I was sent to Cau Viet on the Z, and spent a wounderful ten months, then to Chu Li, where I ran the concrete batch plant. My most interesting tour was with a Seabee Team in Micronesia (Yap), went to an outer island called Fise, where one other Bee and myself along with locals built a school house. My last tour was at Pearl Harbor (Ford Island) with Ocianographics Systems Pacific a cover name for tracking subs, both theirs and ours.

Retired in 1978 (even got CPO sideboys), wound up in Grass Valley CA. where I couldn't get a job in construction becauseat that time it was aCousin Jack area, so went to work as a cop, go figure. Retired two years ago and now I am just kicking back. Hope this hasn't been to long winded, but you hardly get to tell your life story to anyone.

Welcome home brothers.

Any day above ground is a good day.

It don't mean nothing

Any day above ground is a good day
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2005, 01:15 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

OS
Welcome aboard and Welcome home from the only sane one here
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 08-19-2005, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

Welcome aboard Dan. Great service description, hope to hear more from you on the boards

One question, what is a Cousin Jack area?
Old 08-19-2005, 01:34 PM
Doc.2/47

Welcome home and welcome aboard Seabee!

Pleased and proud you chose to join us.

You'll find some awful fine folks here, make yourself ta home.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 

Old Seabee I have a big soft spot in my heart for the Seabee?s. When the 3rd Brigade 101st Airborne first moved up to I Corp we rotated in and out of the firebases getting used to the new AO that was covered by Camp Eagle. One of those firebases was Firebase Boyd. At Boyd the Seabee?s were working a quarry and they had their own mess hall. The very first night we were there a Seabee came down to our bunker and asked if we were hungry. Well a good grunt will never pass up a hot meal so up to the mess hall we went and I couldn?t believe what they had for us. Roast beef and mashed potatoes. Except for whoever was on guard, they went when we came back; one bunker at a time went up to the mess hall until the entire company, including the CO ate there. This went on every night for the week or so we were there. We never got to go back to FSB Boyd for we moved further north to Camp Evans but I will never forget the food and the hospitably we received from the Seabee?s.

Welcome home and although it probably wasn?t your unit at Boyd, thanks for the chow.

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
Old 08-19-2005, 02:38 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard!

Glad to have you on board.

Bob sane; he's a cop, he's Polish American, and he's sane.
If you believe Bob is sane, I have some ocean front property in Kansas I'd like to sell you.
I'm Bob's unofficial, self appointed therapist. He should have been committed years ago but he's a cop and they have pull.

Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deathcard1.jpg (15.1 KB, 135 views)
Old 08-19-2005, 03:02 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Dan...welcome aboard! Thanks for your service and welcome home!

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 08-19-2005, 03:40 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Seabee
Distinctions
Contributor 

No thank you for letting me be a part of you company. I have stayed away for these kinds of web pages because thinking of Viet Nam brings back thoughts of a very good friend who was wonded on Oct/28/65, and died in the PI. But since I am getting to the point that life is short, I thought I would be in the company of friends even if it is over the net. I am trying to work up the courage to go to the Wall and say hello to my buddy, but I guess most of you know what the feeling is because you lost alot more friends then I did. Its guilt I guess, funny how a motar round works, not ten feet away and all you get is a minor head wound.

Dave, Grass Valley was one of the richest gold mining locations in Ca. with several very large mines. In the late 1800 the Cornish were brought over because they were so good at tunnel mining for tin in the UK. When a new arrival wanted a job in the mines he would be introduced to the forman as my cousin jack, of course the forman was Cornish. If you were anyother nationality you didn't stand a chance of getting a job.

Bill, thank you for the kind words, The Bee's have always been a group that tried to help out others in time of need. In 68 I was in Cau Viet and I had Army and Marine's ask for bags of cement, and lumber so that they could build up their bunkers, they always got what I could give, they were living in the dirt, at least I had a hootch. It wasn't unusual for them to return with an AK-47 (a couple of them) as payment. We would sell them to the black shoe Navy on the LST's that docked for resupply, no way we could get them out of country. Had a Marine show up once with a case of whisky, where the hell he got it I'll never know, but it was well taken care of.

Once again thank you for letting me join you.

Any day above ground is a good day.

Does anyone remember the names of the fire bases around Cau Viet?

Any day above ground is a good day
Old 08-19-2005, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

Thanks for the explanation Dan, interesting history.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:50 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Old Seabee welcome to the site, thank you for your service and welcome home!

Arrow>>>>>>

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."