The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2006, 05:38 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default The Wall

Just got done talking on the phone to two buddies. our reunion at fort Eustis is coming up soon. I'm not sure how many will be there from our company but there are 5 brothers going from the 1st platoon 1st squad in 1968. There is a bus trip to the wall June 14th. We are going to bring some kind of plaque or something to leave to honour the brothers who didn't return from the 1st and 3rd platoons. I'm excited about going and don't think I'll feel misty when I see the names.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2006, 07:02 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I recommend going just after sunrise. It is beautiful then and you will likely have it all to yourselves.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tina Send a message via Yahoo to Tina
Distinctions
POM 

I agree with just under Sunset.. I thought when I went to the wall I would be okay too. I still have my dad.So going to the wall for me was to so ALL my respect to those who gave up EVERTHING so I could still have my dad and stil have my freedom..But the minute I seen a tear in my dads eye, I lost it..I enjoyed it tho..

love ya
tina

To the past: Thank you for all you did for our Country..

To the future: Thank you for all you will do for our Country

To those we have lost past prestent and future: R.I.P You might be gone.BUT you will NEVER be forgotten
Old 05-18-2006, 04:41 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

I finally made it up to the Wall last June , at my reunion , with the help of 3 guys that were in my platoon.A very special place. I left a picture of my Grandson and a short letter to them , just so they know I ain't been slacking off since we were last together. Enjoy your reunion
Old 05-18-2006, 06:29 AM
Robert J Ryan

Very powerful event going to the wall. I know when I went I finally was able to say goodbye to my buddy Gary. The wall has a very strong healing power especially when you touch the names of your buddies. I'm gald you won't go alone.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:38 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Steve
Have a safe, peaceful, and rewarding trip. Make sure you tell us about it when you get back. Definitely go in the early morning or at night.
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 05-18-2006, 08:57 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Unhappy My Visits to the Wall

I have made several trips to The Wall in the past few years. It is always an emotional experience for me and I have been the victim of sudden Sandstorms during each visit. Some are light and others very heavy to the point that I can no longer see. The Sandstorms start while I visit Panel #45 West and the name of my Best Buddy, HM3 Alan R. Gerrish. The Sandstorms continue until I reach out and touch the inscription of Alan's name. It is almost like he is telling me. "It is all right Buddy. I want you to get on with your life. We will be together again some day." I am then able to leave Panel #45 West and pay my respects to other Vietnam Veterans that also made the ultimate sacrifice during their Tours of Duty.

Other Vietnam Veterans have also been a source of comfort to me when those Sandstorms were exceptionally severe. On one instance I had stopped at Panel #45 West and was having a hard time seeing straight. Another Vietnam Veteran, who was in a Wheel Chair and missing one leg, was being pushed by another man at the time. The Vietnam Veteran was wearing a Vietnam Veteran Baseball Cap and a Field Jacket that was the type issued during the 1960s. When that Vet saw how emotional I was, he told the guy that was pushing him to stop and help him up from his chair. That Vietnam Veteran then gave me a big hug and stated "It is all right. I know what you are going through as I have been there myself." He then told me: WELCOME HOME Brother: He then asked the other guy to help him back into his chair and they both then continued on.

That act of kindness, from a man that had far more to feel sorry about then I did, helped me to cope and has made each subsequent visit to The Wall a little easier. While the Sandstorms still bother me, I think of that unknown Vietnam Veteran and his act of kindness. Healing really does go on while at The Wall and I advise all other Vietnam Veterans to make at least one visit there. It will help put to rest those Demons that still continue to bother all of us.

I would like to thank that unknown Vietnam Veteran, who took the time to comfort me when I really needed someone else. I would also like to wish him, and all the rest of my Vietnam Veteran Brothers and Sisters a big:

WELCOME HOME:

VIETNAM 1968
Old 05-18-2006, 09:27 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

All the best to you and your brothers.

May God Bless,

Larry
Old 05-19-2006, 06:49 AM
Banned

Distinctions