The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > World War II

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2002, 06:58 PM

Default 2nd Ranger Dog Company

I am writing a book about my grandparents for all my aunt and uncles.

I know my grandpa fought in World War II and was in the 2nd Rangers Dog Company. If anyone out there knows my grandpa or knows of someone who fought in this company immediately. I am in desperate need of information.

My grandpa's name is Edwin O. Geery, Sr. and he was from Harvey, IA. I know that he landed in France but was never in Germany. Again, thank you for your help
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2002, 05:32 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Do a google search

just go to google, type in 2d Ranger Dog Company WWII on it and tons of stuff pops up
Example:
"Lomell and Bouck were equally inspirational. On D Day, then 1SGT Lomell was acting platoon leader of 2d Platoon, Dog Company, 2d Ranger Battalion. Assigned by GEN Omar Bradley the most difficult mission of the invasion, the Rangers scaled the cliffs of Pointe-du-Hoc under heavy enemy fire. Not finding the battery of 155mm guns at the top of the cliffs, Lomell took his platoon sergeant and conducted a personal reconnaissance far behind enemy lines and found the missing Artillery battery. Demonstrating the initiative and drive that characterized the Rangers, Lomell personally destroyed each of the guns, earning a Distinguished Service Cross in the process. Lomell later received a battlefield commission and was thrice wounded before being medically evacuated in January 1945. "

This is a famous unit, storming Pointe du Hoc was one of WWIIs most famous battles, the REanger's biggest day. if he was in Dog company , he probably was there. Read Steven Ambrose D Day and Citizen Soldiers, he gives a good account of this unit. There's bound to be associations and reunions of this unit.
Check with Lomell, he was on the THC channel a while ago, he was in it

James