Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Marines

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-26-2003, 05:37 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool Gen. Franks predicts Saddam capture within 60 days

Gen. Franks predicts Saddam capture within 60 days

July 24, 2003, 11:57 AM EDT

GROTON, Conn. -- Gen. Tommy Franks, who commanded U.S. forces in the war with Iraq, predicts Saddam Hussein will be found within 60 days, and says the U.S. military will be in Iraq for the long haul.

Speaking Wednesday at a conference on children in military families, Franks said Iraqi hatred of Saddam led to tips about where his two sons were hiding. The sons, Odai and Qusai, were killed Tuesday in a shootout with American forces.

"If Saddam is alive, they will turn him in as well," said Franks. "I'll even put a timeline on it. I suspect within 60 days Saddam will be confirmed dead or he'll be in custody."

Earlier this month Franks handed over leadership of the U.S. Central Command, which is in charge of operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. He retires Aug. 1.

While Franks has left the Middle East, he told conventioneers that American forces are not going to follow him home anytime soon.

"They're going to be there for a while," Franks predicted. "They're going to be subjected to heat and danger, every day, for a while."

He dismissed recent criticism that the reasons for the war with Iraq were shortsighted.

"The greatest threat that this country faces is the potential linkage of terrorism and real bad weapons," he said. "When I was growing up in Midland, Texas, I was free to do whatever I wanted. And I'll be damned if we're going to sit back and let something from across our shores change that for our grandchildren."

The average person in the United States supports efforts to bring democracy to the Middle East, despite the cost, because it improves national security, Franks said.

"The staying power of this country is beyond anything any of us has seen in our whole length of service," he said. "At the end of the day we will win, but it's not going to be free."

Franks is a member of the national advisory board for the Military Child Education Coalition. His wife, Cathryn, is a member of its board of directors. The group works with military installations and schools to help families and students who have relocated get settled into new schools.

He had agreed last year, before the war began, to speak at the group's conference.

Copyright ? 2003, The Associated Press

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wi...-regional-wire

Sempers,

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links