Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Navy

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2003, 11:13 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool Kitty Hawk marks 45 days at sea with steel-beach picnic

By Kendra Helmer, Stars and Stripes
European edition, Monday, March 10, 2003

ABOARD THE USS KITTY HAWK ? Instead of aircraft launching off the flight deck Saturday, sailors on the USS Kitty Hawk drove golf balls into the Persian Gulf.

Others break-danced or played hacky sack as a DJ spun tunes. One group pumped iron in a bench-press competition.

Rather than lining up in uniforms for chow, sailors in civvies piled plates with barbecued food.

And, precious blue tickets in hand, they shifted impatiently near an F-14 engine canister. Its contents: ice cold beer, two for each of the nearly 5,500 troops.

Following Navy tradition, the Kitty Hawk crew was treated to a steel-beach picnic to mark 45 days under way.

?For one day out of the whole time we?ve been under way, it feels like home,? said Petty Officer 3rd Class John Gutierrez. ?What a vibe. I didn?t expect this.?

Many sailors, including Gutierrez, hadn?t been to a steel-beach picnic; the last one on this aircraft carrier, the Navy?s oldest active ship, was November 2001 during Operation Enduring Freedom. Most deployments have a port visit before the 45-day mark.

Since leaving Yokosuka, Japan, on Jan. 20, these troops have seen only blue water. But it was a vivid scene Saturday.

One of the more colorful characters was Petty Officer 3rd Class Chad Shelton, sporting a Dr. Seuss-like red, blue and yellow hat. He modified it by attaching cupholders ? one for each beer.

?We prepare for these things,? said Shelton, 22, plunking down his skateboard.

Several were content to chill out, sunning themselves in fold-up chairs during a rare break from work.

Petty Officer 3rd Class Analaura Mendoza, smiling broadly, danced close to Petty Officer 2nd Class Jose Silva, as others sang along in Spanish to a merengue song.

Three bands took the stage throughout the day, singing punk and rock tunes. The final band, Blood Clot, got quite a reaction with its death metal/hardcore act.

?This is war-motivation music,? said one sailor as he started slam dancing with about 10 others.

Sailors said they really needed to vent some steam.

?Things have been intense,? said the ship?s Command Master Chief Marvin Dublin. ?We needed a break, a day to relax.?

Not everyone ended the day with a sunburn. Some aircraft crews had to remain on alert. Four pilots and four crewmen with the Helicopter Anti-Submarine Squadron 14 popped up on deck to grab food but volunteered to stay sober.

?I gave it up for Lent, anyway,? said Cmdr. Mark Deardurff

http://www.estripes.com/article.asp?...&article=13506

Sempers,

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2003, 05:08 AM

Roger,

Was on the Kitty she's a good ship she'll do her part as will all the others.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 03-20-2003, 08:06 PM

I remember the steel beach picnics - once after (as I remember) about 82 days at sea, the CO honored an old British tradition - "Splicing the Mainbrace" - - Issuing an alcohol ration to the crew - - It was 2 beers - Japanese "Tiger Beer" and "Anchor Beer" . It was like kissing a skunks butt - - - Tasted Great
Old 03-21-2003, 12:36 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

Sounds Like a great Tradition :-)
Old 03-21-2003, 06:52 PM

Distinctions
Special Projects POM Staff Contributor 

My cousin is on the Kitty. I hope he had 2 beers