The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2003, 11:39 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up Nam Lighters

Got this thread idea from another site but thought it and the guy who started it were right on. I smoked a pack of Luckys every day from age 13 to 40 , then I quit - 16 years ago - cigarettes. Everyone carried a Zippo lighter in my platoon in Vietnam.My lighter had the Zig Zag Man on one side and that parody of the 23rd Psalm on the other.... Yea though I walk through the valley..... etc. I have Franks Nam Zippo and his had the same parody on one side and a guy and girl " doing it" on the other. Anybody else have a Nam Zippo ?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2003, 11:56 AM

I have a Zippo with the 1st Infantry Div. patch on it. Never used it so it is in perfect condition. Going to get it engraved some time soon so the kids will have some thing to fight over. LOL
Old 09-03-2003, 12:41 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Map of Vietnam on one side with 1966-1967
On the other side was the phrase:
If you can't truck it
F*** it

Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 09-03-2003, 01:09 PM

LT still have my old zippo with the 23 Psalm got in 66 been fixed many many times had to retire it a few years ago but I still carry a zippo.

razz
Old 09-03-2003, 01:53 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default Zippo

Mine has 67-68 on one side and a drawing on the other. You hold the lighter upside down and opened and it becomes a dirty picture. Well maybe not dirty, just a young lady touching herself. Gave mine to dad after the first tour. It's still in a little elm wood box with his rings, watches etc. It hasn't been used since June of 68. Matter of fact his and my dog tags are in that box too.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 09-03-2003, 02:13 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Yeah, we talked about this

a little at Franks funeral, right John?

Mine has a 9th Division emblem on one side with my name engraved under it---the other side has engraved---"When I die I know I'm going to Heaven--cause I've served my time in hell"--" Vietnam 1967--1968".

Still works---but the "flip-top" is broken----I need to take it to a jewlers to get it repaired.

I keep it my Fathers old cuff-link box.

One of the few things that made it back with me from Nam. Most all of everything else I had over there was lost (or stolen) after I got wounded. Still got my old "shot record" card, my first Social Security Card, some photos that were in my wallet (what was left of it!), a P-38, my dog-tags and a watch that I wore over there.

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:38 PM

Default Same-o, Same-o

Zippo with "modified" 23rd Psalms on one side and unit insignia on the other. Still works, but I quit smoking in 1980. I dug the old lighter out of its "hiding" place after I read your post. I swear it even smells like the 'Nam !! I guess you just never can kill that mildrew smell.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:20 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking KEPT LOSING THEM

Had 4 over the 3yr. time. Had one with 101st insignia and map of Nam. I don't know where I lost it. Probably a bar. Got another one with the Pukin' Buzzard and the 23rd Psalm. It was either forgotten or stolen in a bar in Fayetteville. Got another one when I went back to Nam with the 82nd insignia and "Going to Heaven......" Lost it while on a convoy somewhere. Probably in a bar. Came home with a 101st insignia and rank and name, and "Vietnam '66, '67, '68." Forgotten or stolen in a bar in Montana. Went to disposable Bics until I quit smoking 16yrs. ago.

When we were in Nam earlier this year, saw hundreds of these for sale. A regular cottage industry. All knock-offs, I'm sure. Saw every unit represented, and all looked "used and old."
Old 09-03-2003, 06:38 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

SF , lost mine in a bar too! Will keep much better care of Franks. Gimp , yes we did talk about it at the funeral when Danny gave me the lighter.Since I came home , from bitnam , I have felt bad about how I came home. Alone .found my family at the hospital where my Mother was being cut on for cancer. You said all you could bring back was what they put on your chest under the body cast. Made me realize , again , how lucky I am . Thank you. Welcome Home , people.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:49 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Thumbs up I have USCGC Tamaroa Zippo lighter from 67......

Those in the know can date it easily. the silhouette has no racing stripe on the bow like the modern cutters and zippo lighters have.

Bill

King John 2.1.466