The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > International > United Nations

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-28-2020, 10:23 AM

Arrow ECA Group Secures 20 M€ Order For Latvian Naval Forces Minehunters Upgrade

ECA Group Secures 20 M€ Order For Latvian Naval Forces Minehunters Upgrade
By: Nathan Gain - Naval News - 09-28-20
Re: https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news...nters-upgrade/

Photo link: https://www.navalnews.com/wp-content...de-770x410.jpg
A Latvian Naval Forces minehunter vessel taking part in the NATO Hod ops exercise in Nov. 2019 (Credit: Latvian MoD/Gatis Dieziņš)

Following an international contest, ECA Group has been awarded a contract worth more than 20 million euros for the modernization of three mine countermeasures vessels belonging to the Latvian Naval Forces.

ECA Group press release

These vessels require a modernization of their mine hunting system. These vessels will be delivered with a Mine Warfare Data Center successively in 2021, 2023 and 2024.

This new success follows the contract won in 2019 in consortium with Naval Group, Belgium Naval & Robotics, for the supply of the unmanned system (Toobox) UMIS (Unmanned Mine Countermeasures Integrated System) to the Belgian and Dutch navies for an amount of approximately 450 million euros; the first contract in the world for new ships equipped with a Toolbox, representing a technological leap in the field of underwater mine clearance.

Under this contract, ECA Group will provide the Latvian Naval Forces with an innovative solution for the modernization of its existing mine countermeasures vessels, replacing the conventional detection system based on a hull sonar for mines with a smaller unmanned system consisting of the underwater drones AUV A18-M for detection and underwater robots Seascan MK2 and K-STER C for identification and clearance of the mines.

ECA Group will modify the vessels with the support of its subsidiary Mauric, specialized in naval architecture, and Latvian partners, in order to install these modern mine countermeasures systems. At the end of the contract, the Latvian Naval Forces will thus be able to carry out underwater mine clearance operations without the ship entering the minefield (Stand-Off concept). This contract, like all mine warfare contracts, will entail maintenance and sales of consumable over a period of 10 to 20 years.

The Latvian Naval Forces will acquire a compacte version of the UMIS system. As ECA Group’s UMIS system is scalable, in the future, the marine will be able to supplement its unmanned system progressively, depending on its needs, while maintaining the compatibility with the existing, modernised equipment and new, integrated drones.

While many navies will be buying new mine countermeasures vessels equipped with a Toolbox in the coming years, many of them have mine countermeasures vessels with a lifespan that can be increased or will acquire pre-owned ones. The latter might be interested in modernization solutions allowing them to benefit from the high-performance level of the latest drones and to switch to the Stand-Off mine countermeasures operations enhancing the security for the crews and the ship.

With this contract, ECA Group is growing on a new market: renovation of mid-life mine countermeasures systems on ships. In the case of Latvia, it concerns the Alkmaar mine countermeasures vessel acquired from the Royal Netherlands Naval Forces. The solution chosen by Latvia allows to add renewed potential to these vessels.

Once they have received their new mine countermeasures vessels, it is possible that the Belgian, Royal Netherlands and French navies, currently using tripartite mine countermeasures vessels, sell their old vessels to different interested navies. ECA Group can then propose to modernize these pre-owned vessels and equip them with the modern and effective UMIS mine countermeasure system.

The UMIS Toolbox can also be installed on other models of conventional mine countermeasures vessels or on ships that are not used for mine countermeasures. ECA Group will offer this modernization solution to all navies that intend to keep and optimize their conventional mine countermeasure vessels or consider the acquisition of pre-owned vessels.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal note: Mine Sweeper's have to be the most dangerous job looking for something you can see. I have great respect for those ships hunting mines and the personal who have to find them and destroy them before they hit one! Tough job. I give them a lot of respect for their service in all the sea ports areas.

Boats

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links