The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Family

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2002, 10:12 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Boy Scouts....

I was a juvenile delinquent in my younger years. I comitted several felonies I never got caught at. Then at the age of twelve I said enough is enough and joined the Boy Scouts. I went on to get my Eagle Scout rank. After Vietnam I was somewhat aversive to anything that entailed a uniform. As time went by I realized all the good that had happened to me from scouting and enrolled my son in the Cub Scouts. He went all the way through and got his Arrow of Light and then joined the Boy Scouts. It is an excellent troop and he got his Eagle also. Now about all the controversy. We had an atheist Eagle Scout. It was a compromise. He didn't have to say Under God if he said the rest of the Pledge. He was a good kid and is now a college professor. We also had at least one homosexual Eagle Scout. He kept it to himself and we didn't pry.
We do not always agree with what the professional branch of Scouting does but we just keep quiet and do ourt own thing. This troop has had 31 Eagle Scouts since the middle seventies and let me tell you , nobody slid by. When we review a boy, it is an oral exam and everything he had leaned since getting in scouting is fair game. Most of our boys take two or three boards of review before they realize they better know it. Three eagles have gone on to the Military Academies and others are out there in leadership positions throughout the community. We start the meeting with the Pledge of Allegience and end with a prayer.
By the way, the vast majority of Cub Scouts do not stay in the Boy Scouts. I think it is because the Cub Scouts are entertainment and the Boy Scouts are a challenge. At least the way we do it, it is.