The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Family

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-07-2002, 01:51 PM

Talking Proud Mom!

Well a mighty proud Mom I be today!
I went to our elementary school's Remembrance Day service this afternoon. (it is today cuz Fri is another day off for them.. :ek:
Anywho:

My 12 year old, brand new AirCadet Morgan was part of the Flag Party!
He looked sooooooooooooo smart & handsome in his uniform!

They did a super job!
The grade 8's planned the service and spoke etc.
They showed a video about WWI & II and it wasn't sugar coated as usual either. Plain, simple and factual. Sometimes those things are brutal.
The place was pin drop quiet.. which can be very unusual for over 600 K-8 students for any length of time.

There is something about mere children talking about freedom and wars that just wrenched my gut.

I know the children here were very affected by the terrorisim in NY. They also talk alot about the bombing in Bali (we lost a Saskatchewan resident) and were very concerned about the activities in Moscow. They followed it daily. War/terrorisim seems very far away for them.. but.... it is brought into their homes & classrooms everyday. I do believe that the message is getting through sometimes.

I guess I say that because.. I know these kids at our school.. and as a whole, they seemed more thoughtful and reflective about these incidents than in the past.

But of course, Morgan did me proud! One Kindergarten boy asked him why he had a 'Navy shirt" on and he said.. because "I am an Air Cadet and I remember those who died so I can be here"

So simple yet so true........

Anywho....
just wanted to share!

SweetSue
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2002, 02:30 PM

Sue,
Your Rememberance Day is the same as our Veterans Day. It started as Armistice Day to commemorate the end of WWI at the 11th hour of the 11th month. Back in 1954 it was changed to Veterans Days to honor all our countries Veterans. Our local Legion and VFW Honor Guard will participate in programs at two local elementary schools. The kids seem to be very interested in what has happened.
Old 11-07-2002, 02:32 PM

Great to share your emotion SweetSue. Sad to hear you lost one of your citizens in Bali. On a positive note I heard yesterday that the owner of the van carrying the bomb in Bali has admitted placing the explosives in the vehicle. I'm not sure whether he drove it to the club. I don't read the papers, watch TV much or follow the news on the web. Congrats. pround mum.
Old 11-17-2002, 09:57 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default I was in Canada

I was in Canada the week before Remembrance Day. I was touring Vancouver and Victoria. One thing I noticed was most people wore those poppies the veteran's groups sell. Another thing I noticed was many of them had American flags below their poppies. I was very touched by that. I went out and bought me a poppy from an old vet with a chest full of medals. I lost that one and bought another one from another old vet. Then my wife told me I needed one for her father so I bought a third. I guess most Americans don't realize that Canada was in both world wars years before America was and lost a much higher percentage of their people. God bless Canada and the USA.
Old 11-18-2002, 06:08 PM

yes.. you are most correct.
Thank you for reminding people of the involvement of Canadian people.

Susan
Old 11-18-2002, 06:33 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Fred You Said It Very Well

God Bless the USA and Canada! Bless All those veterans who served that we may experience freedom.

Keith