The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Navy

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2002, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default How many Carriers does the U.S. have?

SgtBlake

Registered to :Oct 18, 2001
Posted 09-11-2001 at 11:19
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and what are their names? everyday it seems that I hear about a new one that I've never heard of before.
-----------------
Sgt G.A. Blake, MARINE, The Title says it all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Profile www Qoute
KOOL

Registered to :Sep 27, 2001
Posted 09-11-2001 at 14:11
On the home page, click on Our Ships.Page Title navy
-----------------
ANCHOR CLANKER

Profile Qoute
SgtBlake

Registered to :Oct 18, 2001
Posted 09-11-2001 at 14:17
Thanks KOOL.
-----------------
Sgt G.A. Blake, MARINE, The Title says it all.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2004, 01:53 AM

We have fewer carriers now than we did at the time of Pearl harbor . You hear about new ones because the last of the great navy president Reagan wanted is being finished. The ship scrapers will soon moth-ball these new ships too. For every carrier scraped the peace dividend people get too mothball a nuclear submarine- a fleet oiler-two nuclear guided missile crusiers-four guided missile destroyers-fleet cargo ships and at least 10,000 sailors. it does not matter that it takes ten years to design and build a carrier task force.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

Active, in active. Can you narrow down the question a bit?

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 02-12-2004, 10:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

Quote:
Originally posted by locksly We have fewer carriers now than we did at the time of Pearl harbor . You hear about new ones because the last of the great navy president Reagan wanted is being finished. The ship scrapers will soon moth-ball these new ships too. For every carrier scraped the peace dividend people get too mothball a nuclear submarine- a fleet oiler-two nuclear guided missile crusiers-four guided missile destroyers-fleet cargo ships and at least 10,000 sailors. it does not matter that it takes ten years to design and build a carrier task force.
Maybe, missions of the carriers in WW 2 were a lot diffrent from what they are today. They had no multi purpose carriers so each one did something a bit diffrent from the other. So while there were a lot of Carriers, CVE's, CVS's, were support type ships and there were a lot of them. But if they had a flat top and planes, yes there were a lot.
Carter was the dope who only wanted 13 carriers, one of those to be a training carrier.
USS Ronald Reagan CVN-76 is finished and in service as of 12 July 2003. These two newest carriers will not see the cutting torch for at least 25 years!

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 02-12-2004, 11:10 AM

The Boats:
CV-59 USS Forrestall Decommissioned, Newport RI
CV-60 USS Saratoga Decommissioned, Newport RI
CV-61 USS Ranger Decommissioned, Bremerton WA
CV-62 USS Independence Decommissioned, Bremerton WA
CV-63 USS Kitty Hawk # Decommissioned, Bremerton WA
CV-64 USS Constellation forward deployment in Japan
CVN-65 USS Enterprise Active
CV-66 USS America Decommissioned, Philly PA
CV-67 USS Kennedy * Active
CVN-68 USS Nimitz Active
CVN-69 USS Eisenhower Active
CVN-70 USS Carl Vison Active
CVN-71 USS Roosevelt Active
CVN-72 USS Lincoln Active
CVN-73 USS Washington Active
CVN-74 USS Stennis Active
CVN-75 USS Truman Active
CVN-76 USS Regan Active
CVN-77 USS Bush Under construction

*Kennedy will serve as the training carrier, she will become AVT-67 at one point.
#The Hawk can be put back into active service in less than a year if needed.

Old 04-19-2004, 11:05 PM

Usually two carriers are in the ship yards at most times getting overhauled so we really dont have that many ships anymore . As far the old WW-II carriers having different jobs that just is not true . They held more planes than our newer ships and in their day were truely top of the line ships. The Midway and Coral Sea served until after Vietnam was over .Our shipes today have all the missions that the old ships had plus many that were not thought of then. we are just lucky that Al-Kadia does not have a navy.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:28 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

Sorry Locksly but that should have said the Al-kadia is lucky thet don't have a navy because it would be at the bottom of the sea next to the whale sh#t where it would belong. Their Navy hit the USS COLE but I don't think that will happen again
Old 04-20-2004, 11:51 PM

Its a good thing for them that they don't have a navy. My husband, is a mineman in the US Navy Reserves, CMN-E7. When he was active he was a missle tech on a nuclear sub. These men and women are consistently rated outstanding in their inspections. Active duty units call from all over the world to ask for their help with their own inspections. Yes, Im partial because he is my husband...but because he is my husband, I know his capabilities. And don't get me wrong...I'm not like most wives, I'm a vet too.

Come to think of it he would be a great fit here on PF.
DL
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
Old 04-21-2004, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dragon Lady
Come to think of it he would be a great fit here on PF.
DL
Any reason why he doesn't join us?

Old 04-21-2004, 12:05 AM

Read some where, I meant to save it, that the fleet is now down to 300 ships? WTFO? Man I remember the Reagan years, what a proud fleet we had in those days!!