The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Family

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2020, 07:41 AM

Arrow 28% Of LA's Coronavirus Deaths Stem From Nursing Home Outbreaks

28% Of LA's Coronavirus Deaths Stem From Nursing Home Outbreaks
By: Paige Austin Patch Staff - News 4-10-20
Re: https://patch.com/california/los-ang...home-outbreaks

As LA County's coronavirus death rate continues its unsettling climb, the county extended stay at home orders into mid-May.

LOS ANGELES, CA — On a day the county extended stay-at-home and business-closure orders for another month, the number of coronavirus deaths topped 240 Friday in Los Angeles County, while more than 400 more cases were confirmed.

The county's mortality rate from the illness -- the percentage of people with the disease who have died -- also crept upward again, reaching 2.9%. The county's mortality rate last week was 1.8%.

Barbara Ferrer, director of the county Department of Public Health, reported 18 more coronavirus deaths on Friday, although one of those fatalities was actually reported Thursday afternoon by the city of Long Beach, which maintains its own health department.

Long Beach also reported an additional death Friday afternoon, raising the city's total to nine, while Pasadena -- which also has its own health department -- reported two more deaths, giving it a total of seven. The new deaths raised the countywide total to 244.

The new death reported by Long Beach was a man in his 50s with underlying health conditions. Of the 18 deaths reported by the county, 10 were over age 65, seven were between 41 and 65 and one was between 18 and 40. In Pasadena, all seven people who have died were between 49 and 93 years old, all were either residents or employees of "long-term care facilities" and all had underlying health conditions.

Ferrer also reported 475 new coronavirus cases in the county -- some of which were also reported by Long Beach Thursday afternoon -- while Long Beach announced another 13 and Pasadena added 10, raising the countywide total to 8,453.

According to Ferrer, 28% of the people who have died from coronavirus in the county were residents of nursing homes or skilled nursing facilities. The county is investigating cases at 159 "institutional settings," such as nursing homes, skilled nursing facilities, assisted living facilities, shelters, jails and prisons that have had at least one case. Those institutions have had a total of 1,062 cases and 67 deaths, all among residents.

A total of 53 cases have been confirmed in the county's jails -- eight inmates and 45 staff members. There were also 23 cases in prisons, while two staff members at the county juvenile hall in Sylmar have also tested positive.

On Thursday, Ferrer reported 20 cases among homeless people in the county, but that number dropped Friday to 18, with Ferrer saying two of the patients reported earlier turned out not to have the coronavirus.

As of Thursday, about 40,600 people have been tested for coronavirus in the county, with about 15% of them testing positive. Ferrer again noted that the county is still working to get full reports on negative test results from some labs, meaning that percentage of positive tests remains artificially high.

New testing centers have been opening throughout the week. Ferrer noted this week that testing has been more prevalent in more affluent areas of the county.

In hopes of rectifying that issue, new testing centers opened Wednesday at East Los Angeles College and at the Charles Drew University medical campus in Willowbrook. The county now has more than 20 testing centers across the region. Those centers and others operated by individual cities are restricted to people showing symptoms of COVID-19.

The county has set a goal of testing 10,000 people per day. With roughly 10% of those people expected to ultimately test positive, Ferrer has warned that the daily increases in case numbers will likely approach about 1,000.

Ferrer stressed the people who are tested because they are showing symptoms of coronavirus should assume they are positive and isolate themselves from others while awaiting their results.

She also reminded parents that while residents are being urged to leave home only for essential purposes, their children's health-care appointments are definitely essential, including immunizations.

City News Service

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal note: My oldest surviving Sister is in a nursing home about 40 miles away. She is in lock down there and only her Son (caregiver) can visit her. I worry about her as does all the remaining family members. She was moved from one nursing home to another because of our Medicare system and her current insurance coverage. My Nephew say's she's ok - but senility is setting in and she doesn't remember much lately. She just lost her only daughter age 52 to cancer about 8 to 10 months ago. Very sad I went to the wake and my Sister and her kids and grand-kids and friends were there. I sat next to Arlene and she asked me who I was? Painful - to say the least. She asked me that several times during my visit. Fading away is an awful thing to see and I think her daughter my niece (Shawn) dying had taken a heavy toll on her - and the whole family. I can't visit her only call her if she has her phone on. My Nephew is (her legal guardian) and taking care of her home and now has to sell her house and use that money to offset what medicare won't cover. She has other insurance from her late husband but it too has limitations regarding certain medical situations. Arlene will be taken care off as my nephew John & his family are her legal guardians. Their house was too small to take his Mother in with all their kids and him being laid off. Life is a real bitch at times and we all know it sooner or later - Boats

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links