The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-17-2003, 11:15 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Unhappy My Platoon Sergeant Died Today

In Vietnam , as a platoon leader , I only had a platoon sergeant for a very few days before he was wounded. I knew him as "Big A", that's what everyone called him. Big A was riding on a Sheridan that hit a pretty big mine. I ran up to him and he was skinned up a lot and a leg was bending the wrong way. He was out cold. I bent over him to clear the airway and he opened his eyes and smiled real big at me and said " Looks like I am going home LT." I helped carry him to the dust off and he winked at me and gave me a thumps up. I never saw him again. I was glad he was going home. He was much to old for this $hit, probably middle 30's really but he reminded you of your Dad. I was happy he was safe and would be joining his family in the world soon. Flash forward 32 years. Through this computer I am talking to a guy who was in my platoon then and just out of the blue I asked him about BIG A. He tells me Sfc Armentraut recovered and was not sent home but he went to our Air Cav Troop , Delta Troop as an observer, where he was convinced it was safer than running around the jungle with killer kids. A few months later his chopper was flying over around Laos and was hit with an RPG , going down in a ball of fire - none of the bodies were recovered.. I have remembered that man and smile and wink with great joy and a smile all these years.. made it seem like sometimes , somehow things worked out good. I learned he died today a long time ago. He has not been forgotten for 32 years and never will. Welcome Home to all the brothers and especially Big A.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2003, 12:55 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Default Hero

For those who fought on distant shore,
Who gave without a word;
Defending us with honor,
So gallantly they served.

For every boy who left his home,
Returning there a man;
And every woman who made a choice,
To make serving part of her plan.

For every fallen soldier,
Who gave all they could give;
To guarantee our liberty,
And the freedom that we live.

Each one who served with honor,
The brave, the tried, the true;
America gives it thanks today,
For we see a hero in you.

AllisonChambers Coxsey
c1999

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 02-18-2003, 05:07 AM

Lt,

Sorry to hear that. You and I know we don't live forever. My best to you and his family for your loss.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 02-18-2003, 10:13 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Thumbs down Lt

Since I got on the internet I've tried to find as many of my old friends as possible. (Also used the police interstate computer system). The good part is I have several sets of orders that have some of their names, DOBs and SS#s on them. I've found 8 guys I was a grunt with. The bad news is I've checked vets sites and sent letters to old addresses, found that several have families that received death benifits, funerals etc. in the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s. At least those guys had a chance to enjoy the world some, not like "Big A".
Isn't anything to say but sorry bout that. I do wish it turned out better for him but they say you never die as long as you are remembered. Keep remembering Big A.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 02-18-2003, 10:22 AM

Amen Andy Amen

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 02-18-2003, 02:16 PM

Lt.-

Had a similar experience.Bothered me so much I never did any further searches and have never gone to any memorials that had KIA lists.Wish now that I hadn't let it scare me that much.I'm sorry for your loss.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:56 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Thanks y'all. Andy is right - as long as you are remembered you don't die. Big A has brought me a lot of comfort over all these years - it was the "right thing" that he made it home. I have decided to leave him in Ohio - I don't know why Ohio - probably playing with his grand babies by now. Thats how I want to remember him - he is alive in my memory. Scouts out , Big A !