The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-2004, 09:31 AM

Default 1st shirts

Hello,
I was just wondering if anyone here was or is a 1st sgt. I decided that that will be my goal. And before i set my mind closed on it i was just wondering if anyone with or even knows a lot about the job can tell me some real experiences.
thanks greg
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2004, 09:59 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to travisab1

MissleMonkey;
You're kidding...aren't you???

Travis

I could sure use another one right about now...
Old 02-11-2004, 10:36 AM

no unfortunately.....way to rag on my hope like that
Old 02-11-2004, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

It is not a bad goal at all MissleMonkey28. My dad retired an E9 from the Navy and has done very well for himself. I think gatewoodsret was a 1st sgt. Might want to PM him about what is needed early on to get there. He also posted his email once as gatewoodsret@aol.com if you want to try that
Old 02-11-2004, 12:35 PM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default MissleMonkey

Good luck to you in your endeavor...however twisted it may be!

I hope you don't turn out like the 1st shirt I had. Geez! What a...well, decorum won't permit me to tell you exactly what the entire squadron thought of him. When he hit his 30th year in the AF, he went through his congressman for an extension and he got 2 more years, news that went over like a lead balloon to us. It's rare to meet someone who is universally despised, but there he was. We were allowed to have pets in the barracks and, in a moment of extreme stupidity, I got a chipmunk complete with cage. Now these are wily little creatures and while I was away on a short TDY, the little @#$% escaped and virtually wrecked my room. Didn't the 1st shirt pull a surprise inspection! He left a note for me to report to him immediately and, when I did, he hadcourt martial papersall ready for me. He absolutely gloated at this. I remember he had bits of cigar tobacco on his teeth as he gave me that evil grin. Then he said, in front of witnesses who hated him,he was going to make an example of me, and that statement saved my butt. As the LT said, he wasn't allowed to go out of him way like that, so I just received a reprimand and had to work my days off for a month.

There are a thousand other stories about him including about 2 guys who tried to kill him, literally! I can't emphasize enough about what a true a$$hole he was. When he finally retired he made the mistake of living in the barracks for 2 weeks until his wife could come out and join him. In that time he had his room ransacked 3 times and someone defecated on his bunk. AND HE STILL STAYED!!! When he left the base we had a huge party attended by enlisted men and officers alike.

If you do make that rank, remember to treat your men fairly and your bunk will stay clean!
Old 02-11-2004, 01:04 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default MM

What do you think a 1st does that you see yourself doing?
I mean, usually, people see something in what ever job they pick, that they see themselfs doing. If you don't know, Then why would you want to do it?

Ron, E-4
Old 02-11-2004, 01:41 PM

Well ron,
My understanding is that the 1st shirt is the guy who takes care of the problems. When people mess up he's the guy to bail em out or to punish them. I always thought that he was the one to help em out with their goals thats just something that appeals tp me. Thats at least what my 1st shirt claims he does

greg
Old 02-11-2004, 04:38 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Greg...many years ago when I was a young Private just home from Basic my Father told me a story about 1st SGT that I will relay to you: Seems that many years ago just after the conclusion of the Korean War the post my father was assign to was expecting a visit from some General, the camp was all a buzz. Finally the day arrived for the big inspection. My father was about to exit the mess hall when he spoted this General headed for the front door, Dad stop, so he could call "At Ease!" to the troops eating when the General stopped short of the door and turned to a Private emptying the garbage. The General stated "Son, do you know who I am?" the private replied "No" and the General stated "I am General Whatever His Name Was" the Private turned to him and stated "Well you better get your ass over to the First Sergeant, he's been looking for you all day!"

Look past the antidote and see what that First Sergeant was to that Private. He was everything, no one held more power or was more important than him to that Private. If you can become that kind of Sergeant you will be loved and admired for years.

Good luck!

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 02-11-2004, 04:40 PM

catman,
Thank you for that story that hit it hammer to nail exactly why i was lookin into being a 1sgt
Old 02-11-2004, 05:07 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up mm

I think you will be a great one ! Service could not run without them.