The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Military Weapons

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Colt M1911 .45 Caliber Handgun

The M1911 originated from weapons trials held by the United States military in the early part of the 1900s (with the base M1911 actually originating from a John Browning design made in 1900). Trials took place in 1907 with the military looking to replace the .38 revolver and cartridge for it lackluster man-stopping effectiveness (hence the desire to compete with the .45 caliber round over the .38). The original .45 round, incidentally, had been developed for a civilian version of a Colt prior to its testing at the hands of the military board, but incorporated into the militarized version for this testing.

After nine pistols were tested from various contractors, a relatively short three-month evaluation period saw the Colt M1911 as the front-runner with several hundred ordered for additional field testing. After some minor requested adjustments, the M1911 was officially accepted in 1911 as the standard issue sidearm of the United States Army and United States Navy (hence the "1911" in the official designation).

The M1911 .45-caliber semi-automatic pistol is a recoil-operated hand weapon. It is a 7-round, magazine-fed, semi-automatic weapon which fires one round each time the trigger is squeezed once the hammer is cocked by prior action of the slide or thumb. This type of firing design is referred to as "single action only." The thumb safety may only be activated once the pistol is cocked. The hammer remains in the fully-cocked position once the safety is activated. In contrast, more modern pistol designs of the "double action" type will allow the hammer to move forward to an uncocked position when the thumb safety is activated.

The M1911A1 was widely respected for its reliability and lethality. However, its single action / cocked-and-locked design required the user to be very familiar and well trained to allow carrying the pistol in the "ready-to-fire" mode. Consequently, M1911A1s were often prescribed to be carried without a round in the chamber. Even with this restriction on the user, numerous unintentional discharges were documented yearly.

The M1911 first saw action in the First World War (seeing action with the British Flying Corps and British Navy elements of that war as well). Experience from those engagements led to some more minor alterations in the safety grip, pistol grip rear trigger frame. After these changes, the weapon was redesignated as the 'M1911A1' which has become the more widely recognized variant today.

The M1911A1 would go on to serve the US Army and US Navy from 1911 through 1992, serving in World War One, World War Two, Korea and Vietnam. The M1911A1 had been the standard handgun issued to the United States Marines for many decades as well. Selected weapons were modified in the 1980s to meet the requirements of the MEU(SOC) in lieu of arming them with the Italian-designed Beretta M9 9mm pistol.

Throughout its illustrous history, the Colt M1911 has not only been produced by the Colt firearms company but has also seen production with numerous companies that include the Ithaca Gun Company of New York, Remington Rand Incorporated of New York, Remington Arms-Union Metallic Cartridge Company of Connecticut, the Springfield Armory of Massachussetts, the Union Switch and Signal Company of Pennsylvania and the North American Arms Company of Quebec, Canada. Norway and Argentina have also produced the M1911 under Colt licensing as the m/1914 and Model 1927 respectively.
Specifications for the M1911 .45 Caliber Handgun:
Designation: M1911A1
Might Be Known As: Colt 45
Classification: Semi-Automatic Handgun
Caliber: .45 ACP Caliber
Length: 8.5 inches (216 mm)
Weight: 2.5 lbs (unloaded); 3.0 lbs (loaded)
Magazine Capacity: 7-round detachable box
Range: 82.02 ft (25 m)
Muzzle Velocity: 910 feet per second
Variants: M1911 (initial production model); M1911A1 ('standardized production model); MEU(SOC) ('Combat Accurized' model of base M1911A1).
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-2008, 05:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gunner Carvo Send a message via MSN to Gunner Carvo Send a message via Yahoo to Gunner Carvo
Distinctions
Contributor 

I hear rumors that we may go back to those. Berettas suck ass.

"Without me, the war will go on. With me, it could end." - me

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty." - JFK

"Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto."
(I bring not the rays of the sun but the thunderbolts of Jupiter)

Old 03-01-2008, 05:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I got my first M1911 ln 1964 and haven't been without one since.

My present one is a Colt Series 70 M1911A1 National Match pistol.

Back in the 50s and early 60s US citizens could buy a surplus M1911A1 from the government for $17.50 plus shipping.

If I could only have one handgun, this would be it.

Steve / 82Rigger
Old 03-01-2008, 06:46 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Steve,

You ain't just whistlin' Dixie... best damn pistol ever made and yes, if I could only own one, that would be it.

I could only hope that the military goes back to it but I doubt it due to NATO stuff. Everything has to be in compliance with NATO and the .45 ain't it...it's that bullshit 9mm that didn't work too well for the Nazi's.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 03-01-2008, 09:53 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

I have agree. If there is a better handgun for social encounters, I have yet to run into it.
If it ain't broke don't fix it. Some folks musta just had too much time on their hands.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:22 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Yep!

The 45 ACP cartridge is definitely a man-stopper.

That slow movin' 230 grain bullet hits like an ax swung by a big lumberjack.

Those of you who only know the M1911 from your military service probably weren't impressed with the accuracy. You probably considered it kind of an "area" weapon.

But I'm here to tell ya that a military M1911 National Match pistol or a civilian Colt M1911 Gold Cup, with Match ammunition, is capable of superb accuracy.

My Series 70 Gold Cup, from a machine rest, will put 10 rounds into one ragged hole about an inch and a quarter in diameter.

And today, you can buy thin-jacketed hollow cavity ammunition that will absolutely ruin somebody's day if they're hit with it.

P.S. The military M1911 pistols produced by Remington Rand are highly desirable to collectors. If you have one, please don't alter it in any way.

Steve

Steve / 82Rigger

Last edited by 82Rigger; 03-01-2008 at 11:30 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-01-2008, 11:34 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

My 1911 is serial number1320946 and has "United States Property " stamped on it.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:04 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

LT,

Your .45 was manufactured in 1943 by Remington Rand.

Steve / 82Rigger
Old 03-01-2008, 03:18 PM

I prefer the .40-caliber Glock 22.

Mandatory Features of your hand gun
They must be utterly reliable.
They must provide acceptable accuracy within normal combat ranges.
They must be simple to operate.
They must display good handling characteristics, especially recoil control.
They must be chambered for cartridges with sufficient power for defensive purposes.
They must have sufficient cartridge capacity for the job at hand.

Desirable Features of your hand gun.
They should be of a weight that makes them convenient to carry for extended periods of time.
They should be compact enough to carry concealed, with the right holster, under light clothing.
They should have grips suitable for a wide range of hand sizes.
They should be capable of accepting equipment making them suitable for specialized purposes.
Extra ammunition/magazines should be convenient to carry.

--------------------------------

Last edited by DeadlyDaring; 03-01-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:14 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Thanks Steve !