The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Veterans > Veterans Benefits

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2004, 08:25 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Default Veteran's Earn and Learn Act

I got a letter from my rep the other day about H.R. 1716. It looks good in his letter. Does anybody know anything about it?

Chilidog

RICHARD HUGH BAKER
6TH DISTRICT, LOUISIANA
COMMITTEE ON FINANCIAL SERVICES
CHAIRMAN SUBCOMMITTEE ON CAPITAL MARKETS, INSURANCE AND GOVERNMENT SPONSORED ENTERPRISES
SUBCOMMITTEE ON FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS AND CONSUMER CREDIT
SUBCOMMITTEE ON HOUSING AND COMMUNITY OPPORTUNITY

Dear David L.:
- -~~-~

In my continuing effort to maintain our line of communication, I want to take this opportunity to update you on legislation I co-authored that will enhance job-market opportunities for America's newest returning veterans.
According to the Department of Defense, thousands of service members who sign up for the Montgomery GI Bill program later find that traditional classroom training does not fit their career goals. Instead they would rather move directly into the job market. They also find that on- job training and apprenticeships are excellent, practical ways for veterans to use their education benefits, especially for those who are married with families to support.
The "Veterans Earn and Learn Act", H.R. 1716, would dramatically update the on-job training and apprenticeship programs administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs (V A) to reflect learning opportunities in American business and industry today.. Indeed, this legislation is Congress' first major re-write of on-job training and apprenticeship policies for veterans since World War II.
Under H.R. 1716, the Montgomery 01 Bill benefit levels payable to veterans in qualified on-the-job training (OJT) and apprenticeship programs would increase up to $837 per month. As the training wage increases over time, the monthly V A educational allowance would decrease. In OJT and apprenticeship programs early, rather than penalizing them by paying only for time spent in the program. The legislation would also expand V A's ability to qualify additional competency-based apprenticeship programs for inclusion under the 01 Bill program.
Almost 200,000 separating service members per year, including reservists, would be eligible to use the "Earn and Learn" initiative. Without a doubt, "Earn and Learn" represents a unique opportunity for newly returning veterans, reservists, and dependent widows and children to use the V A educational assistance program to augment the entry-level wage the employer pays them as they train on the job.
As a senior Member of the House Veterans Affairs Committee, I firmly believe that America's veterans bring a unique combination of skill, discipline, character and talent to the workplace. Rest assured, I am committed to this endeavor and the House of Representatives is expected to easily pass H.R. 1716 by summer's end.
For additional information regarding veteran issues, please visit the "Legislative Issues" link on my website, http://www.baker.house.gov. Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,
~~~~~
Richard-H.-Baker - Member of Congress
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links