The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default The Field Artillery Medal of Honor Monument

Well folks I have jumped into a firefight again. Many things have happened concerning the Medal of Honor in the last few days that have made me decide to move my ass and do something about it. As some of you know my cousin Maj William (Bill) E. Adams, FA was A Post-Humous MOH recipient. Many years ago (1977) A flight simulator training facility was dedicated in his name at Ft. Sill. At the post HQ building there was a cast bronze plaque with all of the artillery MOH recipients names on it. As the date for the training center dedication drew near and as I was a relative and a FA officer I was coordinating events with the family and Ft. Sill. It so happened that for some reason Bills name had not been put on the plaque. To make a long story longer I had a major run in with the post museum and they took down the existing plaques and replaced them with a real cheezy replacement consisting of burned and varnished plywood with a 3x5 brass plate with the name engraved on it.

This has bothered me ever since.

In the last 2 days I have been in touch with the Ft Sill Museum, The Medal of Honor Society the Internal revenue service and several other people and have established a non_ profit (501C3) organization to solicit contributions in order to build a fitting monument/memorial to all Field Artillery Medal of Honor recipients. It is anticipated that the memorial will be at Ft. Sill and will become a part of the Ft. Sill museum. Wish me luck on this as I will need it.

The official name of the Organization is "The Field Artillery Medal of Honor Monument Organization" It has a registered web site FAMOHMONUMENT.org, .net, .com and .info none of which are active having just been established.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

The people that made the burnt plywood plaques most likely thought they were doing something good. Some people like pink flamingos in their front yard. The problem is with a place like this, a decorator or at least someone that has a little sence of what is and isn't good looking should have had a chance to say , Ahhhhh No.
I remember doing a resteration on the first firetruck Sugar land got. After about a gallon of stripper, the bright brass fittings were revieled under some ugly red paint. People think they are doing good when they are not.
Get the plaque fixed.

Ron
Old 03-25-2009, 03:38 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Smile Support for project

Just received an Email from the Director/Curator of the Ft. Sill Museum Giving their support.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:30 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Thumbs up

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:35 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default More Good News

Received permission from the Medal of Honor Society to use an image of the Medal of Honor on the letterhead and envelopes. Will post it when I get the proofs back. Will have the MOH on the upper left, The FA Branch insignia on the upper right and org name in the center. Things are moving on. Fred got me in touch with THE RIGHT people in the IRS and the 501c3 stuff will be expidited.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:20 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default What a great thing!

You go Sid. I'll do what I can on this end to help you out. Lotta retired senior Army officers around here that have many connections. Keep me posted.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 03-27-2009, 08:20 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHO127 View Post
Received permission from the Medal of Honor Society to use an image of the Medal of Honor on the letterhead and envelopes. Will post it when I get the proofs back. Will have the MOH on the upper left, The FA Branch insignia on the upper right and org name in the center. Things are moving on. Fred got me in touch with THE RIGHT people in the IRS and the 501c3 stuff will be expidited.
Good Luck Sid !!!!

Larry
Old 03-27-2009, 10:39 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Same here. The artillery has saved more grunts than the medics.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:37 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Would like to see David save this thread on top so we all can find it quickly.

Sid, from an one Redleg to another, thank you and may your cousin rest in peace knowing you are carrying the torch for him and his. If there is anything I can do, please holler!

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 03-28-2009, 08:15 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default !0 million things to do

Just to get started. Right now I am getting all of the initial administrative stuff set up. 501c3 filed, need to get web site up letters and certificates printed.

What I need is if any of you know a person willing to donate to a project such as this have them get in contact with me or me with them. I need some starter money.

Catman you comming to Georgia??