Old 02-12-2004, 06:03 AM

Distinctions
VOM 
Cool Marines spare no firepower in island 'siege'

Marines spare no firepower in island 'siege'
Submitted by: MCB Camp Pendleton
Story Identification Number: 200429185948
Story by Sgt. Rick S. Diaz

SAN CLEMENTE ISLAND, Calif.(February 5, 2004) -- Pendleton-based amtrackers stormed aboard this island with guns blazing recently - wielding everything from explosives and rockets to pistols in an exercise primarily designed to refine their ability to breach obstacles during an amphibious assault.

After coming ashore, the Marines from Mobility/Counter Mobility Platoon, Headquarters and Service Company, 3rd Assault Amphibian Battalion spent time honing their small-weapons skills during weeklong training that began Jan. 19 and concluded Jan. 26.

The unit accomplished a series of water-to-land breaches by firing three rockets from their amphibious assault vehicles.

In a real operation, each rocket propels 1,700 pounds of C4 explosives. Here the rockets were used first in the water to clear mock mines and obstacles, then onshore, where concertina wire, other manmade obstacles and more mock mines blocked their path.

It was only the platoon's second dress rehearsal in amphibious breaching, according to 1st Lt. Anthony G. Sousa, of Sanford, Maine, the platoon commander for MCM and officer-in-charge of the exercise.
"The line charge that we use is really the Marine Corps' only heavy explosive breaching asset," Sousa said.

"We don't often get the chance to fire the line charge in the amphibious breach scenario," he said

Environmental restrictions at Camp Pendleton preclude such explosive training, Sousa said.

"(Amphibious assault vehicle crewmen) have a complicated job in terms of estimating their distance and the range in the obstacle belt, and placing the line charge exactly where it needs to go in the minefield," he said.

"That's something you cannot do at Camp Pendleton or Twentynine Palms in terms of the amphibious side of this (exercise)," he added.

The training leaves little room for mistakes, Marines said.

"You have close to 7,000 pounds of C4 on that amtrack. That NCO or that Marine that is responsible for supporting that battalion during the fight," said Staff Sgt. Tony Lona, a team leader with the platoon and an Esponola, N.M. native.

"If he is not capable of employing his vehicle to the utmost of his ability, he's going to get not only himself killed, but (the payload) could cause collateral damage 3,000 meters wide and deep," said Lona.

Five AAVs, riding aboard three landing craft air-cushioned from Assault Craft Unit 5, made the trip from Camp Pendleton to the island 50-plus-miles to the southwest.

After arriving ashore, crewmen later returned to the water in their AAVs to begin their breach training.

Once the beach was reached, the training was far from over.

First, Marines underwent Marine Corps Martial Arts training. Then they fired M9 pistols and battle-sight-zeroed M16A2 service rifles.

They also underwent individual and team assault courses with both the M9 and M16A2.
Patrolling and basic demolitions involving C4 rounded out the week.

"San Clemente Island offers tremendous training opportunities for any unit that wants to put the time in it," Sousa said.

"What we were trying to accomplish and did in the end was giving these Marines the knowledge and expectation of what they are going to see on the battlefield," Lona said.

The Marines understood the significance of the training, both in the water and on land.

"When I go to combat, I know what to do. They don't have to look twice at me. I know my job, all I have to do is execute," said Lance Cpl. Patrick J. Vitt, an AAV crewman from Boston.

"I never shot the M9 before, and so it was a good experience to learn that, just in case I need to take someone else's weapon, I know how to use it. I had a lot of fun and I'd like to do it again," said Pfc. Lucio C. Vega, a crewman and Wenatchee, Wash., native.

"The live shooting ranges we did were vital," said Lance Cpl. Joseph D. Bohannon, a crewman and native of Palm Springs.

"In combat, we are going to be faced with situations where we have to make decisions very quick, and when you're on that course, it puts it to the test," Bohannon added.
E-mail Sgt. Diaz at DiazES@pendleton.usmc.mil

An amphibious assault vehicle fires a rocket with an atached line of inert training training explosives off San Clemente Island. The charges are used to clear a pathway in mine-riddled water or obstacle-laden land in an actual breaching operation. Photo by: Sgt. Rick S. Diaz

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn20...3?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links