The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Family

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2023, 04:32 AM

Unhappy wrong post - deleted

sorry

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Last edited by Boats; 05-14-2023 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Deleted
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2023, 04:42 AM

Unhappy The Things You Don’t Say to Your Mom

The Things You Don’t Say to Your Mom
By SARAH SCHUTTE - National Review News 05-14-23
Re: https://www.nationalreview.com/2023/...y-to-your-mom/

Nine people living under one roof is a recipe for a logistical nightmare. Sure, we post-college, fully employed adult children pay rent, but who’s taking out the trash, cleaning the bathroom sink, and drying the dishes? Enter the “Family Meeting,” a weekly gathering of the Schutte clan complete with a Dad Jokes Intro, a Schedule Session, and a (very popular) Bitter Complaints Section. Though our parents aren’t controlling the lives of their eldest children, some semblance of order and familial cooperation is needed when ages eleven to 26 live at home, so we dutifully set aside our various Sunday-night occupations and pack into the back sitting room.

And that’s when the fun begins.

The main rule is that, during Bitter Complaints, only one person may speak, and he is not to be interrupted (under pain of a fine) or responded to until he’s completely finished. For a family of vocal individuals, this can be a trial, but we manage (that fine is hefty). Which leads us to one recent fateful evening. Our resident 17-year-old, a thoughtful and rather too honest young man, had had a rough week and, in trying to express his frustration over a misunderstanding with Mom, said, in essence, “Mom, sometimes you’re really hard to be around.”

The no-speaking rule forgotten, shocked gasps arose around the room. Thankfully for the young man, our mother has a wry sense of humor, and this major faux pas is now the running joke around the dinner table.

Everyone says their mom has the patience of a saint, but when a mom is on her 22nd year of homeschooling and is teaching Latin to her seventh child, you now have living proof. Latin, you ask? But of course. I’ve also found it difficult to stump her on any question ranging from biology to grammar to pre-algebra to history for the last 15 years. While her college degree may not be in any of those subjects, my mom is blessed with the gift of wonder. I see it daily in her desire to create and cultivate beauty in every moment, to inspire delight and awe in us through learning and observation.

If Social Graces 101 were a college class, my mother would never lack for a job. Yes, there are the basics, like “Don’t talk with your mouth full,” and “Wipe your feet at the front door.” But what about leaving a place cleaner than you found it? Or how to answer the phone properly? Even the advent of caller ID still hasn’t broken me of the words drilled into me by mom, “Hello, this is Sarah. May I help you?”

Her determination is contagious, and whether it’s discussing heavy themes in To Kill a Mockingbird, working out a tricky passage in a piano piece, or nailing the right tone in a scholarship application, she’ll make sure you understand that doing hard things is important. And we certainly would’ve missed out on incredible opportunities without her. Who else would get you up at 6 a.m. during vacation to look for an indigo bunting? It is just this kind of drive that makes me marvel at my mom. Would we have gone birding for twelve straight hours if she hadn’t led the way? Or learned how to water-ski if she hadn’t demonstrated it first? Or tried a complicated reupholstering project if she hadn’t showed us how? And, whether he admits it or not, my 23-year-old brother must find it cool that he can impress his friends by identifying a hydrangea for them, having weeded and mulched around my mom’s for years.

Her insight into our needs is often deeper than our own, as proven over and over again by the thoughtful, well-timed questions she asks. From helping my cousin find success as a welder to comforting one of her goddaughters going through a tough loss, she constantly demonstrates a Christ-like selflessness born from years of trial and perseverance. Without my mom reminding me in college of my early interest in radio, I certainly wouldn’t be here at National Review.

Her consideration is just as obvious at home, too, where family traditions are planned and enlivened by her forethought. Saints’ feast days, birthdays, holidays — my mom takes great joy in cultivating the way we celebrate personal and liturgical festivities and seasons. The rituals, delicious food, wonderful literature, glorious music, and understanding of their meaning all come to us thanks to her pursuit of wonder and desire to put God first in all she does.

I’m not a mother, so I can speak only to what I’ve observed. What have I seen? I’ve seen a woman who surrenders her time and talent to God for the strengthening of her family; a woman who has taught piano to numerous children for over 30 years so they could learn to love music and so she could pay for her own children’s extracurricular activities; a woman who takes her children to weekday Mass even when she’s exhausted; and a woman who asks for mulch for Mother’s Day so she can make the outside of our home as inviting as the inside. It is these hidden moments, unnoticed by the hurrying world, that are so important. Mom understands that, no matter what the world says, her children were made for greatness, and it is her job, along with her husband, to get them to heaven.

Speaking of things you shouldn’t say to your mom: When my sister, who is soon to be married, was very small, she sassed my mom. As punishment, she was given a writing assignment (a favorite penalty in our home). She has fabulous handwriting today, and it’s thanks to the hours she spent writing this phrase: “My mom did not fall off the turnip truck yesterday.”

No, mom, you certainly didn’t, and we can’t ever thank you enough for all the late nights, hard talks, attentive notes, piano lessons, chauffeuring, delicious meals, merry Christmases, thoughtful gifts, and daily prayers you’ve showered us with.

Happy Mother’s Day, Mom.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personal note: Mom's are dear to us all - and when they are gone we remember its everlasting memories of things said & done and the punishment we've all felt when
we were wrong.
-
Now make sense - but Mom's only go around once - and they will leave us when we
most need them. Today is Mother's Day and our kids will no doubt call her or come
over - Mom today isn't doing so well and at times visitation's are always at the
wrong time now-a-days.
-
Like so many most of our Mom's are long gone - but even from the grave
at times - we recall her teachings and her anger when we were bad or
wrong. Rest in Peace Mom - as I know you are still watching over us kids
and must frown every now and then when we screw up - as usual!
-

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote