The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-28-2004, 06:34 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up War zone pets

Saw this as a thread over on the History Channel site. Rev Doc and Frisbee answered over there . Like my Hommie , we really didn't have pets in the bush. When we got back to Dong Ha there were dogs but they were like community dogs and we didn't get back much to Dong Ha. I remember Andy talking about a duck he had for awhile. About the only pet I had was an almost continous series of leeches that I named M..... F ...ERS ! :re:
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2004, 07:29 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default John

Apparently, I was adopted by the cousins of your MF's, as they seemed to like Texans! We also had a native dog named "Bitch" that one of our guys saved from a stew pot, and she became a very loyal watchdog, and didn't like the locals one bit. Guess if I had been destined for somebody's lunch, I'd be a bit resentful as well!
PS: hope your basement's dried out!
Brice
Scouts Out!!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 09-28-2004, 08:48 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Cool pets

Yep, we had to of them. A duck named Donald Goose who loved to drink beer with us and a monkey named Monkey who also drank beer and and pleasured himself a lot. We were ordered to kill both of them. Sad really, they didn't eat much, never tried to bum a whole beer from me and were health freaks (neither smoked).

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 09-28-2004, 09:45 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking The Monkey lives on !

Andy , the monkey did not die in vain. Several of the patrons at the Outhouse exhibit similar characteristics to your departed friend ( except the smoking part ) Ain't nothing floating in my basement , Brice , thank goodness. Scouts Out !
Old 09-28-2004, 02:00 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Our Lt had a monkey that was tied to the tent post.....
I fed it Ex-lax......
Monkey $hit all over the Lts gear.....
Monkey disappeared...
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 09-28-2004, 02:47 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

My first 2wks. in the 101st was spent at the main basecamp in Phan Rang getting processed in, drawing equipment, and going through P-Training. I wasn't there very long before I noticed a monkey that kind of had the run of the place. I don't know what kind he was, but he was of medium build [for a monkey] and about 3ft. tall when he stood on his hind legs.

He didn't belong to anyone in particular. His original owner probably rotated out, walking or otherwise. Everyone just fed him whatever. Now remember, we're talking about a bunch of young paratroopers. This guys diet consisted of mostly beer, whiskey, junk food, and more beer. Like James , he would eagerly smoke a joint if offered. From what I could see, he spent most of the time drunk or sleeping.

When I was sent up-country to join my unit, I didn't return to Phan Rang for 4mos.. That was to be sent to Saigon to see a dermotologist for a jungle rot that I contracted. The first thing I noticed was the monkey was missing. After asking around I found out what happened to him.

He kept drinking more, and eating less. I guess he got to be a pretty mean drunk; hardly anyone could handle him. It was decided that he had to be gotten rid of. However, he was so liked by everyone no one wanted to just shoot him. It was decided that he would be turned loose, but not in that condition. He was captured and caged. He was sobered up [wonder what a monkey's DTs are like] and fed the healthiest foods that could be gotten from the mess hall or off of the locals. He did this regemin for about 6wks..

It was decided that since he was with an airborne unit, he should parachute into the jungle somewhere for his freedom. They got a flare parachute and made a harness for him, something that they felt he could get out of once on the ground. At the first opportunity he was taken up in a chopper. They hovered at about 100ft. over some jungle west of Phan Rang, and out the door the monkey went. He was last seen landing in the top of some trees in a triple canopy jungle. As far as I know, he was the only monkey to be Airborne qualified. Well, there was this staff sergeant that closely resembled an ape .

While at Cam Ranh Bay during my second tour, seemed to be quite afew dogs around. One night in my hootch a guy is coming back from taking a shower [I loved being a REMF ] after lights out, and trips over a dog in the dark. He cusses and takes a swift kick at it. He kicks a foot locker as hard as he can, while wearing flip-flops, instead. He lets out a BLOOD-CURDLING scream. When we turn the lights on, the guy is sitting in the middle of the floor rocking back and forth holding his foot. There's a fair amount of blood around him. When I take a look, he's about ripped his little toe off. It's barely hanging there by a piece of skin. I tip the toe up into the position that it should be, and the guy screams again and faints . He lost the toe. Personally, I didn't feel too sorry for him. I've always been a huge dog lover. Have 3 of them now.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:59 PM

Pets is one funny topic ,keep it coming !!
Old 09-28-2004, 04:49 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Great story Frisco !! Our platoon Sgt. "Jake" Jacobs had a monkey called Rita. He DEROSed out in March 70. As I recall it was very well behaved. I do remember that he would play cards with the Battalion commander ( an LTC ) when we were all set up together and would take the monkey along. I don't know what happened to it when he left. I don't recall any other pets at all.. and in thinking back, I don't believe I saw any dogs or cats during my whole tour...

Larry

P.S :

Anyone who would run into CS gas for C-rat cheese or peanut- butter would look at a cat or dog the same way we look at a T-bone steak....
Old 09-28-2004, 08:05 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 

We had a little monkey and a puppy,both of unknown origin,for awhile and it was a real hoot to watch them play together.Came in from the brush one day and they had both disappeared.Probably ended up on someone`s dinner menu would be my guess.
My favorite 'pet story' was just before Vietnam when we were at Ft. Stewart.A couple of us befriended a young,about 2 foot-long alligator out in the swamp,captured him and brought him home to our hooch.Boys will be boys,I guess.Battalion pulled a surprise inspection one day a month or two later and the Col. found the Gator lock-jawed on the end of his swagger stick.Now,Gator,having been on a diet of lots of goodies like raw chickens and roasts that were liberated from the mess hall,had grown considerably and needless to say,scared the shit out of the inspection crew.Next morning the Top tells me to get rid of our pet before I can even deny that I`m aware of his existance,or the Col.is gonna have my ass.Afraid that Ole Gator might not have the required survival skills to make it back in the Okeefonokee,we put him in a pond........on the base golf course.We continued to suppliment his diet.At feeding time we`d simply take a stick and wave it around in the water and Gator would come flying.Mouth open wide.So,the Batt.Com,the Post Com.,and some visiting dignitaries are shooting a round one day when the Gen. knocks his ball in the water hazard.The story goes that he began flailing his club about in an effort to retrieve his sunken ball,and here come Gator and took the club right out of his hand!I guess the General nearly shit a brick.Top had a sorta glint in his eye when he asked what we had done with our pet.

Peace,Griz
Old 09-29-2004, 05:17 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default How tough can paratrooper training be...

if even a monkey with the DT's can jump?! Frisco, you should've at least tatooed a "Screaming Eagle" on his butt before tossing him out!