The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-13-2002, 06:42 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Back To The Nam Victory Tour

I'm starting to plan the Victory Tour, in late April or early May.
Here's how it looks so far:
Arrive HCM city, rent a car and driver ($59/day plus gas), and tool on up ol Highway 1 taking in the scenery. Bin Hoa, phan Thiet and Phan Rang (exhome to th 101st)
I never got an incountry R&R to Vung Tao so I'm gonna stop there and also Cam Ranh and take in the facilities so kindly left there by our government so long ago--sposed to be some good surfing there, I hear, the REMFs would know more about this than me.
North of Nha Trang (Recondo School!), we head left and head up to Ban Me Thuot in the Central Highlands. I spent lots of time up there and its pretty, a center of commerce and culture when my ancestors were raping and plundering their way through the Crusades. The Barbarian comes once again, this time armed only with a Gold Visa
Then take the drive north to the Pleis--plei Me, Plei Jereng, Pleiku. I spent time here, too, if I can, I'm going to cruise the Ia Drang Valley again to hear the ghosts.
Being driven by a Commie, He'll hpefully know where all the mines and booby traps are--maybe some we laid. I really hope to speak to some of their military people, shoot off some of their firearms--Blast Them Imperialist Running Dogs (LOL).
Drive out west of Pleiku to Cambodia, just to say I been there for sure--I may have been before but only by a few 100yds, they didn't have dotted yellow lines in the forest.
and then back east of Pleiku and down through Mang Yang Pass once more--I can see where we patrolled from the road. This is where the well armed hostile peasant weeweed on yr humble correspondent quaking in a bush--did I say he had lots of friends nearby?-- and where they fired us up getting off the chopper. Ive said before I intend to be driven down this road throwing piasters and MPC out the window, and God willing, I'll post the photos right here.
through Anh Khe and see if the Sin City's still there, then to QuiNhon for some more beach time----Spent some time in the hills south of town watching the lepers rot, Christmas Day, 1967
North from Quang Ngai and maybe through the Song Be Valley--there's ghosts here for me too but what I want to see again is what I thought was the eeriest thing in the war. A huge concrete bridge like an overpass in the air, but with the ends up maybe 15'--unusable without the approaches, just a concrete bridge out in the middle of nowhere unused and unusable--your tax dollars hard at work.
Duc Pho is on the road, where my platoon picture was ttaken and Quang Ngai. Then on through Chu Lai, danang, Hue and acros the nonexistent DMZ and on to Hanoi
Youre gonna see a picture of the ol lrrpster in Hanoi, Ho's tomb, with the psycovets ball cap on and the 101st patch, grinning hugely and flashing the peace sign. Thats a promise. That way you'll know for sure the war is over---and who won it.
The invitation is still open for anyone here to go with me

James
Old 12-13-2002, 07:24 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Can't wait to see that pic by HO's tomb , James. I'll pay for the gas if you take a side trip out RT 9 , by Dong Ha , out to Khe Shan and take a hugh shit !
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 07:24 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Crazy...

...Crazy for feelin'....

...James, best wishes on your vacation,...

... Do you really think that anyone here is crazy enough to go back there with you a second time??? ...

...I'd go with you just for the excitement, cause we all know your gonna pull sometin' out yor' a$$, and I want first pictures....

...Be safer this time.................

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 12-13-2002, 07:39 AM

James

I'd love to go with you but I don't know how I'd scrape up the cash...and, my lady would not be too happy. She waited for me the last time & I don't want to stir up memories for her.

I'd like to see more of the country than I did 1st time.

But, going to Hanoi? We'd have to drive over that d*mn bridge at Dong Ha (which they rebuilt). Probably would get arrested for trying to blow it up.

BTW, Dong Ha is now the provinical capitol of Quang Tri province. QT city was flattened & never rebuilt.

Old 12-14-2002, 05:53 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default There's so much I want to see

Since I was in Vietnam, Ive been to Ecuador, Hawaii, Peru, , the Bahamas, France, Italy, Saudi Arabia, Colombia, Mexico, Spain, Canada, some other countries I'm forgetting, and half the states in this country including Alaska and Hawaii. Ive been to Europe 3 times and I'll be taking another long trip there this summer.
But there's no place I'm so curious to see as Vietnam and why not? It was the biggest year of my life--and the one most shrouded in mystery.--There's nothing else in my life I put so much into yet still feel so ambivalent about. And nothing else seems so mysterious--I went where they told me to go and did what they told me to do but they sure didn't overburden me with information about what I was doing and it sure seemed like I was doing it out in the middle of nowhere most of the time. They never sent me anywhere nice, and no error there. I know a WHOLE lot more about the country now, the layout, roads and all, then I did then
It was the biggest year of my life, it was probably my most defining year. Why wouldn't I want to see it? Why wouldn't I want to see how it all turned out? I don't have any hard feelings to them ,actually have a grudging admiration for them.
"Curiosity Killed the cat
Satisfaction brought him back"
it took my Dad 25 years to go back to Europe after WWII, this'll be 35 years for me. He said it was really cathartic for him and I hope this will be so for me.
Life is what you make of it--you all know me:cocky as hell and not afraid of much
I always have a good time wherever I go because I always take a good time with me
James
Old 12-14-2002, 01:49 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default James

If you take Rt 9 to Khe sanh keep going for another couple miles and yo'll run into where Lang Vie was, Special Forces camp, I was just outside this place. If you make a hard right turn around, your in Laos.
good luck
Ron
Old 12-20-2002, 07:59 AM

James,
Going back to the Nam ! Good for you let us know how you found it. It will be very interesting .

Bill
Old 12-20-2002, 03:02 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Update

Thanks Bill

Been looking at some stuff aboput this--evidently Vietnamese veterans have set up tours for American veterans in 4 different areas. This will be great!! Just what i wanted!!
I'll be doing at least one, the HCM Trail and the Centreal Highlands--this was my bailiwick, or that which I like to call my bailiwick: (from vietnamtourism.com)
(this is a great site!)

NORTHERN TOUR ROUTES
Tourspots
Tours from Hanoi
SOUTHERN TOUR ROUTES
Tourspots
Mekong Delta

CENTRAL COAST AND CENTRAL HIGHLAND TOUR ROUTES
Tourspots The Central Highlands

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quang Tri Citadel Vinh Moc Tunnels Dong Loc Junction

The War Veteran Tours has been set up by Vietnamese veterans for their foreign counterparts who participated in the two Indochina Wars. These are special tour programs for those who have served in Viet Nam and now wish to revisit the former locations and areas of their former units, the Viet Cong war zones, and especially former battlefields. There are also more extensive programs for veterans from all countries (U.S., South Korea, Thailand, Australia, France, Philippines) who were part of wars in Vietnam. These tours enable veterans to visit places in our country, whether they are in the south or the north.

Ho Chi Minh Trail: This trail initially started out as a small trail in the mountainous ranges of Truong Son for foot soldiers only, but later developed into an intricate, interlaced road network along the majestic mountains for foot messengers, guides, and big trucks. For more than a decade, the Ho Chi Minh Trail was a special supply and communication line from north Viet Nam to the battlefields of south Viet Nam.

Khe Sanh (Quang Tri Province): Khe Sanh is situated at a very important location in Quang Tri province, 600 km south of Hanoi. It is a valley in between the jungles and mountains, with an area of nearly 10 km2. Geographically, this valley is like the Dien Bien Phu valley (northwest of Vietnam), which was considered one of the most important US Army?s bases and defense lines from 1966 to 1967.

Ben Hai River: From 1954 to 1957, the Ben Hai River served as the demarcation line between the Republic of Viet Nam (South Viet Nam) and the Democratic Republic of Viet Nam (North Viet Nam). The Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) consisted of a 5 km area on either side of the demarcation line.

Truong Son Cemetery: Located on top of a hill at the center of 8 others, in the formation of a blooming flower with 8 petals in Vinh Truong Village, Gio Linh District, Quang Tri Province of 106 hectares in area, the main cemetery has an area of 46 hectares holding 10,327 graves of Vietnamese soldiers who died during the war. It is divided into five zones: the Central Zone with the memorial and four others classified by names of provinces. There is a group of memorials between Zone 4 and Zone 5 demonstrating the courageous spirit of Regiment 559, and showing the friendship between Vietnam and Laos. Every year, this cemetery welcomes about 20,000 visitors from everywhere in the country and abroad. Among them are foreign visitors who flew thousands of miles to pay a visit to Truong Son Cemetery.

.................................................. .................................................. ........

POTENTIALITY

THE CENTRAL HIGHLANDS
V

At an altitude of approximately 900 metres, the Central Highlands consists of three vast plateaus, Gia Lai-Kon Tu, Daklak, and Lam Dong, covering a total area of 55,000 sq.km. The Central Highlands, or Tay Nguyen, is endowed with fertile red soil, 70% of which is formed by basaltic lava and used for the cultivation of rubber, coffee, and tea. Its diverse flora and fauna and rich mineral resources are also well known. The rainy season here lasts for seven months (from May to November), while the dry season normally begins in December and ends by April. This region is also home to 27 ethnic minority groups which include the Gia Rai, Ba Na, Rades, Sadong, Nhang, K?ho and H?re.

HIGHLIGHTS

Da Lat
Pleiku
Ban Me Thuot
Kontum

DA LAT

Dalat is some 300 km from HCM City. The site of Dalat was "developed" in 1893 by Alexandre Yersin but the city itself was established in 1912. Dalat rapidly became popular with the Europeans as it was a cool retreat from the sweltering heat of the coastal plains and the Mekong Delta. It was once called "Le Petit Paris", and is a great compliment for the city of Dalat as its economy is based primarily on tourism with 400,000 domestic tourists visiting every year. This 'City of Love' was built on a plateau some 1,500 metres above sea level, enjoying the mild climate of an everlasting spring with marvelous landscapes, waterfalls, lakes, springs, pine hills, beautiful flowers, and French built villas.

HIGHLIGHTS

Prenn and Datanla Falls
Bao Dai?s Summer Palace
Gougah Waterfall
Linh Son Pagoda
Lake Xuan Huong(Lake of Sighs)
Dalat Cathedral
Valley of Love
Dalat Central Market
Flower Garden
Dalat Golf Course
Ethnology Museum

PLEIKU
Pleiku is a market town in the centre of a vast and fertile plateau whose red soil is of volcanic origin. Most of the 40,000 inhabitants of this town are members of ethnic minorities. Pleiku is 830 km from Nha Trang. There are now weekly Vietnam Airlines flights to Pleiku from both HCM city and Ha Noi.

HIGHLIGHTS

Pleiku
Gia Lai Forest.
Yali Waterfall.
Old 12-20-2002, 03:06 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default This is the one

HCM - PLEIKU - BUON MA THUOT - NHA TRANG ( 9days/ 8nights)

Day 1: Transfer from Tan Son Nhat Airport in HCMC. City tour of HCMC (Saigon) including the Reunification Conference Hall (formerly the South Vietnamese Presidential Palace), US Embassy grounds and the War Remnants Museum. Overnight in HCMC.

Day 2: Morning drive to Thu Duc, Bien Hoa and Long Binh before departing for the Cu Chi Tunnels. A dinner cruise on the Saigon River. Overnight in HCMC.

Day 3: Fly to Qui Nhon. Travel to Kontum via Highway No.19 with stop over at An Khe and Manyang passes, luncheon in Pleiku with local veteran's representative. Overnight in Kontum.

Day 4: Full day jeep excursion into the areas surrounding Kontum. Overnight in Kontum.

Day 5: Drive to Nhon Hoa Village for an elephant ride exploring the jungles in the proximity of Ia Drang Valley, hike in the surrounding areas of the ethnic people. Dinner and entertainment with the Montagnards. Overnight in Village Long-house.

Day 6: Drive to Buon Ma Thuot, capital of Daklak Province, to explore the areas surrounding the last major battle site of March 1975. Overnight in Buon Ma Thuot.

Day 7: Excursion to Nha Trang via Highway No.21 with stop over at Chain Ponagar Towers, free for exploration in Nha Trang.

Day 8: Day boat trip to Mun Island and enjoy swimming, visit Oceanographic Institute, free time. Overnight in Nha Trang.

Day 9: Departure for USA via HCMC or begin next tour module.

i can't believe this--I'm actually going to walk through the Ia Drang Valley one more time eat with the Yards and drive through MangYang Pass also
Miracles happen, just like sht
Told ya I seen elphants in the ia drang Valley, didn't I?

James

Old 12-20-2002, 03:29 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

James I think this trip will really be of great benifit to you. If I were you I would contact PBS and see if the would sponcer you and another few guys from the patriot files for a group return and healing vacation I know i would watch it . and God bless you james if more people checked as deep into a trip as you they would know it takes alot from both sides to heal and i'm sure you are on the road to wholeness your friend chris