The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Political Debate

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-19-2020, 09:05 AM

Arrow Trump says he 'might' veto defense bill over removing Confederate base names

Trump says he 'might' veto defense bill over removing Confederate base names
By: Justine Coleman - The Hill News - 07-19-20
Re: https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-...ng-confederate

President Trump said Sunday that he “might” veto a defense spending bill because of its inclusion of a provision to remove the names of Confederate leaders from Army bases.

“I might,” Trump told Fox News's Chris Wallace during an at times testy interview that aired Sunday morning. “Yeah, I might.”

Trump was a little less certain about the veto Sunday than he has been in the past,.

On June 30, he was more definitive, saying he would veto he defense bill if it included language renaming based that had been named after Gen. Robert E. Lee and other Confederates.

The language is included in the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), and is expected to remain after the House and Senate conclude their work on the bill, The annual measure funds military operations and would include a pay hike for members of the military.

Wallace repeatedly pressed Trump about the possibility of a veto throughout the interview. The first time, Trump said soldiers will “get their pay raise,” adding “I got soldiers the biggest pay raises in the history of our military.”

When Wallace again asked if he’s going to veto the bill, Trump answered, “Because I think that Fort Bragg, Fort Robert E. Lee, all of these forts that have been named that way for a long time, decades and decades…” “But the military says they’re for this,” Wallace inserted, leading (Trump to say, “I don’t care what the military says. I do – I’m supposed to make the decision.”)

Trump cited that two World Wars were won out of Fort Bragg, named after Confederate General Braxton Bragg.

“We won out of all of these forts that now they want to throw those names away,” the president said. “And, no, I’m against that, and you know what, most other people are.”

“No, I’m not going to go changing them,” he added.

An ABC News-Ipsos poll from last month found a majority, 56 percent, of Americans are against renaming military bases named after Confederate leaders.

The House Appropriations Committee passed the defense spending bill last week including $1 million in funding for the Army to change the names of its bases named after Confederate leaders. The Army has 10 bases named after Confederate officers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal note: Trump is back-stepping on the base name issues. I knew this would happen. The American History is pretty much an issue by many. It's his "because he can attitude" that given enough time he will flip-flop because of feed back that he wouldn't listen to early on. He's too spontaneous and he overloads his responses before his brain digested what he is saying. He's not tuned in and I fear Biden may be a better listener but both these guys have got too much age on them. We need to set up some new rules for U.S. President's in office. Let's say 50 to 60 max. age to be a president. Senility factor's are needed for world leaders. I'd also prefer military or congressional leaders who've been there and know the ramifications of spontaneous action that can lead to irreversible results. Folks we're looking at the entire World - not just the USA. NATO is a great think tank we don't include them in many world issues. Yes the USA is great but only if it works with Team Player's and much thought is given to each other's actions.

Yes there are plenty of bad guys in out world. Russia - China - North Korea and a few more. They are all too radical and way too unempathetic.

The USA used to be looked up to by other many Countries but nowadays they have to be wondering what in hell happen to us. Our current world wide operations seem that our government is now a one person (or a small group) who possesses absolute power without effective constitutional limitations. This is dangerous.

Here's a description of Five Types of Government System(s):

#1 Democracy

a. A democracy can be defined as a government system with supreme power placed in the hands of the people. It can be traced back to as early as the fifth century B.C. In fact, the word democracy is Greek for “people power”. While most use the United States as an example of a democratic government system, (*) the United States actually has what is called a representative democracy. The difference lies in the method of civilian participation. In a direct democracy, every citizen is given an equal say in the government.

b. (*) In a representative democracy, citizens elect representatives who make the law. The difference is significant when put into action. Other examples of democratic states include Aruba, Bulgaria, Canada, Costa Rica and the Dominican Republic.

#2 Republic

In a republic government system, the power also rests with the people, as they are in charge of electing or choosing the country’s leader, instead of the leader being appointed or inheriting power. Broadly defined, a republic is a government system without a monarch. A republic may be governed by a group of nobles, as long as there is not a single monarch. Some examples of countries with a republic government system include Argentina, Bolivia, Czech Republic and France.

#3 Monarchy

In a monarchy, state power is held by a single family that inherits rule from one generation to the next. In a monarchy, an individual from the royal family holds the position of power until they die. Today, the majority of monarchy governments have transitioned to constitutional monarchies, where the monarch is head of state but only performs ceremonial roles and does not have state power. Only a few countries still have systems where the monarch retains control; these include Brunei, Oman, Saudi Arabia and Swaziland.

#4 Communism

A communist government system is usually based on a particular ideology of communism taught by Karl Marx or Vladimir Lenin. A single party or group of people usually runs communist states. In some cases, citizens of a communist state are given certain jobs or life duties in an effort to obtain collective citizenship for the state. Examples of communist states include China, Cuba and Vietnam.

#5 Dictatorship

In a dictatorship, a single person, a dictator, has absolute power over the state. It is not necessarily ruled by a theology or belief. It is an authoritarian form of government where one person is in charge of enforcing and enacting the law. Aspects often include military organizational backing, unfair elections (if any) and various human rights violations. A dictator does not usually inherit their power like a monarch does; they either seize control of the state by force or through (usually unfair) elections. Dictators are not held accountable for their actions and thus are free to do as they please, including limiting citizens’ rights. Burundi, Chad, Equatorial Guinea and North Korea are contemporary examples of countries run by a dictator.

While these types of government systems all vary, they have at least one similarity: the allocation of power. Whether it be the allocation of power to a single person, a group of people, or evenly distributed to everyone, power is the shared theme of all types of government systems.

– by: Haley Hine

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links