The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2006, 11:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62
Default Veterans Appreciation Picnic in Rhode Island

If you are now serving in the military, or if you have ever served,
we invite you, your family and your friends to a relaxing day by the Bay in Warwick, RI on Sunday, August 27 from 11 to 5PM, rain or shine. This is NOT a fundraiser--just an opportunity for us to simply say "thank you" for your service, and do it in a relaxing, upbeat and fun atmosphere.

Several former Red Sox ballplayers will also be on hand to express their gratitude, as well as welcome the Ted Williams airplane to Rhode Island. Admission, food and great door prizes are FREE to veterans and their guests, but we ask you to register so we make sure we have enough food for everyone.

The second purpose of the day is to remind ourselves that we have more political clout as veterans than we may realize. In Sunday's PROJO one headline reads, "Victory Day endures despite skirmishes to stop it."

The article describes several unsuccessful attempts by politicians to eliminate the holiday. "Each time, lawmakers met overwhelming opposition...", the article continues. "...bills died because veterans groups turned out in force to rally against them."

Let's unite to fight other, perhaps more important battles--about
economic and medical issues that affect us and our families on a
daily basis.

According to the 2000 census, there are some 118,000 Rhode Islanders who have served in the military. Add in families, and you have a major force to be reckoned with in a state that only has some 660,000 registered voters.

As soon as we announced this picnic, elected officials and candidates for office were quick to commit to attend. As of today, some 17 candidates for statewide office and the US Congress have expressed support for this event.

Perhaps we don't know our own strength--but those runnning for office do!

A large turnout will impress candidates, and will cause them to pay more attention to the issues which are important to veterans and their families.

Fellow veterans, come to the Shriners Buttonwoods Youth Center off Long Street in Warwick anytime between 11 and 5PM on on Sunday, August 27. Bring your family and friends--but remember, YOU must register for your entire group.

Registration details are on the attached form. Questions? Call
Christie or Bob at 401-398-1000, or visit our website at
http://www.saratogamuseum.org.

Frank Lennon
USS Saratoga Museum Foundation, Inc.
401-831-8696

P.S. Please forward this to other veterans on your e-mail list to
help ensure maximum attendance.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2006, 06:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

BTT

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 08-23-2006, 06:23 AM

BTT

Old 08-23-2006, 02:57 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I better not show up, I'm a die hard Yankee fan, don't think RSox fans will care if I'm a vet or not.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
Old 08-23-2006, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Ryan I better not show up, I'm a die hard Yankee fan, don't think RSox fans will care if I'm a vet or not.
Sure you'd be more than welcomed, shipmate. Hell, I wore a New York Rangers Jersey to a Bruins home game and made it out a live!
It's gonna be an other subway series World Series, hopefully!