The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2004, 12:22 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Ca

We did a CA one time with Chinooks. 3 of them to be exact. we landed in a field just outside Kontum. We were to support a unit from the 173rd and were to provide a flanking prevention for a NVA unit in the area.
Ever do a CA in a Chinook? Where is Bitz when you need him.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2004, 02:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 

Ron

Yea...Did a CA one time in a Chinook......hated it. The whole flight I was thinking what a big slow target we made... especially landing. A CA in slicks, we never even set down...always jumped out.

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 06:50 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default CA

I'm not sure I ever did a CA out of a Chinook, but I did ride in them. Maybe what they called a CA, we just strolled out of the back. Never jumped out of one either.
I only CAed out of slicks and that was scary enough

James
Old 09-05-2004, 11:46 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default choppers

Few years ago went to a 25th ID reunion. Met two guys who were in my Bat. One was there in 66, another in 70, they seemed to have fought in two different wars. So it would seem all we can speak to are our own experiences.

Using $hith-hooks for an assault, never heard of it. They were used for supplies and support, in a cool area sometimes to remove wounded and dead. Even saw one with a damaged APC sling loaded.

There were used to move troops from a base camp to a fire support base but in what could turn into a hot LZ, no.

Stay healthy,
Andy
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 04:17 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Hueys

I don't think the 4th had any hueys, Every one I road in had a 101 patch on the front or a cav patch or a dolphin , I remember one time rideing with 4 hueys that had big sharks mouth painted on the front like an old P-51 . They only let 5 of us on each huey for some reason. A lot of the hueys I road on I didn't even look at the markings, they seemed to change so often, Oh yea I almost forgot the "A" of spades hueys.

Ron
Old 09-10-2004, 08:50 AM
Robert J Ryan

I only CA'd in Hueys, sometimes they landed, most of the time is jump off the huey and hit the LZ.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:27 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Ron

I never CA'd out of a Chinook either. Only Hueys. Like with most of the others, had to jump from them. A couple times they hovered so high we would have to throw our rucks out before jumping.

I, too, remember the Dolphins and Sharks. They inserted us several times while in Tuy Hoa and Duc Pho. It was the Sharks that took the 2/502 and 1/327 in on the big CA into the mountains west of Duc Pho in MAY67. It was awesome to see. The biggest CA that I had been involved in.