The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-25-2003, 05:36 AM

Lightbulb Brother 101st Airborne KIA

Robert Morneweck 101st Air-borne KIA

I am Arthur , Robert?s older brother by 3 years.In spring of 1944 he came to see me at Gettysburg College, where I was a Army Air Corp. Cadet. Little did I know this would be the last time I would see him. Robert was shorter than me (I am 5? 10?) but was solidly built.. He was in high school R.O.T.C. and was so proud when he received his paratrooper wings.,the following is from a letter my family received from one of Robert?s buddy?s father

He (Robert) was smaller than the other parachutists we knew and did not appear to be as sturdy.The last Sunday the boys were all at our house ,he demonstrated,at least, that I was wrong about that.. Several of my sons Washingtons friends were also at the party., including one boy in the Navy who described one of their setting up exercises.It starts with a push up from the floor, done with a sufficient snap to throw the body into the air..While up there, the trick is to clap the hands and click the heels together quickly enough to catch yourself before you shove your nose through the carpet..TheNavy boy did it once, very badly but Robert was interested. ?That looks like a good trick? he said. So he spread himself out on the floor and did the thing ten times. I thinkhe could have done more but I stopped him, having some idea that the house might fall down if I didn?t..I will include a letter he sent to our mother on Mother?s Day. And a letter his buddy sent also.

I am lost as to what happened to him. The letters he sent home got lost through years of time. I know he was wounded in Battle of the Bulge at Bastogne. And was killed on a night action on Rhine River. I will post another post of where he is buried and the school teacher who takes care of his grave in Holland

Art long ago air man
Old 08-25-2003, 08:43 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Keep your stories coming Art we are reading them...

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 03:25 AM

The folllowing is typed from original my mother had from Robert
Mother,
I am writing you a letter from school. Are teacher said, ?It would be nice if we
would writh to our Mother?s for Mother?s Day May 8, 1938. You?re the best mother in
the world to me.The best that will ever be. This is just a rememberance of Mother?s
Day. I think Mothers day is the best day that will ever be. You press my pants and
Things. I hope you don?t mind the bad handwriting. I hope you will be the mother I want
You to be. I will be a good boy if everybody will not (holwer) holler at me.. I like school
A lot , it is swell.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:52 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Unhappy

Art , thanks for sharing - it helps. I lost my younger brother 13 years ago and a blood brother a few weeks ago. Trying to find comfort in their memories even today
Old 08-26-2003, 05:39 AM

There are no words at a time such as this that are "right" or really "comforting" or that can make it better for you. I will not tell you that time will make it all better. It will not! How-ever the passing of time will make it easier to accept and cope with.God knows best in all things noo matter the hurt or not under-standing.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:56 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Art , knowing others have been down this path and can share their experiences here gives me the knowledge that I am not the Lone Ranger on this path - and that gives me comfort. Thank you and your brother for your service and Welcome Home , brother.