The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-20-2005, 06:33 PM

Default 101st airborne George Koskimaki

I was talking with George Koskimarki on the phone. He gave me directions to get to his house but my daughters say I only get half of a conversation, so I printed a map from computer.. I arrived to see a dozen condo?s and I was looking for 1212. I knocked on the door, no answer. I got in the car and called George and said I was sitting in front of 1212 and where was he. George said he could see me, that his address is 1224. My normal day.

George wife died last year and my wife died 3 years ago. We talked about our lovely wives and found that both of us met our wives on a blind date. . Then we found George lived near 8 mile and Gratiot where I met my blind date wife. This was also near Hartung Air Field at Gratiot and 10 ? mile road where I received my pilots licensees. It was a small field but George said he seen a C-47 land there. We talked about the good old timers. He often took his wife and daughter downtown to shop at J. L. Hudson and have lunch in old Hudson store. We had a good time and found I am older than George (a couple of months)
I showed him a picture of my brother K.I.A. with 101st. Now George?s house looks like a library of books and boxes, he went in the other room and came back with two names and addresses of two of my brother?s buddy?s. I just finished writing to both of them. George was personal radio operator for General Maxwell Taylor and Taylor got Purple Heart when in a bellower shrapnel in the ass hit him, he had to keep his ass in the air for 10 days.
George took me to lunch at American Restraint 8 mile and Farmington Road, he has special both. \, Second from front. We passed Finish building of 101st monthly lunch and across 8 mile is cemetery his wife is buried in. When we got back to his house, he gave me Hells Highway book signed by him and picture of C-47 dropping paratroopers When I left I said what should I tell Marion, he said tell her that he found two of Roberts Buddy?s.
I gave George e-mail copy of how I met my wife and post of Marion on Feb 16 lunches. He enjoyed reading them all and I could see him smile, he said Marion is a very good writer and she has the ability to get her thoughts down in writing. . As I did, he said every day he thinks of his wife.

papa