The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2005, 05:23 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Paint your house

Anyone have to paint there house? Most houses now are fiberglass or plastic sidding or brick. But if you do have to paint your house I Know of a paint that is very very good for you.
Let me know and I'll send you info, Im not selling anything.
Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2005, 05:46 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Camo House

I'm going to be painting my house this spring--Camo !! Anyone else got a Cammo house?
I haven't decide whether I"m going to paint it actually a cammo pattern or paint trees and shrubs on it to camoflauge it. I'll probably try one way per side untill I like it. Its wood siding.
I used Kelly Moore paint for years but now I Think Benjamin Moore is better paint.
Any paint job is only as good as the one underneath it.
So whats your good idea about paint,Ron"
Stay good
JAMES
Old 12-16-2005, 06:25 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

James,

We use Pittsburgh's Manor House indoor or outdoor depending, obviously what we're going to paint. We have had tremendous luck with it. I don't know about Oregon, but we have a fungus problem here in the lowcountry. (swamp) Pittsburgh tested it's paints in Hilton Head, with a anti-fungal additive and has been found to be the best for this type of environment. Just a little bleach and water takes the fungus right off. I hear it rains a lot in Oregon but not sure if you have the same problem. The fungus just looks like dirt really until you try and clean it with soap and water. Just a suggestion....our neighbors have painted twice since we did the remoldeling and we haven't had to paint at all.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:25 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default MOLd

Quote:
Originally posted by Paco James,

We use Pittsburgh's Manor House indoor or outdoor depending, obviously what we're going to paint. We have had tremendous luck with it. I don't know about Oregon, but we have a fungus problem here in the lowcountry. (swamp) Pittsburgh tested it's paints in Hilton Head, with a anti-fungal additive and has been found to be the best for this type of environment. Just a little bleach and water takes the fungus right off. I hear it rains a lot in Oregon but not sure if you have the same problem. The fungus just looks like dirt really until you try and clean it with soap and water. Just a suggestion....our neighbors have painted twice since we did the remoldeling and we haven't had to paint at all.

Pack

Pack
What we have here is a serious mold problem--don't know if this counts as fungus. Ive been puttiing antii mold in paint for years.
We have a mold here that sits on the shady side mostly but it is as slippery as black ice (another OR problem) I slipped down the outside stairs last spring, thought I'd cracked some ribs, took me weeks to get over it. (side note: went through jumpschool with a rib seperation)
I PUT down that abrasive, self sticking, sandpaperlike stuff they use on skateboards (advantage to having a son here, who suggested it)all over our outside stairs and deck, this works good.
Part of the foundation to our house was layed in the 1850s (its been redone since) and some of the wood siiding (V Rustic) must be 50+ years old, with maybe 6 or more coats of paint. This will take a lot of prep--a good paint job is all abot the prep. Water pressure wash and then scrape--this is a 3 story house so this will take a while.
I'm going to take a look at the stuff Ron suggested--anythig to add R facter without opening the walls is a good idea.
THis is a great house for a remodeler like myself, it will take some time to get this all arranged the wayy I want to. Beleiieve it or not, this house had NO exterior lights at all--now I got em and motion sensitive lights too. Just put in a new pellet stove (400+ Lbs to drag in by myyself) and laundry sink.
MEAnwhile I have to chop wood also. Good thing I'm still young.
Stay good
James
Old 12-16-2005, 07:41 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default James

10% bleach/water solution in a spray bottle will kill your mold. You may have to do it a couple time over a two week period depending on how bad your mold is. If its bad, pull off your base boards on the inside and spray there also.
If you have unpainted wood the bleach will turn the wood a light color so unless you want a light color don't put bleach on unprotected wood.
Ron
Old 12-16-2005, 07:49 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Re: James

Quote:
Originally posted by 39mto39g 10% bleach/water solution in a spray bottle will kill your mold. You may have to do it a couple time over a two week period depending on how bad your mold is. If its bad, pull off your base boards on the inside and spray there also.
If you have unpainted wood the bleach will turn the wood a light color so unless you want a light color don't put bleach on unprotected wood.
Ron
THanks Ron
We don't seem to have a mold problem on the inside, its the outtside that needs the work. (the inside was fresh painted when we bought last spring) I been using bleach on mold for ages. IMPORTANT NOTE!!! Don't ever mix bleach with ammonia (LIKE Pinesol or equiivalent) it creates a deadly gas.
This problem is way worse than ever I seen in CA.
stay good
JAMES
Old 12-16-2005, 08:01 AM

I used to paint every three years or so. Paint would blister and lift off and I'd scrap and power wash and primer and repaint. Finally the wife said that's it - get the siders on call and lets get this stuff done once and for all. She said I don't need you falling off the ladder. See she is worry about me not being able to work. Whata gal. Married 39 years and I knew her for four years before that. Whew that is a long time.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 08:11 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Boats

Not only is she good for you (39 years) she is also Right.

Ron