The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2004, 06:22 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default "Hoosier" Daddy?

http://hoosiergazette.com/News/Oct2004/news003.htm

76% of straight Hoosiers would marry a person of the same sex to have better health coverage

Here is the scenario:

You are a straight man. You like your job but your cheesy company has a terrible health benefit package with poor coverage. A single male friend of yours works a job with excellent benefits. You could be on your friend?s health plan for the same price you are currently paying, if only you go down to the local courthouse and get legally married. Would you do it?

In a recent Gallop poll, over 76% of single Hoosiers polled said yes, they would participate in a civil union with a person of the same sex if it meant they would have a better health plan.

More and more Hoosiers are being squeezed by employers trying to increase profit margins by switching to cheaper, lower-quality providers and making employees pay a higher percentage of their health premiums. As a result, many Indiana residents are willing to do just about anything to have decent health benefits.

?If gay marriage was legalized, I would do it in a heartbeat,? said self-employed Greenfield resident Todd McKinley, who currently is without health insurance, ?Don?t get me wrong, I?m not gay, I just want to be able to go to the doctor when I need to without worrying about paying through the nose for it.?

?I don?t see anything wrong with it,? said Indianapolis steamfitter Bryan Overton, ?Just because you have a marriage certificate doesn?t mean you have to be in love or bone each other.?

Even though the majority of straight Hoosiers support an amendment to our state?s constitution that would allow gay marriage, the people who are against it make up a very vocal minority.

?Legalizing gay unions would be an abomination,? says Brownsburg preacher Tim Elliott, ?The state would be endorsing immoral behavior. What?s next, polygamy, so people can save even more money? Not everything should come down to dollars and cents!?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess, in Indiana, if they ask, "Who's y'ar?", it doesn't matter what the answer is!

Old 10-18-2004, 07:18 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Doc
Being from Indiana.....Transplanted from New York. (Go Yankees)
I've done some crazy, stupid things in my life but that would not be one of them.
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 10:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tina Send a message via Yahoo to Tina
Distinctions
POM 

i too am from indiana.. After living in NY for years.. (go yankees)
but i have to agree with bob on this one.
love ya
God Bless,
Tina

To the past: Thank you for all you did for our Country..

To the future: Thank you for all you will do for our Country

To those we have lost past prestent and future: R.I.P You might be gone.BUT you will NEVER be forgotten
Old 10-18-2004, 02:19 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

"You may now kiss the bride."
Old 10-19-2004, 08:33 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default Sticking with the theme...

Tonight, on TBS, a new show debuts. It's called, "He's A Lady" http://tbssuperstation.com/shows/hesalady. I'll let y'all click on the link for all the gory details. Personally, this is NOT "Must See TV"!!
Old 10-19-2004, 09:14 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Thats some sick damn program
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 10-19-2004, 02:03 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Why is a Civil Union necessary? Big secret, but most well known US Corps have health benefit coverage for ?significant others? and it?s only a matter of giving a name, etc., and it?s a done deal. No legal paperwork or anything such as that. Heck, even opposite sex couples that aren?t married can get coverage for their significant other. Whilst all the boo-hooing about Gay Rights and such has been going on, Corporate America has been making lots of progress but keeping out of the lime light lest they steal some politico?s thunder who needs to say ?look what I done?.

Scamp
Old 10-19-2004, 03:27 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

My grandmother and her sister lived on their farm for well over 60 years. My grandmother was a widowed schoolteacher and had my father just before my granfather died of TB. She had lost her left arm as a child and couldn't care for a baby by herself so her sister moved in to help her. I guess by modern terminology they were domestic partners but my aunt didn't get any benefits from living with her sister all those years. They didn't have health care insurance for teachers back then but if they had my aunt would have been out of luck. I think there is a need for someone living in a non-traditional household for whatever the reason to be able to at least designate them on insurance, etc. It has nothing to do with sexual issues, it just recognizes living partnerships. In pushing gay marriage the "gay" community has damaged the prospects of the other issue from ever being resolved. It has become another sloppery slope issue. "Granting domestic partners this right will put us on the slippery slope to gay marriage." I don't believe in so called ideology, especially if it can't stand the critique of common sense. All the present ideologies whether left or right run like scalded dogs form common sense. Maybe we should call them idiotologies.